Thanks

Question Nail Polish staying on nails

Ok I know this is not a major life threatening thing it is really bothering me. Some times when I do my nails, 2 coats polish and top coat all same brand,(new bottles of each) the next day the polish will literally peel off. Sometimes the whole nail, others just part of nail polish. Then my nails look really horrible. The polish is of name brand variety, not generic and is formaldehyde free. I have had this with other name brand and thought it was the formaldehyde causing it. My nails do seem better without the formaldehyde. It seems the more I try to feel more feminine the more the conspriracy demons comes out to get me.
    Other times I do my nails they are great for almost the entire week. That is nice.

Does any one else have this nail polish problem?
    ValB in TN (Not TTC)
    Chromium
    Ovcon35 - no breaks - no periods
    Wellbutin SR 150 mg 2x daily
    EffexorXR 75mg daily
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Loving Hubby and 16 yr old daughter

Thanks

I have that problem, too. It went away when I used to get acrylic nails, but that got boring for me. And expensive. I was worried that my nail polish wouldn't stay on for my wedding, but it did. It actually stayed on for a few days before chipping and peeling, and by that time, I didn't care. I've asked anyone who may have answers about it, but nobody really seems to have a good one for me. So, if I polish my nails, I have resigned myself to the fact that it will last MAYBE 24 hours.

Thanks

Hi

Oh. I thought it was just me!!!! I can put polish on my nails in the afternoon, and by the next day it's disappearing.

Or I can put polish on, and it'll stay for a day. Weird!!

Eva
    Age 35, dh 30, married 8 years, one son 5 years old

DX pcos Jan 2001
    DX ibs Dec 1999
    Dx LOCAH Sept 2001
    Hidradentis Suppurativa
    (lumps)
    Cervical Ectropion
    Raised blood pressure
    High Cholesterol
    Loads of meds - too many to mention!!

"She is buffeted by the waves but she does not sink"
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I know what you mean. I painted my nails a ghastly black for Halloween, and only a few hours later it was coming off! Bleah.

Thanks

Oh I so understand. It happens to me also.
    Grrr!!!!!!!!
    Me: 31/DF: 31
    Dx: PCOS 2001
    Sx: 40lbs overweight, excess hair, skin tags
    Diet: Low fat, moderate Mmcarbs, and dddmoderate protein
    Exercise: It's hard, but I try to exercise each day

DS: Nov 2010
    DD: Mar 2013

I may not be a 10, but the boys say I clean up good! -Gretchen Wilson

Thanks

Smile Thanks & Idea

I am soooo glad to know it is just not me with the paint flake nails. Another friend suggested that you use a fine grit buffer then alcohol before you polish. That way there is no oil and the polish has something to grab hold to. I am trying it this weekend and see how long it lasts then.
    ValB in TN (Not TTC)
    Chromium
    Ovcon35 - no breaks - no periods
    Wellbutin SR 150 mg 2x daily
    EffexorXR 75mg daily
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Loving Hubby and 16 yr old daughter

Thanks

I have that problem too. Some nails chip, some peel off, and others get scratches. Thank Goodness I only plish them 2 or 3 times a year.

Sarah (24) DH Mike (25)
    1st M/C 08-02-02 CMPHidden Content
    Now on Paxil 37.5, Avandia 8mg, and 1500mg XR
    TTC again Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

TTC Blessing #3 trying2makeazygote's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the same problem! I do best with just ONE COAT of clear (I usually only wear clear anyway, when I wear it----which is not often). The more coats I do the quicker it chips off. And the more it starts to wear/chip the more I pick at it. Even with one coat of clear by the next day it's toast!
    Marcy (31), Peter (30)
    Married May 18, 2002
    DS Henrik born 1.23.04 by c-section (conceived w/ Metformin & dexamethasone)
    DS Oskar born 2.28.05 by c-section (conceived w/no meds)
    DS Larson born 8.2.07 (conceived w/ clomid & dexamethasone)

...and with the birth of our 3rd son, our family is complete. Tubal done 8.2.07...

Hidden Content

Loving my sons & hubby :) Bethany's Avatar
    Thanks

I know what you mean, that is ANNOYING! I have a couple of things I usually do that help it to stay.
    One is making sure the polish is also along the edge of the nail at the end, instead of only on top. It seems to seal it somehow & stop it from peeling off as easily. It works especially well if you do this on your toes. Mine stays looking nice for days! If you get it on your skin you can peel it off easily in the shower
    Another tip is not to soak your hands in water for too long. I think that soaking the polish in water makes it peel off faster. For example, if you do the dishes, wearing gloves helps it stay longer.
    So that's my 2 cents
    Elizabeth

Thanks

I have the same problem too! If I put polish on my nails in the afternoon...by the evening the polish is already starting to chip and peel off! The more coats I put on, the faster they start peeling. I rarely put polish on my nails anymore...it's not worth the frustration!!!
    DX: PCOS - Oct. 21/02
    Also have Hypothyroidism (on Synthroid)

Fertility treatments - Clomid (50mg, CD3-7)
    - 1st attempt (11/20/02) - FAILED
    - 2nd attempt (12/20/02) - BECAME PREGNANT!
    Amy was born on on Oct. 1, 2003!

Hidden Content

Christian ladies join me at:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I have nail problems too.

I can't grow out my nails long, the longest I can maintain them is flush with my fingertip. I gave up on long nails and do well shaped and groomed short nails now.

First, they are really weak and tend to peel, like layers of an onion, or they tear. They'll get a tiny split on the edge, and then catch on my hair or clothing and just rip.

I tried silk wraps, guess what? The silk fabric just peeled off my nails. It wouldn't stick. Same with polish, the fancy basecoat, polish, UV activated topcoat manicure at the salon lasts me a few days, it is supposed to last a week or more. Home manicures are peeling and flaking within a day or so. Even with basecoat, and good topcoat.

I have found luck keeping a thin layer of OPI Nail Envy on my nails at all times, two coats. I only let my nails "breathe" without it one night a week. This helps keep mine from peeling and tearing so badly, and it does help my polish stay on better. I rarely do color on my nails, usually for fun or very formal or business attire. I prefer just the clearcoat.

The nail tech at the salon I go to says that I have "oily" nails.

Tracy
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo"....... H.G. Wells

- Diagnosed: '89
    - Effective treatment began: '98
    - Kids: None, child-free by choice
    - Meds: Metformin, Spironolactone, Victoza.

My Little Place in Cyberspace:
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Originally posted by Tracyarts
    The nail tech at the salon I go to says that I have "oily" nails.
    That's interesting, because I have this problem too, and I kind of formulated that same theory on my own! Who knew it might actually be legit. I figured since I have oily skin (face) I probably have oily nails too! Nail polish never stays on for me. Years ago when I had acrylic nails it stayed on for days, so that's when I decided it must just be oil or something on my nails that caused the polish to chip off.

It's interesting that so many cysters have the same problem.

Thanks

I've been told I have oily nails, too. But nobody's been able to tell me how to deal with it well. And I thought I was the only one.

Thanks

I have the same problem with my nails peeling. They peel layer by layer. They grow a little bit, then tear. I gave up trying to fight it. I just trim them when they show the first signs of a split.

Sarah (24) DH Mike (25)
    1st M/C 08-02-02 CMPHidden Content
    Now on Paxil 37.5, Avandia 8mg, and 1500mg XR
    TTC again Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I have the same problem, and I have oily facial skin, but my hands tend to be dry from being exposed to frequent washing, etc. I used to laugh when I heard of manicures lasting a week. Yeah, right! My nails tend to peel and chip easily too.

A couple things I find help: before putting on fresh polish, wash your hands and nails thoroughly to remove any traces of moisturizer or nail polish remover. They can both affect the staying power of your polish. Dry the nail well with a towel, so you get into the crevices.

One polish I have found to last longer than most on me is the new Avon one. It's old formulation was horrible, couldn't even last a couple hours on me, but this new one has been on my nails since Monday and no chips yet. I 've been using it for a year or so and really prefer it to all the other brands I've tried. Even with this brand, though, I still will eventually have to redo by the 4th or 5th day, but it is better than every day! I put on 2 coats, waiting for the first one to dry thoroughly before applying the second. If it is a pale color, I don't bother with the base or top coat.

I find the flesh colored shades work best for lasting a long time, since tiny chips don's show. I tend to keep my nails short to medium, depending on if they split/break.

My nails will never win any beauty contests, but I thought I'd share the polish that lasted best on me.
    nunu