Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Ovulating but no period?

Is it possible to ovulate and not get your period? I think I heard once that it is possible. I ask because for the first time that I can remember, I had twingy pain in what I would think is my ovary. This happened a couple times over a few days. Yesterday and the day before I noticed some thick, milk discharge. I've never had it before.

Keeper of the Cheerios! Sister66's Avatar
    Thanks

No, it IS possible to have a period without having ovulated. The only time you will ovulate and not have a period is if you are pregnant. It's possible to have all the signs that you've ovulated but not actually have done so.

~*~ ARMY Family ~*~
    Angela & Shaun
    Nate 9, Nick 5, Katie 3, Kaleb 1
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Have you just not been having a period lately??? Cause you may have ovulated and are approaching a period if you are not pregnant... I see you've lost some weight through your ticker and that could bring on ovulation and put your body back into having a period if you've not been having one lately... best wishes to you sweetie!
    Sarah
    Dx PCOS - 1996, taking Metformin
    Praise God for our 2 little loves, praying for #3!!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sister66 View Post
    The only time you will ovulate and not have a period is if you are pregnant.
    This is not exactly true... You can ovulate and NOT have periods. That's why it is possible to not have periods BUT get pregnant.

This is what I read at:
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/get...ulationfaq.htm

Can I ovulate without having a period?
    Since a woman releases an egg 12-16 days before her expected period, it is possible for women to get pregnant without having periods. Women who are not menstruating due to a certain condition (i.e.…low body weight, breastfeeding, perimenopause) risk the chance of ovulating at any point. For those who want to conceive, the lack of periods could make it more difficult to know the timing of ovulation if you are not charting temperature and cervical fluid changes. But if you are not having periods and wanting to prevent pregnancy, a form of contraception should be used since there is no way to know when ovulation will occur.
    Name: Rachel (36)Hidden Content Husband: Russ (34)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Leikela View Post
    This is not exactly true... You can ovulate and NOT have periods. That's why it is possible to not have periods BUT get pregnant.

This is what I read at:
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/ovulationfaq.h
    Good job! I thought too that I had read somewhere you can ovulate and not have a period.
    Sarah
    Dx PCOS - 1996, taking Metformin
    Praise God for our 2 little loves, praying for #3!!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thank you! I had looked online and found a couple different responses. I've only had a period when I take prometrium. I've been taking it for the past week; I took the last pill tonight. I'm really hoping that I did ovulate...that would be so totally awesome! Like they say, there's a first time for everything!! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thanks

This is what I read at:
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/get...ulationfaq.htm

Since a woman releases an egg 12-16 days before her expected period, it is possible for women to get pregnant without having periods. Women who are not menstruating due to a certain condition (i.e.…low body weight, breastfeeding, perimenopause) risk the chance of ovulating at any point. For those who want to conceive, the lack of periods could make it more difficult to know the timing of ovulation if you are not charting temperature and cervical fluid changes. But if you are not having periods and wanting to prevent pregnancy, a form of contraception should be used since there is no way to know when ovulation will occur.
    This is true BUT it's not the entire answer and I suppose it depends on whether the OP is asked if she has to have a period BEFORE she can ovulation or if she will not have one AFTER.

IF you ovulate, you WILL have a period OR get a positive pregnancy test. A period occurs AFTER ovulation so you can become pregnant without having a period first. You can not ovulate without then becoming pregnant OR having a period after.

~*~ ARMY Family ~*~
    Angela & Shaun
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sister66 View Post
    This is true BUT it's not the entire answer and I suppose it depends on whether the OP is asked if she has to have a period BEFORE she can ovulation or if she will not have one AFTER.

IF you ovulate, you WILL have a period OR get a positive pregnancy test. A period occurs AFTER ovulation so you can become pregnant without having a period first. You can not ovulate without then becoming pregnant OR having a period after.
    From research that I've done on this, you can ovulate and NOT get a period. If you ovulate and do not get a period, this will not always mean you are pregnant. If you are an athlete and exercise vigorously, you can ovulate and NOT get your period. If you are of a low body weight, you can ovulate and NOT get your period. There are other disorders that will cause women to ovulate and NOT get their period.

With this said, for the women that do not get their period, but STILL OVULATE, it is much harder for them to get pregnant because they cannot tell when they are ovulating since no period follows ovulation.

Now, to the original poster, prometrium will NOT cause you to ovulate. It simulates your cycle and will cause you to slough off the lining of your uterus which will cause bleeding. There are other drugs that can help with ovulation but prometrium is not one of them. It is just to cause you to bleed after not having a period for a long time.

The above, ovulating and not getting your period is very rare. It's possible but not likely. Also, just because a woman gets her period, does not mean she has ovulated. What makes it harder for us women with PCOS is that we will have higher levels of LH which is what the ovulation kits rely on to predict when we will ovulate. So those tests really do not work for us.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

From research that I've done on this, you can ovulate and NOT get a period. If you ovulate and do not get a period, this will not always mean you are pregnant. If you are an athlete and exercise vigorously, you can ovulate and NOT get your period. If you are of a low body weight, you can ovulate and NOT get your period. There are other disorders that will cause women to ovulate and NOT get their period.
    According to this research you have done, please explain how this is possible.

If you've ovulated and the egg is not fertilized, it is dissolved by the body and the endometrium breaks down in the uterus and menstruation occurs. If you ovulate and a corpus luteum cyst remains, it may delay your period but you will still have one when the cyst is gone.

It is also possible to have follicles (eggs) mature but not release, which is NOT ovulation.

~*~ ARMY Family ~*~
    Angela & Shaun
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I haven't ever even heard of ovulation (that has been confirmed by ultrasound done couple of times around ovulation and with blood work after that) that has not induced period or pregnancy. And I do know a lot about women's physiology.

I do not believe it's possible before someone shows me a case with properly confirmed ovulation.

And let's assume the ovulation does occur and there is no period, when would there be a period? After another ovulation? What I've heard it's extremely unusual to have 2 ovulation in one cycle but it does bring you a period after the second one.
    Me 32 Hidden Content DH 33
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Dx: pco, endometriosis, bp
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Well, I got my information directly from the American Pregnancy Association. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/index.htm

And from reading comments from medical doctors that give advice on the internet. If this information is not sufficient and you believe it is wrong, perhaps you can find the right information and post your sources for us here. In the meantime, I will do more searching for the answers that we seek.

Thanks

Well, I got my information directly from the American Pregnancy Association. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/index.htm
    These FAQ are taken from the same website

This means that even if you haven't had a period due to one of those conditions, you can still ovulate at any time. As I said before, Ovulation has to occur BEFORE you have can have a period. The above does not say that you can ovulate and then not have periods, it says you can not have periods but still ovulate. Most pcos(ers) with infrequent cycles do not know they have ovulated until they have a period since pelvic pain and other common ovulation symptoms are common is PCOS sufferers.

Can I have a period and still not have ovulated?
    Having a period does not necessarily mean that ovulation has taken place. Some women may have what is called an anovulatory cycle, (meaning no ovulation) and can experience some bleeding which is mistaken for a period, but it is actually not a true period. This bleeding is caused by either a buildup in the uterine lining that can no longer sustain itself or by an estrogen level drop. The main way to decipher if ovulation is in fact taking place is by tracking the body temperature.

Self-explanatory.

~*~ ARMY Family ~*~
    Angela & Shaun
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Sister66,

Thanks for clarifying! I actually found this too and it says the same thing. That if you ovulate, a period will definitely follow.

http://www.drspock.com/faq/0,1511,12928,00.html

Thanks for being persistant with this issue because not only do I NOT want to give false information, but I have actually learned something new as well!

Thanks

Thanks for taking it so well, I just want everyone to understand and sometimes things just aren't very clear on the internet. Want to hear something really sad? I had this conversation with a DOCTOR! I so wanted to slap him since he should have known that information.

~*~ ARMY Family ~*~
    Angela & Shaun
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Ok I knew that a period doesn't mean you ovulated. I already knew that. My question should've said, does not having a period mean I can't ovulate? From what I have read (thank you ladies) it is possible correct? I know that prometrium doesn't cause you to ovulate. What concerns me is that if I did indeed ovulate and a period follows, I won't know if it's from the ovulation or from the prometrium doing its job. When I go back and read my OP, it is confusing even to me. Sorry for that

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast