Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default How to take Vitex...

Okay, I've been on birth control for several years and want to stop it. I've decided to try vitex and I have not a clue on how to take it or when...I bought the liquid stuff at the vitamin shoppe but haven't taken it because I don't know how. Please help!

Thanks

Im taking mine for the whole cycle as advised by my herbalist.I think its safe until you get a bfp..but you maybe want to do some serach on it..

Thanks

Most sites I've found said that you can take it up until you get your BFP without any adverse affects. For me, I took 800mg Vitex (400 in the morning, 400 at night) every day of my cycle until I got my BFP. I started Vitex at the end of March and got my BFP on 4th of July, so it didn't take too long for Vitex to work for me. I was also taking Met at the same time, so the Vitex may have boosted the effects (or Met may have boosted the Vitex). I highly recommend it (as evidenced in my sig - I'm 26 weeks pregnant!!). GL!!

Thanks

I take Vitex all cycle long.

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyS727 View Post
    Most sites I've found said that you can take it up until you get your BFP without any adverse affects. For me, I took 800mg Vitex (400 in the morning, 400 at night) every day of my cycle until I got my BFP. I started Vitex at the end of March and got my BFP on 4th of July, so it didn't take too long for Vitex to work for me. I was also taking Met at the same time, so the Vitex may have boosted the effects (or Met may have boosted the Vitex). I highly recommend it (as evidenced in my sig - I'm 26 weeks pregnant!!). GL!!
    hey i have been on met for almost 3months now and i am thinking of adding vitex...how long were u on the met b4 u added the vitex? also, i am an overweight sister. are you? i just want to know so that i can have an idea how that is affecting my progress...

Thanks

Default vitex

Hi ladies....
    You can take vitex all throughout your cycle, including during a period. It seems to work best when taken on rising in the morning. Follow the dosage guidelines on the bottle, or see a naturopath or herbalist to get advice on the right dose for you.
    It can work especially well for those who also have high prolactin and low progesterone.
    Julie Hidden Content
    Naturopath with PCOS

PCOS Healthy Eating Tips & 6 Step Solution at Hidden Content

Thanks

can i take vitex even if my LH levels are high already. I've heard that vitex can increase LH?

Thanks

Possibly. The main effect of vitex/chaste tree is to reduce elevated prolactin (by increasing dopamine), and increase progesterone. In some cases it may have an effect on LH levels over time, but the other benefits often outweigh this.
    3 months is usually all that is needed to bring the positive effects, so a 3-6 month trial can be a good idea, but usually only if high prolactin and low progesterone are present.

hope that helps!
    Julie Hidden Content
    Naturopath with PCOS

PCOS Healthy Eating Tips & 6 Step Solution at Hidden Content

Thanks

i just bought liquid vitex, and suggestions on how to take it? I mixed it with water like the bottle said... but I could only drink like half the glass, it was awful....please help!!

Registered User MoonStarFalling's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it tastes better straight than mixed in something.
    Raw Food!
    Hidden Content
    DS 7 years old
    Breastfeeding DD for 2 years!

Thanks

i tried it straight, i tried it with water, with juice, with lemonade.... I couldn't do it! Its so fumey, the feeling and taste left behind were too much for me! So i went to Gnc and bought the capsules instead! Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks

I'm joining the vitex/dong quai bandwagon this month! Thanks for the pointers.

Registered User MoonStarFalling's Avatar
    Thanks

cocopop What brand are you taking and what does it taste like? Mine just tastes peppery (it's also called monk's pepper). I love the flavor actually.
    Raw Food!
    Hidden Content
    DS 7 years old
    Breastfeeding DD for 2 years!

Thanks

i take it in a tincture (liquid) and just put it in a very small amount of water and then shoot it back and follow it with water (like doing a shot).

Thanks

i can't remember the brand name.... I have been taking 800 mg in the capsule form now, got it a GNC, 100 for $10. I heard its more effective in liquid... but I just couldn't handle it at all.