Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Ear Wax / Ear Infections

I have recurrent issues with one of my ears getting blocked. I finally took a wild guess and asked my ear doctor if this could be hormone related, and he said, that yes, actually wax production in the ear is increased by high levels of male hormones. He of course didn't see how it related to me since it was only in one ear. However, I do feel that this condition has gotten worse about the same time as my facial hair got worse, my skin got worse, you know the drill....

So, I wonder if any other soulcysters have seen anything like that?

Thanks

Wow! I have always had problems with ears getting blocked. It's a combination of wax buildup (and I definitely have more wax than most people I know) and having weird small ear canals (according to drs). I have never heard of the hormone link - that's amazing. I'm going to go google it now.
    me: 40 he: 39
    RIP Dog 1996 - July 2011

ttc #1 since Jan 2004 (officially, but 5 years of no contraception prior...)
    mc @ 8 weeks, Feb 2006
    BFP on March 13 2009: CD 100 (after oing on CD 79!)
    Evie born November 17 2009 Hidden Content
    Olivia born August 12 2011 Hidden Content

Thanks

I have always had problems with my ears. Lots of infections, blockage, strange whooshing noises. I always figured allergies. Maybe hormones?!? I would not be surprised.
    Lucky mommy of Quinn, 6 years.

PCOS, IBS, Clinical Depression, Lyme Disease, allergies
    trying to go natural, down to 1 script, 1 OTC(love u Zyrtec!) and lots of vitamins

Thanks

I've had problems with my ears getting blocked with wax in the past. I've always wondered if there was a hormone connection.

Thanks

I think I might qualify for being a poster child of the ear infection of the month club!! I've always had ear issues. They've put in tubes, put me on steroids (only to exacerbate my other issues!!!), issues, issues, issues. To think that it might all be related... I'll have to talk to my dr. Thx!

Thanks

Default Ear infections

I have gotten about 30 ear infections within the last 6 years....
    When my doc put me on glucophage I went 8 months without getting one! I thought it was a miracle.
    I tried to lose weight by eating lots of fresh veggies and salads and the ear infections came back. I notice when I eat carbs, even good ones, my ears ring and then get infected....

Thanks

i'm so glad i'm not alone on this one.
    i produce ear wax like it is going out of style. i'm obsessed with cleaning my ears b/c i'm always afraid someone will notice... (like they'd notice that and miss the fact that i have wiskers on my face right)

i've always had lots of ear infections but a couple years ago i had several reccurrent ear infections that were really bad. the ear doctor asked if i was diabetic. he said that most adult ear infections are extremely common in diabetics. which makes sense that pcos ladies would get them b/c of the insulin resistence. i didn't really put two and two together back then.
    ~Marion
    mom to 6 siberian husky babies
    3 sets of littermates
    Maggie & Mollie 04/25/01
    Sadie & Sophie 08/10/02
    Hannah & Harley 04/27/06

M 32 DH 33 together since Jan 98, married 09/23/00Hidden Content

Vegetarian since April 2006

Thanks

Me too I never would have thougth that PCOS would have caused this
    DS1 ~ John 9/7/08 (after 9 years and 7 losses)
    DS2 ~ Patrick 12/12/09 (Total shock and unknown ..Who knew?)

Thanks

I had never had an ear infection before in my life until last year. Now they won't go away. It just keeps coming back.
    Hidden Content
    Me: 23 DH: 30
    Dx: 2007
    Met 1000mg/day
    TTC #1 since 2004
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I get crazy amounts of ear wax and am cleaning them all of the time. About once a year (sometimes more) my dr. has to flush them because so much has built up in the canal and effects my hearing. I never realted it to my PCOS though. I guess it's just another joy of having PCOS!
    Me (35), DH (46), DD (16) Hidden Content

Thanks

You guys really shouldn't use q-tips to clean your ears!!! Either put some baby oil in with a dropper (1 or 2 drops) or let the Dr. flush it out!!!

Thanks

I never thought of it being anything more than an ear issue. I've had to have my ears flushed at least three times at the doctor's office. I have only had one actual ear infection in my adult life. But they always say I have over active wax production.

Thanks

I so suspected a connection and it's actually encouraging to read all the posts here! Not that I'm happy that anyone here has had the ear problems, of course, but only that I may have something to work with...

This is so frustrating, this ear infection keeps me from swimming in the pool, which I used to do as my aerobic exercise (alternating with gym workouts). It was real good to take the weight off my feet. Now I don't dare go into the water again, because my ear is still sore, despite the ear doctor telling me that it's fine by now

I am real new to the whole IR thing - not officially diagnosed with anything yet. I can't wait to get to a good doctor and see if maybe glucophage might help.

Thanks!

Thanks

oh my god..i wish i knew this before going to the DR's 3 times in 2 mnths nd having to pay for each visit and the med too! maaaan what does pcos not cause! i was alwayz told it was swimmers ears because i used to swim ALOT before..i gave it up because of the probs with my ears.they get blocked all the time they hurt ring buzz and build up all most on a daily basis! i just dont bother getting treatment anymore! i figgure it doesnt make a diference anyway! as im typing my ears are hurting....i usually now just warm a little olive oil and syringe that in the ear...it works for a little while!
    me (29) Hidden Content DH(34)Hidden Content

Married July 2006
    Dgnsd 1999 ish
    4 failed rounds of chlomid - 2010
    BFP's - My Angel babies - Nov 2011, June 2012, Dec 2012
    Surprise BFP March 2013 - It's a girl 16/12/2013 - the love of my life..Hidden Content Hidden Content

'Bare the trials and tribulations for today for tommorrow is another day.'

Thanks

I don't get a lot of ear infections, but if my ear ever itches and I go in to give it a scratch I almost always come back with a fingernail full of the stuff. Its gross...