Thanks

Default Would a hysterectomy cure PCOS?

I once had a Dr. suggest a hysterectomy to me....because of all of the pain I have from my PCOS. She said, "Perhaps we should just remove the offending organs"! I was alarmed and shocked! Also - I have had family members say, "Well - your 43 years old and probably won't be having kids now...why don't you just have a hysterectomy to stop the pain and symptoms of your PCOS". I find all of these comments to be rather insensitive. Has anyone ever heard of PCOS going away with a hysterectomy? Would a lot of the symptoms still persist (Insulin Resistance, Hypertension, High DHEA and High Testosterone, etc).....or would this all go away? along with the pain? I also know someone who just had a partial hysterectomoy where they saved one ovary so she wouldnt go into a premature change of life. I was just curious if anyone out there knows much about hysterectomy's (partial or full). I am not a fan of them at all - but I may have endometriosis as well....and may be possibly facing one if advanced endometriosis is detected. To be honest...I'm frightened about the whole scenario. Has anyone out there been faced with something like this? Would my PCOS symptoms go away if I ended up having to have one?

Thanks!
    Kelly

Thanks

Nope, sorry, but hysterectomy would not cure PCOS. I have 3 aunts and a mom that have all had varying types of hyster, from total(including both ovaries) to partial(just uterus), to leaving 1 ovary. All of them still have varying degrees of PCOS symptoms. And I brought this up with my doc too, thinking "they don't work right anyway, so get rid of 'em". She said that was a pretty drastic way to treat it, and that the surgery might bring it's own problems, like scarring and adhesions.
    Mom had SEVERE(AF for 6wks) bleeding, and she thinks her partial hyster was the best thing that ever happened, but now she is AGAIN going thru "menopause" now that her remaining ovary is shutting down. She had a lot of menopause symptoms after the surgery, and thought she was done with it by now.
    There is so much to consider that you might want to talk to more than one doctor, including the surgeon.
    Lucky mommy of Quinn, 6 years.

PCOS, IBS, Clinical Depression, Lyme Disease, allergies
    trying to go natural, down to 1 script, 1 OTC(love u Zyrtec!) and lots of vitamins

Thanks

Default Thanks for the info!

Hi. Thank you for that information. I need to learn everything I can about my options. Your response shed's a lot of light on the question I had. I am guessing the reason they call PCOS a disease of the endocrine system is because it must affect the whole endocrine system? with or without the reproductive system? Hmmmm. Very interesting what happened to your mom and aunts. I am so sorry to hear that. Wow - so it sounds like all of them had PCOS??? To date - I am the only female in my family that has been diagnosed with PCOS. I am suspecting it will crop up in someone else sooner or later. Although - I wouldnt wish this on anyone.

Thanks so much for the info! I will definately consider all of my options.

Quote Originally Posted by stellarnix View Post
    Nope, sorry, but hysterectomy would not cure PCOS. I have 3 aunts and a mom that have all had varying types of hyster, from total(including both ovaries) to partial(just uterus), to leaving 1 ovary. All of them still have varying degrees of PCOS symptoms. And I brought this up with my doc too, thinking "they don't work right anyway, so get rid of 'em". She said that was a pretty drastic way to treat it, and that the surgery might bring it's own problems, like scarring and adhesions.
    Mom had SEVERE(AF for 6wks) bleeding, and she thinks her partial hyster was the best thing that ever happened, but now she is AGAIN going thru "menopause" now that her remaining ovary is shutting down. She had a lot of menopause symptoms after the surgery, and thought she was done with it by now.
    There is so much to consider that you might want to talk to more than one doctor, including the surgeon.

Thanks

I agree it wouldn't be a cure. Check this out: http://www.soulcysters.net/menopause-pcos-sites-148963/
    DD 6 years old ~ DS 9 months old

Thanks

Default Thank you for all of that valuable information!

Jashobeam,

Thank you for all of that valuable information (links)! Wow - someone has done some homework! All of that information will educate me more than my doctors have in the past 7 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Jashobeam View Post
    I agree it wouldn't be a cure. Check this out: http://www.soulcysters.net/menopause-pcos-sites-148963/

Thanks

Glad to help I know another cyster who was forced into choosing a hyster believing it would solve her problems. I wonder if things would have been a lot different for her health wise if she had known there were other options out there.

Thanks

Question Absolutely!

I'm sorry to hear about the other cyster. Thats too bad. I am scheduled to see my Doctor in a couple of weeks. I believe they will be wanting to schedule a laparoscopy. I'm curious. I am going to tell her that I only want excess tissue removed in the event it is endometriosis. However - whats to say that they won't get more aggressive and remove more than that if my endometriosis is more advanced. How can I PREVENT them from doing so? I've never gone through this - so I don't know how all of this usually works. Thanks for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jashobeam View Post
    Glad to help I know another cyster who was forced into choosing a hyster believing it would solve her problems. I wonder if things would have been a lot different for her health wise if she had known there were other options out there.

Thanks

Default I have all of the symptoms of PCOS and I had a hysterectomy, and still have PCOS

Hi there.

Your doctor is wrong, and I suggest you find another doctor that knows what they are talking about. Many doctors do not know about PCOS or they don't know enough about it.

I have had PCOS all my life and as I age, the symptoms are worsening. In 2005 I had a hysterectomy removing uterus, tubes and ovaries. Leaving the cervix in.

My PCOS is still there.

I take Metformin, bought and started recently the DCI Inositol and Biotin, hoping that helps, and I have above normal range of DHEA. I have skin tags, fight hard to loose weight and I am obese, I grow chin and neck hair and hair on my head is falling out. I am forgetfull, I am tired, I have no sex drive, vaginal dryness and I am in complete PCOS hell.

So, it really upset me to hear that your doctor felt that the PCOS would be eliminated if you had a hysterectomy. Only get a hysterectomy if you want to, or if you have a medical issues with your female reproductive organs that can't be treated. I had advanced stage Endometriosis and I had a complex cyst on both ovaries. I bled for almost a full month straight before I had my hysterectomy. I was blessed with one child, and tried hard to conceive a second child. I had no choice but to accept that one child was all I would be gifted with and I can accept that, my DD is a wonderful person.

But, I am in PCOS hell. So glad to have found this forum recently.

My doc is going to send me to get an MRI of my adrenal to rule out any foreign growths etc. Otherwise, it is yet another product of my PCOS condition. God bless you. Lets battle this together.

Thanks

I think I'm in a minority here. I want a hysterectomy more than anything in the world at this point, however it isn't going to happen. I don't have skin tags, facial hair, baldness or weight issues, or insulin resistance. My overwhelming issue with my PCOS is horrific, horrific pain. Since I regularly menstruate, I have a two weekly hell of hells on top of the normal pain. I take an opiate just to function a little and that only works part of the time.

I don't believe hysterectomies are a cure for PCOS by any means but removing the offending organs would cure my worst symptom.

Thanks

moonofwinds, my heart goes out to you, and if it helps you any, I will tell you that I am in your minority club of "I want a hysterectomy". In fact, when I learned I had a complex cyst on each of my ovaries - meaning they were not fluid filled like a normal cyst, and an MRI confirmed endometriosis, I had it with my female parts. Just before I finally got my hysterectomy, I bled for 3 weeks straight. I went through great pain every day. I was well beyond my child bearing years, and I went to several doctors until I found someone who was willing to help me, and help meant getting my hysterectomy surgery.

I will honestly say though, the only downside to the hysterectomy is that for me, it did decrease my libido (even though the hystersisters.com forum of ladies often said there was no impact, or an improvement to libido post hysterectomy. And vaginal dryness....oh my. And it does not eliminate the PCOS. But overall, am I glad I had the surgery, you bet. If it means that the surgery will give you an improvement to the quality of your daily life, then it is worth it. I have NO regrets of having my hysterectomy. Hugs to you.

Thanks

I've only 24 so pretty much no doctor I have spoken to takes me seriously. My right ovary is dead in the water (8 small complex cysts, my gp suspects that a couple of them are blocking my right fallopian tube) how the bulk of my pain is on the left side where, when last I had an ultasound, I had a 3.5cm functional cyst. I am aware that I am young but at the same time, my dream is to open my own business and adopt a child from foster care, how can I do either if I am always in pain? That and I don't want to be addicted to pain killers. I already feel I take too many, even if my old gyno didn't. I'll be seeing a new gyno in a couple of months, I'm getting a referral in a few days. My old gyno just believed women are breeders... Eck. I think he thought I was being melodramatic. I disagree. I've had reduction surgery, and took only 1 T3 a day and often nothing because I just wasn't hurting more than a little. Taking 3 trapanol just so I don't faint is not ok.

I'm glad to hear your hysterectomy helped your pain, I know my mother's helped hers. Interestingly she has the same side effects as you.