Thanks

Default Anyone taking systemic enzymes?

Have you noticed any cycle disturbances? I'm taking nattokinase, but stopped it & am now just taking it periodically when I have "symptoms" (for high fibrinogen). My cycle last month was horrid when I was on it, and it looked annov. (Cycle begain with a 10 day AF). Also this cycle after a month on nattokinase only had a 3 day AF. This month I've got high FP temps & don't know what's going on, although I've only taken it once or twice in the last 10 days.

Things I've ruled out: Didn't ovulate early (-opk) and not pg (-hpt).

Would love to hear experiences...

Thanks

Wendy
    Last edited by NYER; 10-09-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    Wendy
    TTC our #1 for 12 yrs
    Me - 18yo DS from previous marriage
    DH - no children
    4 IVF's
    5 early lossesHidden Content
    Last m/c July 2007 5w6d
    Dx non-trad PCO in 3/07(no cysts), arthritis
    PH diet, lots of veg/fruit & magnesium, DHA (algae), Nattokinase, Saw Palmetto, Moducare
    Dx 10/07 - prothrombin mutation (clotting disorder)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi NYER, Could you please say more about systemic enzymes? I started a thread about dietary enzymes in the Alternative Remedies forum a couple of months ago because enzyme therapy is something that I would like to know more about. I actually was not even aware that you could take systemic enzymes - that sound interesting! (Aren't enzymes part of most or all metabolic processes??)

Someone on one of my non-PCOS groups mentioned vitalzym and also vitalzymx in relation to PCOS (something that might be helpful but I didn't find out why they thought that might be the case). I am not even sure what kind of enymes they are. I think the only thing I did confirm is that those products are pretty expensive!

Anyway please (if you know) say more about why you are interested in enzymes in relation to PCOS!

Many thanks and I look forward to learning!

Believe in Yourself lachicarubia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Someone on one of my non-PCOS groups mentioned vitalzym and also vitalzymx in relation to PCOS (something that might be helpful but I didn't find out why they thought that might be the case). I am not even sure what kind of enymes they are. I think the only thing I did confirm is that those products are pretty expensive!

Anyway please (if you know) say more about why you are interested in enzymes in relation to PCOS!

Many thanks and I look forward to learning!
    I recently did a search on vitalzym so I could find out what enzymes it contained. I finally found a website that put the label info: http://www.outletnutrition.com/805034657103.html

It has serrapeptase enzyme, which is known to digest fibrin tissue, like scar tissue. It is a systemic enzyme, which needs to be taken on an empty stomach, so it can have a better chance to be absorbed into the body, and reach the areas with scar tissue.
    But it also has digestive enzymes, like lipase which digests fat, amylase digests sugar, protease and papain which digest protein. The digest enzymes need to be taken with food, because it helps to digest the food that you eat. So I am a bit confused as to why they would put digestive enzymes with systemic enzymes, since one you take on an empty stomach, and the other you take with food.

I take digestive enzymes with meals to help with digestion, it helps prevent indigestion, and heart burn, and also helps with the absorption of the essential nutrients in the food. I don't take it for PCOS Tx.

Before I got my BFP, I was taking a supplement that had JUST serrapeptase enzyme. I wasn't taking it for PCOS, I was taking it to help get rid of the scar tissue of my multiple sclerosis, and any other scar tissue in my body, like my c-section scar. I only took it for a little while, because I got my BFP with my first TTC cycle.

For PCOS, I take a blend of digestive enzymes that target the cell walls of yeast/candida. It is taken on an empty stomach, so it will digest the yeast, and not your food. Killing the yeast in my body is the 1 thing that I have done that has put my PCOS into remission. I have found that anything that kills yeast will help with PCOS, the Enzyme blend, but also with other things that kill yeast, like herbs, meds, etc.

I don't have any experience with nattokinase. From what PrettyasanAngel shared with us, I have learned that it is used to digest blood clots, which is helpful for those with clotting disorders. I am not sure what kind of effect it would have on PCOS symptoms, or fertility issues. It might just possibly have a yeast killing effect too?

The 10 day AF might have something to do with the blood thinning properties of the nattokinase, and your body might just be in transition, and might have some weird cycles as your body is in the process of healing.

Hopefully, PrettyasanAngel will post something about how the nattokinase has affected her cycles.
    Cara

Hidden Content
    DS#1 (10) natural BFP
    Twin angels Hidden Content BFP w/ yeast control, m/c @ 9w d/t low prog
    DS#2 (6) BFP w/ yeast control
    Hidden Content (2) BFP w/ Hidden Content

TTC #4 w/ Hidden Content Hidden Content
    6/3/09 BFP 10DPO beta 76 p4 20.1
    13DPO beta 627 p4 21.6
    17DPO Beta 3379
    7w2d U/S Hidden Content x1 p4 18
    Hidden Content 2/10/2010, 39w3d, 8 lbs 10oz.

Thanks

August,
    I originally started systemic enzymes as a last ditch effort for my repeat miscarriages. I have immune issues (of which no one is able to diagnose) and I took wobenzym with bovine colostrum. I had a really bad reaction (not the norm!) and had all kinds of inflammation markers in my blood work, as well as a year of severe joint pain, and finally I had found out I also had high fibrinogen after my last m/c. Systemic enzymes do so many things, but one of them is that they break down the cell walls of tissue (like Cara said about yeast) where infections can hide (which can actually cause coagulation problems - because blood also clots to wall off infection). I had headaches, palpitations & leg pain after my last m/c & was very scared. Had Doppler, and everything was "fine", hematol. wouldn't give me blood thinners, so I resorted to nattokinase to hopefully break down the fibrinogen. Anyway, Vitalyzm has a bit of a controversy surrounding it because it supposedly doesn't have the enteric coating, and so it doesn't work so well as a systemic enzyme. Look up wobenzym because that brand will give you lots of info. I bought a very large bottle of wobenzym on ebay for 1/2 the price, so you can find them if you look hard!! HTH!

Thank you Cara for your detailed response! That's so interesting about the yeast connection & amazing that you put PCOS in remission! I obviously have not done my research and didn't know there was a connection. I think I'm going to look into taking the digestive enzymes, as I also have heartburn/reflux and I often feel like things are just sitting in my stomach stagnating. You're probably right about my body being in transition. I know the syst. enzymes can stir things up a bit. Right now my body feels like it's pregnant (sore bbs, very emotional, high temps), but I definately know I'm not. It's driving me crazy. Hopefully it will sort out.

Did you take the digestive enzymes during your pg? They're safe, right? I'm so sorry that you're dealing with MS. I did notice after taking wobenzm & also the nattok. that I had alot of (tmi) sludgy dark blood right when AF started. My VERY old c/s scar also itched like crazy. Sort of like it was healing on the inside. Or maybe that was a yeast thing too...

Thanks!
    Wendy
    TTC our #1 for 12 yrs
    DH - no children
    4 IVF's
    Last m/c July 2007 5w6d
    PH diet, lots of veg/fruit & magnesium, DHA (algae), Nattokinase, Saw Palmetto, Moducare

Hidden Content

Thanks

Cara,

Can you tell me what brand or type of enzymes you take? I went to GNC today, and while I thought the guy was trying to save me a buck, he gave me totally wrong info. He told me to buy Papaya Enzymes because they work on everything but protein. Well, it's the opposite I've found out. I tried to google enzymes, but it's all so confusing. So far I think two of the most essential are Amylase & Lipase?? Not sure though. And I'm very confused in that I read in the context of Digestive Enzymes that they also break down cell walls & dead tissue, and it didn't say anything about taking them systemically/empty stomach?? Or did I misunderstand this? Thanks!

ETA: I finally got a hint of a line on OPK today, so all is right with the world again.
    Last edited by NYER; 10-11-2007 at 07:18 PM.
    Wendy
    TTC our #1 for 12 yrs
    DH - no children
    4 IVF's
    Last m/c July 2007 5w6d

Hidden Content