Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Just found this site and this is my very first post. I am 30 years old and I also am dealing with this extremely PAINFUL, ANNOYING, and EMBARRASSING side effect of PCOS. Nothing seems to get rid of it. Well, at least not completely. All of the over the counter and infomercial topical treatments (including Proactiv) will start to help for a short period of time, but then aggravate the condition to make it worse then it was prior to using it. My doctor just recently started me (within the last few days) on Spironolactone and Metformin. I hope this will provide some relief. I am finding that very few doctors are truly education on this condition. They know a little about it but not enough to be a professional. It makes me feel good to know that I am not alone in this....

Holly

Thanks

Give the spironlactone a few weeks but it will help. It decreased my acne and within the year, I had flawless skin which I hadn't experienced in 20 years.

Thanks

first of all Hi, this is my very first post
    Just wanted to let you know, that spearmint did wonders for me-I've been drinking it twice a day for 6 weeks now. I noticed the difference right away, I had no new cysts and the old ones began to heal. I did have some new ones couple of days before my period but only a few and I guess that's just normal.

Thanks

Amoxicillen 500mg 2 pills 2xaday based on weight. I had it really bad right before my wedding I stayed on amoxicillen for 2 yrs my derm said that cystic acne is an infection in your body to deep to control with over the counter meds. I have not had any problems with any acne since the birth of my daughter in 2010. I beleave it cleared it up for good. If not I know exactly what to do this was so painful and horrible never want to have to go through that again. Go see a dermatologist don't waist your money on products the only thing I wash my face with is dove bar soap.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

wow thanks all for posting i am gonna have to try some of the things people said!!!
    wish me luck!!!

Thanks

I would also 2nd, 3rd, etc, Retin-A for facial acne as well as switching toothpaste, and always making sure to tone after brushing teeth.

Thanks

Hi all, I'm new to this site. Diagnosed with PCOS last year. My skin is horrific, I've been on every kind of cream and antibiotic from the doctor. I've also tried most over the counter treatments. I've just started metformin last week and was wondering if anyone can recommend any herbal supplements I can take to help my acne. I don't want to go on BC and that seems to be the GPS solution.
    Losing hope now and feeling really down. Would be greatful for any advice. Thanks.
    Becky xx

Thanks

I know the acne associated with PCOS can be frustrating. I started metformin about 6 months ago. It haa really decreased the frequency & severity of my acne. However, it did take a month or so before I started to see results. Hang in there.

Thanks

From time to time my usually mild acne develops into cystic acne... Usually there's no apparent trigger for it
    i take oxytetracycline when it gets bad. Seven years ago I was given Roaccutane at 13 and had a severe allergic reaction which has scarred me for life.

I also have a skin condition, Steatacyatomamultiplex, which can flare up too into boils at times so that doesn't help.

Thanks

I don't really get cystic acne anymore (I have lots of small whiteheads, blackheads etc), but I used to get cysts for 10 + years and this is what helped me.

If it was really bad, then the Dr prescribed me Amoxicillin (the antibiotic). This is not for long term use, but after 7 days your cysts should have shrunk. The effects can last for around 3 weeks. I discovered this by accident when I was sick once & took the antibiotics and my face cleared up.

Try microdermabrasion. It's not for everyone, but it worked for me. My acne is more superficial and not so "deep" if that makes sense. Usually with MD you start with a course of 5-6, then have regular maintenance treatments. Not sure how it will work for your type of acne though.

Go easy on the dairy. It seems to contribute to acne flare-ups in some people. Experiment and see how it works for you.

Anything you lay your face on - pillowcases etc - try NOT to use fabric softener on them. That was a random tip I heard and it seems to help.

IPL helped my skin to look better - smoother, less scarring etc , but due to $, I can't afford more treatments.

I was on Diane-35 for years and still got cysts. I tried loads of natural supplements - no improvement. I was prescribed Benzyl Peroxide creams ... Were terrible for me. In my late teens I was prescribed Roaccutane, my skin cleared completely while I was on it, but started to deteriorate quickly after I stopped (side -effects are awful too).

Most treatments and products I've tried have side-effects (sometimes quite serious), so I wish you all the best in finding what works for you and I hope I've helped.
    • Me SAHM 36, DH 41, Beautiful DS born 2012
    • Conceived on 2nd round of Clomid + trigger after 3 years TTC naturally
    • Metformin 1700 mg, multivitamin once daily, omegas
    • Lost all my baby weight 7 months PP - 66kgs/145lbs.
    • THEN put on a load - now the heaviest I've been in years - 76kgs/167 lbs.
    • Back on Weightwatchers

[url=Hidden Content http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wNldLUT/weight.png"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

m taking vitex atm, hope it helps :/

Thanks

Pretty sure I know what everyone is talkin about here.....My chin gets those pimples that never really grow & go away like normal ones. they feel like a little pea under your skin that no matter how much you pick (i know, gross!) it won't do anything. WELL, I found one (or so I think) on the crease of my earlobe behind my ear. I've struggled with blackheads around my ears too. So.....can anyone confirm what they mean by cystic acne? I have an appt to get this checked out next week, but it sure feels a lot like the ones I get on my chin.
    Hidden Content Lisa

Married DH - 9/13/97
    Diagnosed 2001
    DS - 8/24/03

"Failure is the condiment that gives success it's flavor."
    ~Truman Capote

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy Mae View Post
    Pretty sure I know what everyone is talkin about here.....My chin gets those pimples that never really grow & go away like normal ones. they feel like a little pea under your skin that no matter how much you pick (i know, gross!) it won't do anything. WELL, I found one (or so I think) on the crease of my earlobe behind my ear. I've struggled with blackheads around my ears too. So.....can anyone confirm what they mean by cystic acne? I have an appt to get this checked out next week, but it sure feels a lot like the ones I get on my chin.
    Cystic acne is usually a hard painful lump too deep to pop, it made my chin very lumpy. The only thing that stopped my cystic acne was Accutane, I tried everything under the sun for many years before it became available.

Also I would get cysts in my earlobes from wearing pierced earrings, I don't wear them anymore because I seem to have a reaction to any kind of metal in my ears, accutane didn't help with the earlobe cysts. Do you have pierced ears?

Good luck with your appointment!
    Hidden Content
    “Hard times build determination and inner strength. Through them we can also come to appreciate the uselessness of anger." Dalai Lama XIV
    "That which you manifest is before you." from The Art of Racing in the Rain - my new favorite book!