Thanks

Default Pulling sensation behind belly button in a male?

This question isn't for me, but I've done lots of web searches and can't find any information for this symptom in men.

I have someone I know who is male who asked me this question. he's been treated for urinary tract infection several times in succession, and he's not feeling terrible, but has a pulling sensation behind his navel. It's worse when he sits down, better when he's standing up.

I asked him about his water intake, and he doesn't drink much at all. Mostly tea and coke and coffee. And I'm talking about the kind that's full of sugar, not the diet kind.

I hope it's just a UTI and not something like an intestinal blockage. Anyone know?
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg
    Depo-Provera (at the moment)

Thanks

The area across your belly button is your transverse colon. He might want to check into irritable bowel syndrome, but definitely mention it to the dr. just to be sure. IBS is controlled by diet and sometimes meds can help.
    Pcos controlled with diet and glucophage

Hidden Content

Thanks

my husband has that and its a slight hernia. his father and brother both have it. maybe get a scan and see if it is in fact that. keep us posted! and sorry he is hurting, poor guy!

Thanks

The two things that men in my family have had when they had that sensation was a hiatal (sp) hernia and an abdominal aortic bulge. How old is the man in question?

If he has insurance I would ask the doc to do an ultrasound of his aorta to verify that there is no bulging. There are rarely symptoms before a bulge lets go and bursts....and when they burst there is about a 2% survival rate.

It's not likely an aortic bulge, they are more common in older men who do lots of sitting....the reason I'd have it looked into is that the u/s is a simple proceedure to rule it out. My FIL died at 64 this year from an abdominal aortic aneurism and that's the sensation he complained of. The docs checked him about 50 times for a hernia and never found anything because they weren't looking in the right place.

So I'm a little jumpy on the subject
    Dx'ed PCOS 7/07
    Dx'ed T2 8/05
    Dx'ed Hypothyroid 7/03
    Saille (34) DH (36) DS (7)

Hidden Content

Thanks

He's 30. He's a bit overweight, but not obese or anything, just a bigger belly. Used to be a policeman so he's fit, just has a belly.

I know he's had a history of GERD/reflux problems, but when he talked about it before to me it didnt' make sense. Something about him having an endoscopy and not being able to eat a lot of food. But I've been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, and was under the impression it was at the top of your stomach where the esophagus meets it, not near your belly button. I know the stomach can enlarge when it's full, though.

an umbilical hernia sounds more possible, but is that something that's life threatening or just a nagging problem?

I doubt he'd listen to me about the AAA, but I'll see if I can broach the subject cautiously. You're right, an ultrasound is easy and cheap, but can save lives.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg
    Depo-Provera (at the moment)

Thanks

umbilical hernia
    THAT's the one! I had it wrong. Hernias can be very painful when they flare up, and I think they can become dangerous if they become perforated, and so need to be at least monitorred.

I know the AAA is very unlikely in a man so young.....but hey....it's something good to rule out!
    Dx'ed PCOS 7/07
    Dx'ed T2 8/05
    Dx'ed Hypothyroid 7/03
    Saille (34) DH (36) DS (7)

Hidden Content

Thanks

My suggestion is to see if he will fast for at least one day and see if there is a difference. I recommend drinking nothing but water all day and maybe eating grapes or something like that. That will help him clean out his system if he does have some sort of blockage. If that doesn't help then my only other suggestion is to get an appt. with the doc. It might be a small problem now but could turn into a bigger problem later.