Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mommy to Miracle Twins waiting.for.baby's Avatar
    Thanks

Question High Blood Pressure and Bed Rest....

For those who had/have high blood pressure, did you go straight to bed rest/modified bed rest when the blood pressure became an on-going issue?? I am on Aldomet, and have been for a month, but my BP is getting worse every week even at 1,000 mgs. a day. It's now up to 160/105. My doc is adding another med next week, but I'm really starting to get worried. I am 19 weeks PG with twins. We discussed bed rest briefly, and he didn't mention me having to go on it yet. I don't want to be on bed rest at all, but if it's better for the babies, then so be it...So, I was just wondering if anyone else ended up on bed rest with high BP, and if so, when in the pregnancy...

TIA

Thanks

I'm not sure how much bed rest really helps with BP issues. The more I've read about bed rest, it seems useless in many cases and is really to show doctors' due diligence. It doesn't always improve outcomes (gosh, that sounds awful, I don't mean to sound scary.)

The good news is there are other safe BP meds in pg and I believe some can even be combined like your OB said.

If you're not seeing a perinatologist too, it's time to get to one.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this...it's scary! Has your OB talked about any other meds like Labetalol?

Would you consider any alternative remedies? Some include taking a calcium/magnesium supplement, swimming or floating in a pool, and eating more protein and nutritious veggies (like on the Brewer Diet). There are other alternative remedies too.

I hope things look up for you. BP issues are definitely no fun.

Thanks

I forgot to mention...my pressures were a little lower than yours and my doc just had me cut back work from 8 to 6 hours a day. At the end of my pregnancy, I was put on BR for a week.

Thanks

I had high bp after my first pregnancy but luckily with the twins the aldomet did the trick for me. I will keep you and your little beans in my prayers. A twin pregnancy is stressful enough without having additional health problems for sure! Stop on over and join the multiple mommies thread...lots of great advice on more than 1 and just a terrific bunch of ladies! We'd love to have you!
    Lori
    3rd round of follistim produced bunches of fat follies
    Megan Catherine and Mackenzie Mae - Born 12/29/2005

3rd round of repronex produced 3 fat follies
    Matthew Michael - Born 4/10/2003

Thanks

i was also on aldomet and as time went on my BP did increase some...but not as high as yours is, i'm sure if it had bed rest would have been enforced.
    Dreama -31- Mommy to Tatham (7) and Dalton (5) and Sepp (babycakes)

Thanks

My BP was a little high starting at the beginning of my pregnancy. Once it got as high as yours (at 24 weeks) I spent the night in the hospital and they added another medicine. I was only there about 36 hours (they also did a 24 hour urine) and once they felt my BP was under control I went home on bedrest. Forgot to say that when I got pregnant I was already on Toprol for my tachycardia but it's also used for BP (not ideal for pregnancies though). Then they added methylodopa. My BP continued to creep up over the next week or so. I spent another night in the hospital. Then it went up more and I was admitted to the hospital where they added another medicine. Can't remember the name....started with a P I think. Sorry. I was on hospital bedrest for about 2 weeks. Even with that my BP was up and down. When I was 30 weeks my BP spiked to the 190's/110's. I was still on 3 BP meds and they also had to give me an IV med. I delivered that afternoon by c-section.

I definately agree with Ammarrah....you need to see a perinatologist to make sure that your BP is not affecting them. They need to be doing biophysicals. Have they been checking the protein in your urine? Do you work? If so is it a stressful environment? Like ammarrah said I don't know how much bedrest really helps. But stress can definately not be good for your BP. If work is causing stress then it may be time to think about stopping. Goodluck!
    Adopted DD Maddy born 11/15/05 with us since 5/12/06
    DS Christian born 10 wks early weighing 2 lbs 13 ozs 6/26/06
    Angel baby 9/2005 @ 12 wks

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input!! Hmm, well, I really want to stop working because yes, it is stressful for me because I commute 3 hrs. a day. I plan on giving this new medication a shot before quitting work...If it doesn't work, then I will definetly quit. I have not seen a Perintologist YET as this has just became an uncontrolled issue recently...I really thought the Aldomet would do the trick. I will talk to my doc about seeing one, and if he recommends anyone in particular. He seems to be primarily concerned with developing Preclampsia later on down the line....But I know HBP can cause IUGR (intra-uterine growth retardation) as well...

Well, thanks again for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it

Thanks

So you are seeing just a regular ob?

Lori

Thanks

Yes, a regular OB/GYN...He's really great, though. One of the best in NJ. I feel very comfortable with him in how he is managing my pregnancy. I will see a perinatoligist too as well, though. I think it's for the best from I've read and what you all say. I can't help but feel naturally nervous from all that's going on...So far, I see my OB/GYN, cardiologist, regular doctor (for referrals), and now most likely a Peri. Well, whatever it takes for my babies to be/remain healthy...I'll do anything and see any doctor I need to.

Oh, and my OB called me today and discussed a few new meds for me to try, and he explained a few of them. I don't know the name of the med he recommended and agreed on, but I am on my way to pick it up from the pharmacy in a few minutes. I also discussed the growth issues with the babies (IUGR), and he said that at this stage they won't be affected (my Level II u/s last week had them right on target for growth and such), but he said it can affect them later on in the pregnancy if my BP is above 160/105 persistantly. Today it was 150/95....It usually varies from 140/90 - 160/100....

Well, off to the pharmacy...praying this medication does the trick.....

Thanks

Got my fingers crossed for you! Good luck and keep us all posted!
    Lori

Thanks

Do you have a home BP machine? If not you should really think about getting one. Get the kind that you put on your arm, not the wrist. Goodluck!
    Adopted DD Maddy born 11/15/05 with us since 5/12/06
    DS Christian born 10 wks early weighing 2 lbs 13 ozs 6/26/06
    Angel baby 9/2005 @ 12 wks

Hidden Content

Thanks

I am only carrying one baby but I have been having problems with high bp since around 6-8 weeks. My Ob finally put me on 500mg of Aldomet twice a day but just like you my bp was steadily increasing. I was hospitalized last Monday night b/c the Aldomet increased my liver enzymes so my OB has not but me on 500mg of Labetalol twice a day. I also worried about IUGR but at my 33 week BPP my little girl weighed 5lbs & 5oz so my ob does not think IUGR will even be an issue for me.

What is the name of the new medication? I hope all goes well for you and your little ones.
    Jessica (25) & DH (26)
    PCOS Dx 7/2002
    TTC #1 10/2001-7/2006
    TTC #2 6/2008 - ?
    Meds: Prenate Elite, 1500 mg Metformin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I just got put on Labetalol today, and its making me kind of sick. I had PIH with my DS that turned into preeclampsia. He was born at 32 weeks with in-utero growth disorder, leaving him 2 lbs. 3 oz. He was not getting enough blood through the placenta, which had aged futher than my pregnancy. So this time, I am going to take the bedrest much more seriously. I'm not telling this to make you worried, but to show you how serious it is. I disagree heartily with anyone who would advise you not to take it seriously. Without it I'm convinced my son and I wouldn't be here today. I've made it further with this baby without meds, and I haven't been put on bedrest yet, but when my doc gives the word, down I go no questions asked. It does help the body to be at rest, especially on the left side. Good luck...hope everything turns out well. hugs!
    32 years, TTC, With God all things are possible.

Married 8 1\2 years and counting, 2 sons= 8 years old and 9 weeks old.

Hidden Content BABY ISAAC IS HERE!!! Born May 10, 2007, 2 lbs 11 oz. VERY CUTE!!!Hidden Content

Living in Kansas, hoping to wake up in OZ.

Thanks

xibismom - Labetalol...That's the med he out me on on top of Aldomet. I take 1,000 mgs. of Aldomet a day, and I believe 300 mgs. of Labetalol. I am going to try and take it easy as much as possible, hoping the meds do their job. I actually WANT to be put on, at least, modified bed rest because I am scared and want to be able to quit my job and go on disability...I can't just quit out of no where. I don't think my babies (twins) are in any immediate danger at this point since I'm still pretty early, but I want to keep stress (workplace stress) at bay. And the only way to do that is to leave...

Well, I don't have pregnancy-induced high BP, it is chronic. I always had mild-moderate high BP all my life. It runs rampant in the family. And from what I've read from numerous sources, it is far less dangerous in pregnancy than the pregnancy-induced type. The chances of it leading to Preeclampsia or IUGR are a lot lower with chronic High BP...Thank goodness...I just hope that holds true.

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful advice!!

Thanks

waiting - I've read that women with chronic hypertension actually have a very high risk of pre-eclampsia compared to women who don't have it, so expect a lot of monitoring later one. I would TELL your doctor that you feel too stressed to work and see if s/he will help you get on disability.

xibismom
    - I don't know if you were responding in part to my earlier post when you wrote:
    I disagree heartily with anyone who would advise you not to take it seriously
    I definitely am not saying not to take it seriously, but I do think total bedrest can have a lot of drawbacks and poses its own risks. I'm sure it is warranted in some cases and I didn't mean to imply that it's never worth it. I do think it's very important for any woman with hypertensive issues to spend a lot of her day relaxed with her feet up or laying on her left side, but there is a lot of research that shows some physical activity can be beneficial with some BP issues. Every woman's pregnancy and situation are different and we have to listen to our OBs/midwives and use our own judgment too.

BTW, I took Labetalol and the side effects sucked for about a week but after that I felt pretty much back to normal. Hope you feel better soon!