Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    90-Day Bootcamp Cyster! Polly13's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Best way to get rid of peach fuzz?

I have a major peach fuzz stash and a bunch on the sides of my face as well. Last time I tried to wax it off I ended up ripping up some skin with it because I was using a face wash with acid in it. Now I have a giant brown skin discoloration/scar on my face. Last week I tried plucking it but that's next to impossible with a million little baby hairs and I ended up with an ingrown hair in the process.

My wedding is in a week and a half and I want to get rid of it but I don't know how. I can't afford electrolysis and I heard it doesn't work for fine blond baby hairs anyway. Should I try a depilatory or try waxing again and keep my fingers crossed?

Help!
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Diagnosed: May 2007

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Polly13 View Post
    I have a major peach fuzz stash and a bunch on the sides of my face as well. Last time I tried to wax it off I ended up ripping up some skin with it because I was using a face wash with acid in it. Now I have a giant brown skin discoloration/scar on my face. Last week I tried plucking it but that's next to impossible with a million little baby hairs and I ended up with an ingrown hair in the process.

My wedding is in a week and a half and I want to get rid of it but I don't know how. I can't afford electrolysis and I heard it doesn't work for fine blond baby hairs anyway. Should I try a depilatory or try waxing again and keep my fingers crossed?

Help!
    No panic.

You've clearly got sensitive skin and you've discovered the hard way that waxing can be pretty brutal unless your skin is really tough. It doesn't need to involve a harsh face wash to be brutal. So can depilatory creams -- if they're strong enough to dissolve hair, then they'll almost certainly damage skin which is any way sensitive.

If you moustache and beard growth is still at the very fine stage, then the answer is to use a trimmer on it. In any case you'd need to use a trimmer before shaving with an electric razor anyway. You may well be totally satisfied with the results from the trimmer alone. If you aren't, then use a men's-style electric razor afterwards -- preferably, in my view, from the Norelco/Philips range.

Doing it this way has no risks attached to it.

Thanks

It's a myth that shaving your facial hair will make it grow back thicker, darker, or longer. Shaving the peach fuzz on my face makes my face really smooth and since it's just peach fuzz it doesn't grow back very fast. I only do it about once a week. In fact, I have heard that many actresses and models do it for smoother make-up application.
    28 years old- no meds- trying to get healthy through diet and exercise

Thanks

I, too, have peach fuzz on my cheeks. I shave! No problems at all.
    NICKY(25)
    Married 2 years
    No kids
    2 doggies

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Go to Hidden Content for before/during photos of my weightloss!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fairy2323 View Post
    It's a myth that shaving your facial hair will make it grow back thicker, darker, or longer. Shaving the peach fuzz on my face makes my face really smooth and since it's just peach fuzz it doesn't grow back very fast. I only do it about once a week. In fact, I have heard that many actresses and models do it for smoother make-up application.
    I believe that in Japan it's been normal for women to shave for many years. Not because they have beard growth as such, because they're much less likely to have male-type growth than are Western women, but simply to have a flawless, ultra-smooth, fuzz-free base for make up.

90-Day Bootcamp Cyster! Polly13's Avatar
    Thanks

Well that makes me feel a lot better about shaving--- I thought it would grow back darker and thicker if I did! But it does seem like the best option for avoiding doing any damage or trauma to the skin. Do you use shave cream?
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Diagnosed: May 2007

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Polly13 View Post
    Well that makes me feel a lot better about shaving--- I thought it would grow back darker and thicker if I did! But it does seem like the best option for avoiding doing any damage or trauma to the skin. Do you use shave cream?
    Shaving doesn't affect either the color or the thickness of what grows back. The reason some people associate shaving with a darker, coarser regrowth is that they start shaving when the growth begins to trouble them and then they blame shaving for the fact that the growth becomes darker and coarser -- whereas the fact of the matter is that they started shaving because the process of darkening and coarsening had already begun.

Personally I use a Noreclo/Philips men's (electric, rechargeable) razor, both on the coarse growth of my moustache and chin area and on the peach fuzz over the rest of my face. The Noreclo shaves better the drier it is. The one thing that men's-type electric razors are no use at, though, is growth that's longer than about 1/8" at the very longest. Longer than that and it needs to be trimmed down, otherwise the razor will tug at it.

Apart from everything else, I like the Norelco because it's a completely unmessy, unfussy way of hair removal. It takes seconds and it doesn't hurt the skin in any way. If you followed that approach, it would be a good idea to trim the hair down first, as soon as possible, then shave a couple of times, a day or two apart, before shaving your face carefully one last time on the morning of your big day to make sure you'd got every trace of everything. I don't think there's any other method of hair removal I'd be prepared to risk on the big day itself. But do make sure you shave before you do anything else that day. Make sure that your face is absolutely dry before shaving. There's nothing looks worse in wedding photos than a bride with an obvious moustache or fuzzy jawline, so many photographers use what they describe as "soft focus" to partly conceal the fact that the bride has moustache or beard growth she hasn't removed.

If you're having a professional photographer, and are having a discussion session with him/her beforehand, make sure that he/she is aware that you'll be free of facial hair on the day. A professional will normally look at the bride at the time of the initial booking and if she's got any trace of facial hair he/she will usually discreetly mark the order notes "S/F" (Soft focus). If you've already had any discussions, you should let the photographer know that you don't think there'll be any need for soft-focus shots (unless you like them that way anyway). If you haven't had any discussions but will have them before the day, then make sure you've got rid of every trace of facial hair before you meet the photographer.

I hope all goes well.

Thanks

For the peach fuzz I just use a regular disposable razor- like a men's type triple blade (single blades don't do as good of a job). Since the hair isn't coarse I just use regular soap to lather my face and shave away. If the hair is coarse in anyway I would suggest a shave cream. And don't press too hard on your face- you wouldn't want to leave any nicks. I would try it before the wedding to make sure that it works for you- but again, if its just soft peach fuzz I'm sure it will.
    28 years old- no meds- trying to get healthy through diet and exercise

Thanks

You might also consider threading, it's an ancient technique used in the middle east, many salons in the states offer this service, as do some day spas. It pulls the hair from the root with no chemicals, so it will grow back slower and not discolor your skin. I also have very sensitive skin and I hav had this done many times. There's also small trimmers that are sold on infomercials that work great and do not cut the skin at all. Congrats on the wedding!
    Me- 34 DH- 36
    Dx- officially 4/05, Dx self-2003
    married 4/22/05, five years of wedded bliss!
    2 fur babies- Salma Hidden Content and Smokey Hidden Content
    TTC since 1/06
    Current meds: prenatal vitamins & dietary changes, back on TCM herbs

7 clomid cycles and 2 injectable cycles, all BFN
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

The truth is out there... AnnieC's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have to get the peach fuzz off, I would just shave. With it being this close to your wedding date there is no way in hell I would attempt to wax. I would rather shave than risk having something bad happen in the waxing process.

Thanks

I agree with Annie... do not wax! I know a lot of people have success with it, but I broke out majorly and it looked HORRIBLE. Use some shaving gel and a nice new razor. Works great for me!
    NICKY(25)
    Married 2 years
    No kids
    2 doggies

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I am curious after reading what all you have said about shaving your face..what parts of your face are you talking about? Every place I have shaved on my face has grown back courser (but not darker) when I just shaved the peach fuzz off. I am talking about in between my eyebrows, under my chin, upper lip and sideburns. I have fair skin, and very light hair on my face but the "peach fuzz" all grew back courser. I am still skeptical about the myth that shaving doesn't make hair grow back thicker..because when I originally shaved it off I did so because it was abundant but not thick and course..now it is.

Thanks

I shave my cheeks, chin and upperlip. My cheeks/chin are all blonde peach fuzz. My upper lip is coarse and dark (whats left of it..Im having laser done!). I do not believe that its a myth that shaving will cause it to come back thicker. Its all the hormones....
    NICKY(25)
    Married 2 years
    No kids
    2 doggies

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by strongernow View Post
    Every place I have shaved on my face has grown back courser (but not darker) when I just shaved the peach fuzz off. I am talking about in between my eyebrows, under my chin, upper lip and sideburns. I have fair skin, and very light hair on my face but the "peach fuzz" all grew back courser. I am still skeptical about the myth that shaving doesn't make hair grow back thicker..because when I originally shaved it off I did so because it was abundant but not thick and course..now it is.
    If it really is coarser (as opposed to feeling coarser because you've cut it through at skin level where it's thicker) then it's simply that the coarsening took place around the same time as you started shaving it. An awareness (sometimes sub-conscious) of the start of a slight coarsening is often what convinces people to start removing the peach fuzz.

Thanks

OMG ladies. I thought I was alone. I shave my face every 7-10 days. I worry that someday it will be dark like DH. It is good to know
    DS1 ~ John 9/7/08 (after 9 years and 7 losses)
    DS2 ~ Patrick 12/12/09 (Total shock and unknown ..Who knew?)