Thanks

Question EWCM always means ovulation?

Hi all,

I've tried to find this information by using Google, but with little success, so I thought I would try here and see if anyone has any insight for me...
    Does a good amount of EWCM mean that you are successfully ovulating or does it happen in women that are annovulatory, too?

I get EWCM every cycle (even though my cycles are inconsistent and lengthy) and last month I also received a positive on my first OPK when I had EWCM, but did not conceive. I know that PCOS can trigger a positive on an OPK even if you didn't release an egg because of the large amount of follies releasing the LH hormone. However, I am still unclear as to whether or not EWCM is ALWAYS a sign that you are releasing an egg, or if EWCM can happen, but much like a false OPK positive, it can happen because of the rush of LH from the many follies at the time when you should be releasing an egg, but may not be.

I hope I worded that correctly. Oh, and as a little bit of information, no- I don't have an infection or anything medically wrong (other than PCOS) that would cause a large amount of fertile cervical fluid like that. I also see a temperature rise after I have EWCM for a few days.

My DH and I have been trying to conceive for 7 months and I just started Met (1000 mg a day) on August 31, 2007. I had EWCM and a high/soft/open cerivx from Sept 4-7, but decided not to use an OPK this month.

Thanks in advance for any information...

Cookin' Mama

Thanks

No, the presence of ewcm does not always mean ovulation. A temp shift that remains elevated for 3 consecutive days is a better sign that ovulation has occurred.

Angie
    Goals for 2010:

1. Exercise using Taebo at least 1 time per week,and yoga at least 1 time per week.
    2. Stick to low glycemic foods.
    3. Get pregnant!Hidden Content

Thanks

Yes, its a sign that ovulation is more likely to occur, but not a guarantee. Also, leftovers from the sex the night before can LOOK like EWCM.

Thanks

Unfortunately it's not always a sign. I had EWCM last month but then the dr confirmed no ovulation. Like Angie said, your best bet is charting your temps and you can also have your dr confirm. GL and baby dust!
    Jen and Doug

Married 3-18-06
    7/07 Dx PCOS ; 9/07 Dx Male Factor
    BFP 7-29-08 (11dpo) 150 mg clomid + IUI + acupuncture

Hidden Content
    Katherine Patricia - born 5:03 pm on April 16, 2009...8 lbs, 4 oz....21 inches

Hidden Content

Thanks

what if you have ewcm and your temp doesn't go up the next day? Does that mean you didn't ovulate or does it take a few days?

Anyone seen my hormones? one-hit_wonder's Avatar
    Thanks

I get ewcm even when I'm anovulatory, so ewcm isn't a guarantee, but it's one of many signs to pay attention to.

When I am ovulatory, I get ewcm for 5 days before the actual ovulation. I've never had just one day of ewcm and then o.

Hth!
    Hidden Content Severe male factor and borderline PCOS.

IVF/ICSI/AH #2

Baby is cooking...

Hidden Content

Thanks

I used to get all the fertile signs, high open cervix with ewcm, followed by rise in bbt. I thought my charts looked great. My dr wanted me to double-check with opks, and I never got an lh surge. Apparently, despite my charts and body telling me I was ovulating, I apparently wasn't.
    me 35, dh 37,
    I have pcos, dh has several male IF factors
    ttc# 2 since 8/04
    bfp with femara/iui 8/07, m/c 10/07 at 8w3d Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Mourning my Aunt Nancy, taken too soon on 12-30-07. You were my inspiration.

Thanks

Wow! Thank you all for the information. That really helped- even if it isn't exactly what I had hoped to hear! But, it does give me somewhere to go and I now know that I need to have my doctor test me to see I have been ovulating.

Supermouse- I was thinking it could be left over from our love making, but usually gravity takes over with my body instantly and it's making it's way out quickly- even when I sit elevated for 3 hours!

JL6715- Thanks for all the baby dust! I need every bit I can get!

Oh, and Congrats SoonerMama on your BFP! That's very exciting! It's always encouraging to see that the women around me with PCOS are getting pregnant! Sticky Dust to you!

Thank you all again...you guys were very informative!

Cookin' Mama