Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Red face Pcos After Pregnancy

ihave had pcos all my life and begged for a diagnosis i have been told i was just fat and needed to loose weight bla bla bla so i just want to say that the dream of being a mommy does not end just because you have pco so anyway my question is my dr said it should go away after birth but it hasnt in fact i think it has come back worse than it was before does anyone know about pcos after pregnancy all the boards i have read say they are cured and feel great and i feel like an alien comments appreciated

Thanks

Question

Mine got way worse after pregnancy. I couldn't take off the weight I gained, the hair growth has been awful, and my sugar and cholesterol have both gone up. Maybe you should see another doc? PCOS isn't the same for all women and your doc should be looking at what you are experiencing, not what they expect you to experience.
    Lucky mommy of Quinn, 6 years.

PCOS, IBS, Clinical Depression, Lyme Disease, allergies
    trying to go natural, down to 1 script, 1 OTC(love u Zyrtec!) and lots of vitamins

Thanks

I agree with stellarnix. I wasn't diagnosed until last year (my DS is 5), although I probably should have been even ten years ago. I blamed the weight gain and inability to lose weight on stress and changes in workout schedules.

If you are still not getting any assistance from your doc, switch docs.
    Chris (38)
    Adoring Mom to Ethan (5) and Crazy Wife to Herb (37)
    Diagnosed: 5/06 with traditional symptoms
    Meds: Yasmin, multivitamin, Calcium, Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Cinnamon, B Complex
    Diet & Exercise: looking to become healthier, cardio and weights 5X a week, swimming daily with my son and attempting the IR Diet

Since 7/01/06
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I agree with the PP's. I was dx'ed with PCOS after giving birth. Within a year of having DS, I gained 40lbs that still won't go away, started loosing more hair through *shedding*, and had acne again. By the time my DS was 3, my hair was falling out in clumps, I had a ton of hair growth (toes, knuckles, stomach, chest, and face), I had a period at the most 4 times a year, ect. I originally went to the doctor for depression, thinking that was what was messing me up so badly. After about a month of tests, I was diagnosed. So for me, mine got way worse after birth. The doctor was amazed I even got pregnant with DS (he's my Ortho miracle).

~Ry
    Me~26 DH~28
    DS~5

Dx'ed with PCOS Dec. '05.
    Dx'ed with Endo Oct. '06.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Pcos soesn't go away. Medication and/or lifestyle changes can greatly improve your symptoms. Right after birth, your hormones drop and greatly change which can in some women take most or all of the symptoms away, but that is temporary. I hate that we are told giving birth is the cure for pcos. That is such a myth.

Mommy to twins Christian & Sophia 9 years old, Angelina 3 years old.
    4 early losses and 1 pre-term loss of my twin Angels Sarah & Joshua, in our hearts forever!
    Currently pregnant for the 8th time with my 3rd set of twins! What a surprise!

Hidden Content

Mom to two little boys! diana0624's Avatar
    Thanks

PCOS tend to get worse with age, weight, and after a pregnancy. There are some that are lucky enough to have their symptoms less after pregnancy. For most of us...things get better during pregnancy and the first few months after. Then the symptoms come back with a vengence! It's totally normal. I would find a doctor willing to treat you. Many only want to help women get pg...and that's it. It's important to treat the PCOS the right way even when not ttc. That means, low carb diet, exercise, and metformin. Good luck.
    Hidden Content
    DH-Trevin Hidden Content

Dx-2004 while ttc #2
    Currently: 2000mg metformin
    Not officially ttc, but not preventing!

Thanks

Some symptoms were better, others worse. DD is almost 3 and 1/2 and I have no idea month to month how heavy or light AF will be. I'm on a diet that before was allowing me to loose weight, now I"m fighting gaining.
    DD 6 years old ~ DS 9 months old

Thanks

Whoever told you that it goes away was speaking bollocks. Sorry
    It doesn't go away but it can be managed. Mine effected my pregnancy and then became much more noticable after the PG.

My symptoms change as I get older, some come, some go, it's just a reminder for me to kick my self into shape and take better care.

Feel better,

Paula

Momma to 2 girls & a boy AmandaG04's Avatar
    Thanks

I am currently going through this same problem! I had a great pregnancy, no complications till my water broke. My PCOS was much better for 3 months after having my dd. Then it all went south I no longer know how long in between AF's I will go where as before pregnancy I would have AF every month but be a few days late or early. Now it's start the same day 2 months in a row then two weeks early the next month then same day the next month as the month before then the next month about 2 weeks early. AF is also way more painful then before pg. I also lost all my baby weight in the first month after pg, but then gained almost all of it back and then lost all but 5 lbs of what I gained. I don't understand it. I wasn't told PCOS would be cured but that pregnancy could help turn things around. I am ttc #2 right now so I will be getting back on met and hope that helps with some symptoms.
    Me-27 DH-34
    TTC#4
    Metformin 2000mg daily
    DD#1- Met 1000mg and prenatals 36w4d 12/20/06
    DD#2- all natural and a complete shock 38w4d 03/11/08
    DS- 1500mg Met 36w1d 8/6/12
    M/C- Met 1000mg 5w2d 05/11
    M/C- Met 2000mg 5w4d 04/13
    M/C- natural 4w5d 8/13

Thanks

Thumbs up

thanks to all the replies i asked after my son came what would happen with my pcos and the dr said it should go away and since i was preg. i was cured but in doing research i know that wasnt right i just felt alone because all the boards i was reading were saying things like i am better since having a baby and i dont have probs any more and i just wondered if i was the only one ITS GOOD TO KNOW IM NOT when i was pregnant i lost close to 70 lbs and about 2 months after my son was born gained it all back i have been excercising and have lost 15 lbs but it seems so hard like why cant i be like one of the skinny chicks on tv or in the magazines can someone explain to me what exactly a low carb diet is the camilla pill they had put me on led to continuous bleeding and weight gain no longer on that

Thanks

Sounds like yet ANOTHER doctor who doesn't know anything about PCOS. GRRRrrrr!

I wasn't diagnosed with PCOS until *after* my son was born. And he's 10 now, and I've had problem after problem.
    Married, mother of one son - 11 years old. I'm a SAHM, (former homeschooler). I have PCOS, hypothyroid, Type II Diabetes, and Sjogren's Disease as well. I have a cottage business making handmade soaps, lotions, etc.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
    It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us."
    ~ Marianne Williamson

Thanks

A low carb diet basically means...don't eat too many carbs (breads, pasta, rice, potatos). Some fruits are also considered carbs. When you do eat carb, always balance it out with a protein. A good diet that I like is The Insulin Resistant Diet (I cant think of the author's name, but it's listed on amazon).

For example, a good diet plan would be:
    8am: slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter
    10am: 10 almonds and some fruit (try sticking with berries)
    12pm: slice of string cheese and some veggies
    2pm: small salad with a small handful of walnuts thrown on top
    4pm: yogurt with some granola
    6pm: small chicken breast (grilled) and more veggies

In addition drink enough water to float away. I've heard to drink your weight in oz. So, if you weigh 150lbs, drink 150oz. of water per day.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.
    Hidden Content
    DH-Trevin Hidden Content

Dx-2004 while ttc #2

Thanks

Oh..I meant to say that there's a whole section on here all about dieting.
    Hidden Content
    DH-Trevin Hidden Content

Dx-2004 while ttc #2

Thanks

Be careful not to overdo on the water. You can have too much fluid intake and your body cannot handle it. Watch for edema and too clear of urine. People have actually died from too much water intake.

Thanks

My PCOS definitely got much worse after having my DD. But I also gained 70 bls too after having her. I didn't go back on my MET either ... BIG, BIG, BIG mistake.

Well, my solution is the following: Go back on MET right away, start eating low carb, and get weight down. In 8 months I did just that, got back on MET, 1500mg, lost 70 lbs with IR diet, and walked til I couldn't walk anymore. I am currently PG with my 2nd, and plan to continue my IR diet whild PG, and restart my MET as soon as I give birth.

I only plan to gain baby weight with this PG, or lose if possible.. healthy of course .. I would never put my baby in danger. Also, very important..VITAMINS!! Take a multi Vit, plus extra VIT B and calcium!!

water