Thanks

Default Allergies and swollen lymph nodes?

I have had this before, but each time it's really annoying and scary.

A lymph node under my ear is swollen and throbbing and tender when I move my neck. I think I overdid it yesterday driving with my windows down, but it felt so good. Now my allergies are flaring up, and I was wondering if anyone else had any tips about how to bring the swelling down.

I take Zyrtec, Singulair, and use a Rhinocort nasal spray every day. I'm allergic to things like pollen and grass. I also have one ear that is chronically full of fluid, and it makes a ringing sound because of the fluid. This is the side where the node is swollen, so I'm thinking it's related.

I hope I don't have to go wait at the doctor's office tomorrow for hours for something that's not a big deal. I don't feel like I have a cold, or other infection. Would moist heat help? I took some ibuprofen a few hours ago and it helped somewhat, but it's still pretty tender.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg
    Depo-Provera (at the moment)

Thanks

Hi, I also get the same thing.. It is painfull to the touch and aches when you lie down (Feels like presure) Mine comes and goes, I went to the Dr and they told me that it is just a swollen gland. Sorry I cant be more help.

Kelly

Thanks

Could be that your body is trying to fight off an infection, especially if that ear is always filled with fluid. I have horrid allergies and the allergy medicine also keeps one of my ears filed with fluid. When it gets to be too much then my doc also gives me dura-hist which is a decongestant and I switch from a decongestant allergy med to just a plain to take with it. The decongestant allergy meds work better for my stuffiness but if I let the fluid linger too long then it is inevitible that I end up with an ear infection from it.

So, I would say keep an eye, so to speak, on that ear and if it starts to hurt or the lymph node doesn't go down soon then have the doc check it for an infection.
    Shirley (34) Hidden Content Eric (35)
    Chase 7
    Lexi 3
    dx PCOS & IR 12/2006, 1,500 mgs met/day

Thanks

You might be fighting off an ear infection. Often people with allergies tend to get ear infections because of all the drainage going on. Sounds like a lymph node trying to fight something off in your head. but if it's painful, you might want to get it checked...just in case!

Cynthia
    Proud Marine Wife Hidden Content
    Proud Mom of DS (3 yrs) born in Korea AND
    DS2 (17 mo) waiting for us in Korea! (traveling June 10!!)
    Thyroid Cancer Survivor since 09 April 2004

Hidden Content

If you are going through hell, keep going.
    ~Winston Churchill

Thanks

It resolved on its own, but thanks for the reassuring thoughts! I've had it before, but it was before I had constant fluid retention in one ear so I wasn't sure. It was just my allergies flaring up, but thankfully it only lasted three days.

And if anyone else has the same problem, I took some ibuprofen each day (just once) and it helped with the pain/swelling.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg
    Depo-Provera (at the moment)