Thanks

Unhappy Metformin, Constant Period - WHEN WILL IT STOP?!

Hello all,

Well after going through many hoops, dealing with ignorant doctors and waiting for eons for an appointment, I finally got in to see an endocrinologist about my PCOS. Naturally he gave me Metformin as a medication for treatment. I was so happy about this I started taking it the same day of my appointment.

Here's my issue: I was already on my period when I saw the doctor. I had been on it off and on for about a week and a half (you know how us PCOS'ers have periods for more than the norm sometimes). Well, since taking the Metformin my period HASN'T STOPPED!

Does this normally happen with a good amount of women that are on Metformin for PCOS? I'm worried because I don't want to stop the medication, I want to give it a chance. The doc is giving it 3 months to see how it's affecting me. I can understand this happening if my Metformin is just balancing my hormones, but I wanted to see if this happened to any one of you, how long did it take for the constant bleeding to stop? Did it take weeks, MONTHS?!

I know there's already been a similar question on this topic, but I'm just really worried that I'll bleed forever! Please help.

Thanks,

-Spritestar

Thanks

My period did the same when my dosage was increased to 1500 mg. He gave me the 100 mg (I think-it was a lower dose) of prometrium, and it stopped the period and then gave me a short one after I stopped the medicine.

I hope it gets better for you. My only problem now with the increased dosage is gas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimes16 View Post
    My period did the same when my dosage was increased to 1500 mg. He gave me the 100 mg (I think-it was a lower dose) of prometrium, and it stopped the period and then gave me a short one after I stopped the medicine.

I hope it gets better for you. My only problem now with the increased dosage is gas.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm lucky, the only side effect I have right now is the nonstop period, which is a pain but at least I'm not getting anything else so far. BTW, I forgot to mention but this is my 16th day on my period thanks to the Metformin. I'm supposed to start taking 3 pills of met, increasing it to 2250mg starting tomorrow. I don't know if this will stop it, but if it doesn't stop after next week then I'm going to call my doctor. Hopefully he'll give me some of the Prometrium stuff or something to stop the constant bleeding.

The Metformin seems to be helping my excessive hair growth a bit, that's how I know it's doing something right. And the weight loss efforts are easier with it too. I just need this bleeding to go away!

Anyone else with this same nonstop period issue? :BUMP:

Thanks,

-Spritestar

Thanks

Red face

Mine hasn't been nonstop but I have had 2 periods within one month, with a week's break inbetween. I'm feeling a little PMSish, so I'm expecting to get another period soon. My last one just stopped a week ago... I'm getting tired of it too. Before this I rarely even got a period! I'm not sure what to do either!
    me- 30 dh-31, married 8 yrs
    lean sister
    - 1st miracle baby conceived naturally in 6-03
    - 2nd miracle baby conceived on Met/Clomid/FSH Injections in 11/05
    - TTC #3 "naturally" since 6/07
    - tried Met for 8 months... didn't bring on ovulation for me.
    - 9-26-08 I ovulated! Second time EVER naturally, in my adult life
    - Now 14dpo, negative test but no period yet....

Thanks

Default Wow--just the opposite here...

I haven't had a period since Aug. 25th!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jodes View Post
    Mine hasn't been nonstop but I have had 2 periods within one month, with a week's break inbetween. I'm feeling a little PMSish, so I'm expecting to get another period soon. My last one just stopped a week ago... I'm getting tired of it too. Before this I rarely even got a period! I'm not sure what to do either!

Metformin didn't make this happen for me, it was provera. I would start my period for a week, and then I would stop for about a week, then continue for another week. This is why I would only use provera 1-2 times a year...The flow was very slow, which fustrated me, AND I had the dilemma of when should I take clomid? was suppose to be on CD3 but I had NO idea when that would be, the 1st preiod, or second. After being on 2000mg of met, I got my 1st period on my own in 16yrs, every other time would be brought on my the use of provera. Now, I am just waiting to see if I get a period on my own again.

spritestar, I hope you talk to your Dr. soon.. Even tho my period was 2 weeks (split up) it was enough to drive me insane.
    EDD: Jan. 15th 2009
    2yrs to the day we lost our adoptive DD back to her birth mom

Bridjette Kathleen is HERE!!!
    born Jan. 19th/09 10:18pm
    9lbs 12.5oz 21.5inches long
    via C-Section

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

EDD: Oct. 13th 2010 and it's a GIRL!!!!

Megan - 34yrs
    DH Earl - 40yrs
    TTC for 12yrs

Thanks

It was provera for me also that made me bleed almost constantly, i took it as a one of at the beg of october for only 5 days. then i bled for 6 days, had 6 days off then bled for 16 days. then spotting on and off for a week, its stopped now, although i had some bleeding after a smear yesterday, but diff sort of bleed i guess. Its so annoying, and frustrating. I think i prefer absent periods where i dont have one for 2 months or so.
    Hope it stops soon x

Thanks

I started a very light period right after starting the met and it lasted for 2 weeks. It hasn't been back yet, but I've only been taking the met for about a month.
    Trying to get diagnosis since 2002
    FINALLY diagnosed October 2007
    Metformin 500 mg from 28 October 2007
    Metformin 1000 mg starting 12 November 2007
    Amanda (me) 30
    Jason (DH) 33
    "Our 3 sons" 10, 6, & 15 months

Thanks

Thanks for all the great replies guys. It's so odd how Metformin and other medications make us go so off balance!

Well I'm happy to say that my period stopped yesterday! I was going to post yesterday but wanted to make sure that it had officially halted. It lasted officialy 17 days. On Thanksgiving (Thursday) I was only spotting in the morning, and it was lighter than normal. This was also the day when I started my Metformin dosage of 3 pills a day. I was having cramps that day, but no bleeding after early morning. It seemed as if my body wanted to bleed again, but couldn't. All I know is that it's finally over and I'm so RELIEVED!

I haven't had my period this heavy in a long time. I mean I was feeling cramps on cramps, and they were so bad that it even hurt to touch my stomach at times ! My husband said it was just my ovaries working double time, getting used to the Metformin and hormonal changes. He was semi-kidding, but you know, I think he was right!

Well I'll be watching my cycle very closely to see if any other odd menstrual behavior happens. Good luck everyone!

-Spritestar

Thanks

Mine goes for a slow 10 days. Recently switched to 1500mg so we will see if this is any better.