Thanks

Default Did you get pregnant after ovarian drilling?

I posted a similar post to the Trying To Conceive board, but thought it might be beneficial to post it here as well. (because if it worked, you won't be TTC anymore!)

Has anyone out there had ovarian drilling done? I would love to hear your experiences if you have.

I have attempted two IVF cycles in the past 4 months and each time I've have hyperstimulated and had to have the cycle cancelled. My ovaries are so polycystic that I've even stumped the doctors. Last cycle, after 4 days of gonadotropins, I had 50 follicles at 10 mm each!! I was in so much pain, I could hardly sit up for longer than about 10 minutes at a time. I evidently have a ton of eggs in there, my ovaries just don't operate normally.

The docs thing that ovarian drilling may be the answer for me. If they can go in and get out some of the cysts it may be able to normalize my hormone levels so I can ovulate on my own.

It would be great to hear if anyone else has had this done. How did the procedure go? Did you start ovulating on your own afterwards? And if so, did you get pregnant?

Thanks for your help.

ralEGirl

Registered User Rattlesomecages's Avatar
    Thanks

I got PG after OD! And you sound like the perfect candidate for OD !!

I had OD because I was Clomid and Letrozole resistant. The next step would have been injectables, but my insurance wouldn't have covered them. So my RE suggested OD. I had a LAP with OD, HSG and hysteroscopy. At the same time the RE discovered that I have stage 3 endo and was able to remove it!

After the surgery I had 4 natural cycles with O but then it stopped again. However, I still didn't get PG. We added Letrozole and I got PG on the first cycle. So you can see, before the OD I was resistant to fertility meds and after the procedure I was responsive.

I highly recommend it to you! Good luck
    Diagnosis: PCOS + Endometriosis
    Surgery: LAP (OD, HSG, Hysteroscopy)
    BFP Hidden Content Letrozole 5 mg: CD 3-7

Hidden Content

Thanks

I got PG after OD too. I was resistant to clomid, I went as high as 200mg and used it for 4 cycles but nothing. So I changed Dr and started seeing an RE. He told me after several exams that I have too many cysts on my ovaries to respond to any drug normally that my best shot was lap and OD so I went for it. The experience wasn't so bad.

I didn't wait to try on my own so I can't say that I ovulated on my own. The Dr wanted to test my hormones level 4 weeks after the surgery so I was placed on BCP immediately after the sugery. After the test and the hormones were all normal thanks to OD, I was told to use femara (letrozole) after I stop the next batch of BCP and my period shows up. I got pg on my first cycle of femara and I am almost due so it worked, I hope to start ovulating on my own after the baby.
    Tyra - 30, DH- 32, DS 2, DD infant
    TTC #1: 4 Rounds of Clomid = BFN; 1st Round of Femara, metformin 1500mg, hcg shot & Preseed = BFP

TTC #2
    1ST ROUND OF Femara, 1500mg/200mg metformin, and hcg shot=BFP.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Me too!!! I got pregnant THE WEEK AFTER OD with my DD. I think a lap with OD is probably easier on your body than IVF! They also found endo while they were in there and cleared up a tube. One-stop shopping!
    Me 40, DH 41 Our Angels, mc 6/19/06 & mc 9/6/06 & mc 7/25/11 & mc March, 2012, & mc 8/2012.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Yes, I did!! Two cycles after OD, I conceived.

Thanks

Yes!

I had OD in late Jan 2005 and conceived in Feb, before AF had a chance to show up. I BFed DS until 9 1/2 months then pumped for another 2. Before I was even done pumping, and before AF showed, I got pregnant again but miscarried. The month after that, I conceived Baby 2.

Before OD I didn't even O on clomid, despite having cycles that looked like I maybe Od. Now I seem to be able to O and actually catch the eggie pretty darned easily. We're actually having to think about birth control once Baby 2 is here, for the first time in over 7 years.

A friend of mine (who doesn't post here much anymore) also had 2 kids about 20 months apart as a result of OD.

In my case, the procedure went fine. I was in hospital one night and recovery was easy. Looking back now, it was absolutely nothing compared to my c-section. They checked out my tubes and uterus while they were there. I had it done on something like Jan 25 and ovulated on Feb 12, all by myself.

Good luck!

Thanks

Thumbs up

We have been tried for 2.5 years, used clomid didn't work. I went to an RE Sept 05 and was dx with pcos, I was put on metformin, lost a little weight in which I didn't need to loose and then nothing. In March 06 we tried fertility treatments insurance decided that they wouldn't pay after starting the treatments so we finished up the cycle I ovulated but nothing. Didn't do anything for a while just letting my body have a rest and the dr decided to do OD. So in November 06 I had OD done, HSG, and cleaned out endometriosis that I didn't know I had. Finally got a 36 day cycle and the next cycle got PREGNANT!! With twins I might add.

I would defiantly recommend this to anyone that is given this option.
    TTC #1 Since July 2004
    Sept. 05 DX PCOS

+HPT 2/1/07
    +Blood Test 2/1/07
    2/1/07 HCG 47,349
    Ovarian Diathermy 11/14/06
    DX Endometriosis & Removed 11/14/06
    HSG- All Clear 11/14/06

Metformin 1500mg
    Prometrium
    Prenatal Vitamins

WE ARE HAVING TWIN GIRLS, Camryn and Marisa!!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

The best gift-my daughter Sadie06's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if this counts but I had ovarian drilling in the year 2000 when I had not been getting my periods for over three months in a row. They did the OD and then promply put me on Metformin and I've been on Met ever since and we tried in Nov, Dec to get preggo and Jan 8th I found out I was pregnant. So I think between the OD and the Met it helped normalize my cycles/hormones as I ovulated each month after that.