Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default What to eat while taking Metformin?

Hi everyone ... I've been lurking for quite a while but just joined as a member to post and get a bit of advice.

I have PCOS - have had it for years - never treated for it - until now because of inability to lose weight. I'm on Metformin, 150 mg, 2x a day. I haven't noticed any weight loss yet - I'm on week 2 - and have all the other side effects, loss of appetite, bathroom issues etc. But I find when I eat a meal with lots of carbs and sugar (i.e. not the way I should be to lose weight) in it I feel absolutely horrible afterwards - very sluggish - sick to my stomach - flu-like. I assume this is normal given Metformin's role in adjusting blood sugar - I guess because it makes your bs fluctuate too much? But then I've read quite a bit about not doing a low-carb diet with Metformin. My doctor didn't give me any diet instructions - just that I should keep up with Weight Watchers.

So my question is .............. should I be trying to do low-carb while on Metformin? Anyone else feel VERY ill when they eat a high carb meal. For instance - I just had 1/2 a chicken salad sandwhich and a small bag of potato chips and I feel just awful.

Any advice is appreciated - sorry for the long post.

Thanks!

Gabrielle

Hoping for our miracle... down_in_tx's Avatar
    Thanks

You're only on 150mg 2x day? I take 500 mg 3x day. I had bathroom issues in the beginning, but now only if I eat very greasy or high carb foods and LETTUCE!! ha ha... You will find that most of the ladies here follow the GI diet... http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/ The more you read about it the more it makes sense. I do not have the glucose issues and the Metformin made me VERY sluggish when I first started taking it. The nurse told me to make sure I had something with sugar in it when I started to feel that way. I have been on 1500mg since Oct and don't have many issues at all (except those listed above). I love Mexican food, but now it doesn't love me back... ha ha..... Take care and GOOD LUCK!

Hugs to you - Marci
    Me (38) DH (35)
    Married 1/95
    Dx @ age 15 with uterine defect
    HSG 1998 - missing right tube (& right kidney)
    Laporoscopy 2004 - endometriosis - ovaries "normal"
    9/2007 after visit with IVF dr - FINALLY diagnosed with PCOS
    5/2008 dx hypothyroid

Daily: Prenatal Vits, 1500 mg Metformin (3 @ 500 mg), 50 mg Synthroid

LOTS of furbabies: 4 horses, 2 cows, 5 dogs

Thanks

I am on 1500 per day also and I did have trouble at first going to bathroom alot etc. Sometimes still when I eat certain foods (eggs lateley) I have to go to the bathroom but since I have been on them a while (since July) I have gotten used to what to eat and not. Thanks for the info on the GI diet.
    Hidden Content Nikki (35)Hidden Content Chad (37) Married 9/2/06Hidden Content
    One furbaby cat Sammy!Hidden Content

M/C 2/21/08
    Waiting on AF to ttc!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

[/URL]

Thanks

Thanks Marci - I'm happy to hear that its normal to feel this way in the beginning.

Sorry - I got my dosage wrong - I'm on 500mg 2x a day. Oops.

I don't have many bathroom issues @ all - just more feeling very sick and shaky. I do feel very confused about it all - if Metformin causes a drop in my blood sugar than it should be okay to eat some carbs while taking it?

I am a bit confused about it all - I know I love that my appetite is decreased and that I'm eating less but hate the sick feeling. I'll have to check out the GI diet.

THANKS!

Thanks

welcome to sc i was feeling really sick/tired when i first started the met.
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Cut back on the simple carbs, and instead have the more complex carbs. I have had the tummy problems but not the sluggish problems or the feeling sick to my tummy problem

I however also know in order to lose weight I have to cut back on all of that bad food!! I was and still could be a ice cream nutt, but when I eat it, not to much time after I have to sit on the toilet!!!

Good luck!!

Thanks

I found that while the "white carbs"-white rice, white bread, those sorts of things were really making me feel awful for the first few months, that did settle down after a few months of taking Met. Fruit and veggies never seemed to cause that same sort of problem. That said, I felt best when eating largely a low GI diet, perhaps not as strictly as some other people, but it's how I felt good. I also found that making sure that I ate carb+protein made me feel much better than carbs alone-an apple with cheese or with peanut butter, for example. I'm pregnant right now and actually found that low GI while pregnant wasn't leaving me feeling as well, and so I've had to re-balance what I eat, but that happens sometimes.

Thanks

I'm on month 2 right now and I remember that sluggish feeling very well. At times, it felt like my body was melting if that makes any sense. It's hard to describe what Met does to you! I found taking some bites of a Cliff bar helped. Also, Saltines are my friend even though they shouldn't be! Good luck!!!

Carrie

Thanks

The only real issue I had was iceberg lettuce, other kinds of lettuce like red leaf, green leaf, romain, spinach were fine.

Having read all kinds of posts regarding high-carb refined foods and met scared me so much that it was months and I was pretty used to Met before I was willing to chance any of those things without significant protein to balance it.

Thanks

i'm really curious if anyone knows what about lettuce makes you sick on met? i assumed that salads would be a great low GI option, but are they going to make me sick when combined with the met?

Thanks

i'm really curious if anyone knows what about lettuce makes you sick on met? i assumed that salads would be a great low GI option, but are they going to make me sick when combined with the met?

Quae nocent, saepe docent Psyche's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no clue why lettuce is an issue with Met. I wish I did. I do know that it has become less of an issue since I had my gall bladder removed.

Having been on Met for years, I still get shaky and nauseated if I eat higher-carb foods. I find I do better eating low fat meats and vegetables.
    Hidden Content
    Me (38) Him (31)
    November 1992 - May 1995 - August 2006
    TTC again since December 2006
    DX - PCOS, IR, Hypothyroidism, Asherman's Syndrome, Incompetent Cervix
    Synthroid, Armour thyroid
    Metformin 1700mg
    Clomid 50mg - CD 5-9
    Baby Aspirin

Miscarriage 10/08

Live. Laugh. Love. celticscryer's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no clue why Metformin and lettuce do not mix, either. I wish it weren't the case, because I stick to my healthy eating much better when I can have a big salad with lunch and dinner.

I find that I have the least reaction when I take my Met with protein - even a protein shake, like Carnation Instant Breakfast, lessens the side effect a great deal.

Thanks

I took 500mg of MET Xr to get pregnant. Taking that while eating a low carb diet and walking made me lose 15lbs in 2 months.

Thanks

Hang in there and good luck!