Thanks

Default Metformin & lactose intolerance

I was wondering if anyone else has had their doctor mention that metformin can cause lactose inloterance. I have been on met for 5 years now and the stomach problems never went away. On my own I tried taking dairy our of my diet and I have felt a lot better - no longer getting sick to my stomach. I have been trying goat cheese and goat yogurt and so far i am okay. Anyone else with this experience? I have been trying to search the web and I'm not finding much.

Thanks!
    Me 38 - Past Issues: Endometriosis, Tubal PG, PCOS, Hyperplasia
    DH 41
    Married June 1995
    3 beautiful boys, 2 conceived with some help, third son conceived on our own (in just two months!!)
    Highly recommend the Primal Blueprint for a way of eating/lifestyle

Thanks

My doctor never said anything, but that was the reason I gave it up. I didn't feel like I could have a balanced diet cos I had to avoid all dairy, even the low fat stuff. I come from a farming family so it was odd not having milk etc in my diet.
    Cheese was about the only thing I could have, and thats consistent with a mild lactose intolerance. Can't remember why that is off the top of my head. Probably something to do with the fermentation/aging. I've never been a fan of yogurt so I'm not sure about that one.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me (28), DH (30)
    Diagnosed Aug 2005.

Symptoms: No periods, obese, excessive hair
    , acne
    Hidden Content
    Food and Nutrition and Economics Teacher
    Tracking calories & exercising - no gimmicks or diets!

Love my gym! Been at it for a year now!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

yes, i have lactose intollerance, too But im ok will a little bit of cheese. I have soya yoghurts and soya milk instead
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quae nocent, saepe docent Psyche's Avatar
    Thanks

I am lactose intolerant as well, but was before I started the Met. I have never been told Met causes LA, but I do know higher sugar and carb foods can cause the same GI issues that LA does, when one if on Met.
    Hidden Content
    Me (38) Him (31)
    November 1992 - May 1995 - August 2006
    TTC again since December 2006
    DX - PCOS, IR, Hypothyroidism, Asherman's Syndrome, Incompetent Cervix
    Synthroid, Armour thyroid
    Metformin 1700mg
    Clomid 50mg - CD 5-9
    Baby Aspirin

Miscarriage 10/08

Chance is Here!! SunnyInSeattle1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am lactose intolerant and I take MET. MET gave me consistance diarreha and dairy products make it worst. I hate to give up cheese. If I have milk, it is maybe a half of cup on cereal (and I dont drink the remaiing milk). I still have bad pains in my tummy....

Please see NEW Wa state Thread...Thx

http://www.soulcysters.net/washingto...post1888857991
    Sunny (39) & Scott (41)
    DS # 1 Clomid 50mg: BFP 3/24/10, born 11/28/10
    Meds: Met 1000mg, prenatal vits, colace, singular, b-12

TTC # 2 Aug/Sept. Clomid 50mg, cd 5-9, No O.
    Sept/Oct. Clomid 50mg, cd 3-7, O, BFN.
    Oct/Nov. Clomid 100mg, cd 3-7, O, BFN
    Nov/Dec. Clomid 100mg, cd 3-7, Dont know if I O'd, was drugged up
    Dec/Jan. Natural , cd 3-7, ??? Break
    Jan/Feb 2012 ????

Hidden Content

Live. Laugh. Love. celticscryer's Avatar
    Thanks

I've always been lactose intolerant, the Met just makes it worse, likely because one of the inactive ingredients is pure lactose, LOL.

I did notice the other day, though, that when I took my pill with lactose free milk, I had no side effects that day at all. That pretty much never happens! So, tomorrow I'm picking up some of those Lactaid tablets to take before or with my Met and see if that helps any.

Thanks

Default me too..i think...

I have been to the ER twice in less than a month...the first time i had pain on my right lower back and was thinking it was my kidneys (dad had big time kidney problems previously)...so I went there...CAT scan came back saying I had mild scoliosis of spine, enlarged spleen and lymph nodes. They gave me some strong NSAID and sent me home.
    The second time I went almost 2 weeks after the first time...they told me my spleen and lymph nodes "had healed itself!" but my gallbladder was enlarged. They told me I "may" have gall stones and needed to see a surgeon for surgery....the next day I had a doctor visit to make sure I was not anemic from the Autoimmune diagnosis...anyway this doctor told me he read the reports from the ER and that they said I "DID" have gallstones that I needed to go ahead with the surgery...

I'm like afraid too....what if my gallbladder heals itself??...lol...anyway
    my point being my pain was brought on by drinking the yogurt drink
    danon immunity(?) anyway...the stomach pains lasted anywhere from 2-6 hours...severe....

The doctors never said anything about lactose intolerant..but I told them what started the pains. I've been off dairy the past week and have had no pain until this morning when I made a smoothie with fat free milk.

soooo confusssed!...lol
    DX'd 2007 PCOS, hyperinsulinemia, hypothyroidism
    DX'd 2009 Autoimmune Disease
    ****Hidden Content ****[/FONT]

Buddyslim.com Hidden Content buddytslim

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have always been lactose intolrant but I have noticed that if I increase my fiber I can tolerate lactose better I never tried this before starting gluc but I now take2 or 3 fiber choice chewable tablets a day. It so far is working wonderfully.
    Holly~34
    Weight gain age 9
    PCOS symptoms began at age 15(1994)
    Diagnosis age 22(1999)
    Current Meds:
    Prenatal Multivitamin/Multimineral, Fiber Choice Fiber Supplement, Cinnamon w/ Chromium 2000mg/400mcg, Fish Oil 1290 mg/ 900 mg Omega-3
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

hi
    if i take met and milk i would definitely have watery stools until i think i pass out every thing.if i take milk with other food like for instance oats or bread, my stomach will rumble but no diarrhea...