Thanks

Default Is a hysterectomy ever an option for PCOS?

Is a hysterectomy ever an option for PCOS?
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    dx PCOS 2006
    Me 29 DH 39 - 2 ds's 7 & 9
    Trying to ADOPT
    (Praying for a PRINCESS)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Well, if you have problems with severe bleeding or endometriosis, maybe. But for the most part, it wont help, and there could be more problems, such as adhesions, scars, and the shock of early menopause. Mom and 2 aunts all had varying forms of hyster, and all still have some of their PCOS symptoms.
    Lucky mommy of Quinn, 6 years.

PCOS, IBS, Clinical Depression, Lyme Disease, allergies
    trying to go natural, down to 1 script, 1 OTC(love u Zyrtec!) and lots of vitamins

Thanks

I agree. I have seen docs that push women into a hyster when other treatments could have helped. For some it is the only option, but as was stated above many symptoms are not going to helped by a hyster.
    DD 6 years old ~ DS 9 months old

Thanks

Lets just say, there's a reason why those organs are there, as problematic as they are for us PCOSers. A hyster should only be used as a last resort. A good doctor would tell you that if they weren't too busy filling their pockets with money. Those good ones do exist though. Take care!

Thanks

I totally agree. I have had problems with my ovaries since my first period, way back when. My doc told me a few years ago that I would probly have a hyster by the time I was 30. Well, I turn 29 this Friday and even though I refuse to age after 30, my ovaries might have a different idea.

Just sometimes, I wander if it wouldn’t be easier to just take it all out and completely control my hormones with meds instead of trying a little of this and a little of that and none of it working.

But, then my mind bounces back to… God put it all there for a reason.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    dx PCOS 2006
    Me 29 DH 39 - 2 ds's 7 & 9
    Trying to ADOPT
    (Praying for a PRINCESS)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thing is, with the hormonal imbalances we go through with PCOS, a hyster can cause different hormonal imbalances. So it's basically a trade for a trade that are both non-desireable. Again, it doesn't affect all women the same way. Sometimes it works for all and sometimes there are minimal symptoms for others and then again, sometimes, severe symptoms too! Before you do anything, get educated. It's always best to make an educated and informed decision in the end, no matter what you chose. You need to keep your best interest at heart! You've got to do it for you!

Lots o' hugs!
    Carey

Thanks

If bleeding is your problem like it was mine an endometrial ablation may be your best choice if you plan not to have children. I bleed for 4 months and got this done and now I am doing much much better.

I was given the choice of a hysterectomy but I did not like the idea.

Thanks

I have often questioned myself about this. I never have a "happy period" as ALWAYS promotes....I hurt like mad from two days before I start til I finish the very last day. And I bleed very heavy. To the point of owning stock in "ALWAYS." There isn't a Tampon made for my periods! I will lay in bed and cry for days, then when I have to come to work on my days, OH DEAR GOD! I work with alot of men and they all want to be (pardon me) ASS HOLES thinking i'm pulling a "PMS" card. They can see really quick that my moods can and will change in 3.2 seconds and will go thru about five in that time span! I keep saying my parts don't work, why keep them! I'm 35 and feel I am too old to try another relationship and to have kids. It's not in me anymore. I've TRIED out! It's not in me anymore. I once told my GYN when i went in after 10 days of heavy bleeding that I would like it all removed as soon as he could and he laughed. I told him it wasn't funny and if I knew my vet would I would ask him to put me down since I was suffereing SOOOOOOOOOO much. That only got more chuckles. I have a medical reason! TAKE IT ALLLLLLL OUT!
    Unlike fine wine, bottled up emotions do not taste better with time.