Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Peggotty,

I wish Yasmin would have cured my PCOS. Actually since my son was born it seems to have gotten a little worse as far as my symptoms go. My period stopped when I was 19, which is what lead to my diagnosis at that age. At first that is the only symptom I had for several years, then in my early 20's the insulin resistance kicked in and I started gaining weight only in my middle. Not long after the weight started going up I started noticing hair where I shouldn't have it. I feel like an ape. The Yasmin helped with my hormones, I don't know how my endocrinologist knew that it was the right pill (I had tried others with no reaction) but I started having a cycle when I was on Yasmin, I couldn't even cycle on Provera before that. I had just gotten married, and moved to another area and there was a delay transferring my Rx in time for the new pill pack, as a precaution I took a test before starting a new pack since I missed about 2 weeks. I was pregnant, after just the first 3 months on Yasmin. I wasn't taking anything else at the time. I just started the Metformin/Spironlactone combination a few days ago because I am gaining weight like crazy and I have more hair than my husband does. I have heard this is a good way to get the weight under control as well as slow down and maybe even reverse the hair growth. Sometimes I wonder if I sit in a bathtub full of water and drop a plugged in toaster in it would I get full body electolysis? If it were only that easy. There is not one part of my body that I don't need to shave. I hate it.

Thanks

I'm on 2000 of Met and about 200 of spironolactone. It should be 100 of spironolactone but I'm playing around with the numbers, not that I advise anyone else to do so! My hair loss has pretty much stopped. The hair isn't growing back, and I am losing the weight. I'm more curious if my pear shaped body will ever return or if the apple is here to stay. But as for hair, met/spiro work. At least for me. Yaz may help as well. Considering I started all my medications simulaneously, I can't pinpoint what works. Just that, I see a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel. Hope this helped!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default ????????

Hi all...My first time on such web page.However, after hours of reading about these two drugs, that are right in front of me.Thought I would go for it!......So I had my Gallblader removed 2years ago. Which my Dr. does know and she prescribed both Spiro/Metfo (50/1500). My period is irregular I have a chin full of hair!!!! and my weight is on the RISE!....Kind of scared to take the medication. Does anyone relate to my situation?

Thanks

LHHHBROWN, I can totally relate to your situation! I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, and in the past 5 months I have put on 45 pounds, developed moderate acne, and I have excessive hair on my chin/neck, which is starting to get darker and more noticeable. I also had my gallbladder removed 8 months ago. This week, my doctor prescribed me Spiro (50mg) and Metformin (500 mg). I'm about to start them and am very nervous but also hopeful that they will resolve these issues. I take birth control pills to maintain a normal period. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in this all!

Thanks

Red face new on met/spiro

I'm new to this site and new to these drugs, but my endo started me on metformin and spiro last week. He started right off with 2000mg of met per day and 100 mg of spiro per day. I will admit the first week was pretty darn rough and I do still have side effects, but they seem to be calming down a bit. I am, unfortunately, very used to vomiting and digestive upset since I was diagnosed with gastroparesis several years ago so did have some coping tools and tricks up my sleeve.

My endo and my pharmacist said the met should be taken in the middle of a meal so that's what I do. I pop the first met and the first spiro in the middle of a decent breakfast that includes a protein if at all possible. Seems to help. Then I take the second spiro in the middle of the afternoon (endo said taking at dinner time might cause me to be up all night peeing and late afternoon would be okay) and the second met dose in the middle of dinner. Since I have a tendency to become dehydrated very easily anyway, I've been REALLY trying to watch my fluid and electrolyte intake. Again, that seems to help with the nausea and dizziness from these drugs, so I'm happy about that. I go through a lot of G2 and other electrolyte drinks, but, hey, I'm hoping the eventual weight loss, hair control and better skin will all be worth it!

Anyone else have gastroparesis or other motility/malabsorption issues? I hate gatorade and G2 and would love some other ideas on keeping electrolytes where they need to be.

Thanks!

-Amy
    newly diagnosed with PCOS after having it 33 years
    44 yr old single mama to a beautiful 7 yr old girl through adoption
    also dx with gastroparesis, hashimoto's thyroiditis, and hysterectomy in 2007
    meds: levothyroxine, ondansetron, metformin, spironolactone

Thanks

I've been on 2000mg Metformin for 11 years and it works so well for me that if I miss a dose, my period will be one day late.

I've been on Spiro for 7 years now. Took 50mg for one year with no problems at all. My doctor then wanted to increase me to 100mg. I took the 100mg for a year and didn't like it at all! I went back on the 50mg and I was good again.
    Charlene (42), DH Todd (45), DD Emily (14), DS Joseph (13) & DD Isabella (10)

Emily conceived with Fertinex and IUI, Joseph conceived with Glucophage, Isabella conceived with Metformin. Stopped Gluc/Met during pregnancy.

Diagnosed w/PCOS in 1984

Currently: 2000mg Met., 50mg Spironolactone, Low-Carb diet.

Thanks

Default Hi

Hi I Mandy Im Very New To This I Auctally Just Registerd Just To Post On Here I Was Just Diagnosed With Pcos So Im Taking Metaformin Twice Daily 500mg Tab,and Also I Take Spironolact Twice Daily 50mg Tab.and Its Hard Because I Was Losing Weight Befor I Was Taking These I Was Going To The Gym And Eating Healthy And Was On A Mission To Lose Weight And Be Beautiful Agin!well I Start This Treatment And I Am Having Nausea, Diahrea,dry Cough Alot Of Dry Cough, Alot Of Head Ache,i Also Noticed My Sinus Heart Tachycardia Has Increased More Than Usual,tired, Dizzness,pale,either Low Blood Sugar Or Bp But I Was So Tired I Couldnt Move Like I Was Dying Or Something.but I Really Do Think Im Doing Soemthign Wrond See I Have A Schedule When I Have To Take All My Medications And Its Really Becoming A Pain In The Butt.but Im Startting To Get Used To The Medications But Now Im Having Weight Gain But No Energy To Exercise Like I Could Befor I Took All This....plz Help Thank You

Registered User splendidwedding's Avatar
    Thanks

I take a spiro/met combo (100mg/1000mg) and it works real well for me. Now i havent been taking my met...and I've started gaining weight and my face looks bad. I'm going back on the met...and I have an appt with my new gyno (old one moved away...been using my family doctor for the past three years) in March. Hopefully he can give me some more insight...and represcribe my meds!
    dx PCOS 2006
    ~acne~mood swings~IR~hair loss..and gain~weight gain~

Meds:

1000mg Metformin
    Sprintec -28 day
    100mg Spironolactone
    Evening Primrose Oil (3/d)
    B-Complex (2/d)
    Biotin (1/d)

Hidden Content

Thanks

marking my spot
    Jen (25) Nathan (32)
    TTC since: 3/2004 Hidden Content
    DX: PCOS & IR 6/2006

Hidden Content

Thanks

When I was diagnosed with PCOS back when I was 14, I didn't care about taking these meds. I am starting them back up today because of all the positive feed back for the combo. My weight and hair growth is out of control and nothing help! I sure hope this does!!!!! =)