Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Extreme Itching on labia majora

This is embarassing to talk about and probably TMI but I'm hoping to find out some info. For about the past 4 months I have had really bad itching down there on the labia majora (the skin that is covered in hair on the outside of the vagina.) No itching on the inside like a yeast infection would be, only on the outside. And it's not all over. It's only on the right side. At first it would happen just every once in a while but the past few weeks it has been itching horribly every day. I thought that maybe somehow a yeast infection could move to the outside skin so I used monistat on the area for seven days and it made no difference. I have also tried Vagisil and made no difference. Some of my pants that I wear to work were a little tight so I thought maybe that was causing it so I bought bigger pants a month ago and it didn't change the itching. I haven't noticed any bumps or anything down there. Just the extreme itching. I try not to scratch b/c it's such sensitive skin but it itches really bad overnight and I think I scratch it in my sleep and now it is so sore. I googled it and all these articles about vulva cancer came up and now that has me scared to death! Anyone experience this ever? My annual gyn appointment is in 6 weeks but I'm thinking about calling and trying to get an appt sooner b/c I am really stressed.
    Mom to 3 great kiddos!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leigha789 For This Useful Post:

Ah Bii (07-10-2013)

Thanks

I have had that -- that itching in the fold, usually on one side. Mine would rarely last for more than a day or so -- I'd make sure to wash well, and it would just go away on it's own. I never asked the doctor about it, because whenever I had an appointment I wouldn't remember, and I never noticed any discharge, bumps, lumps or anything else weird. I wasn't sexually active until after I had already experienced this, and when I got pregnant they tested me for just about everything as a matter of course, so I never thought it was some kind of STD. I just attributed it to some kind of dry skin. I occasionally get patches of something eczema-like on my body (usually at my face hairline or eyebrows) which will come often with a change in weather. You may have something similar in your other hairline.

However, if it's not going away and it's bothering you all the time -- get in to see your doctor before your appointment. I seriously doubt it's some kind of cancer, but let the doctor figure out what it is an hopefully they can give you something to make it better.

Also, how often/much do you shave/wax/Nair down there? Some of that stuff could be irritating the skin or you could have ingrowns or something.

Mom 2 Oops Whoops & Uh-Oh ~*Heart*~'s Avatar
    Thanks

I get that once in a while. It could be fungal (ya know...moist area and all). Usually what I do is wash and rinse really well, dry it well (use a hair dryer on the low setting if you have to), and put an antifungal cream on it (my OB suggested Lotrimin, but the Equate version is just as good). Usually starts clearing up after the first day.

Thanks

could you be allergic to something?? washing powder? or soap?
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Smile iching

I only wash that area with warm water, I do sometime have vaginal iching but only if I've used perfumed soap so I avoid it now. The vaginal area is suposed to be self cleaning anyway and I just take the usual precautions clean cotton undies etc. I work in health care and used to wear tights and did develop thrush as a result but I wear scrubs and tunic/trousers most of the time now so it's not happened for ages. I also wear G strings as well which are more comfy ( the air can circulate ) hope this helps!!!

Thanks

Default intense itch

have had itch on right outer labia majora for a year. INTENSE! almost always at night, and i have scratch until i bleed. there's just one spot that itchs and doesn't bother me much during the day. it does not come and go, it's just there! but, i can see nothing as far as lump, sore, or anything else. tried every cream, antifungal, even lice stuff!! asked doc about it at bi-annual checkup. dr. first thought it was a varicose vein right there, but after two treatments to get rid of that, it still itches. so, he took a biopsy. says he doesn't see anything, but the blue dye he tested with did stick to the area. he said that might be from the irritation there (from scratching) or it could be vulvalar cancer. waiting for the results of the biopsy, and browsing the web and found you. he doesn't seem to think it would be that cancer in that location, but he's checking. go get it checked!

Thanks

I had this as well, and to my surprise found out at an annual pap exam that it was in fact a yeast infection. I NO other signs of one so I was shocked. Treating it with a 3 day cream cleared it right up.
    Jules & Boca

Hidden Content
    All I can say is...ooops, we're having a Red Sox bebe!

Thanks

Red face The same thing

I have had the same problem for a while now, but it only seems to happen during ovulation and stays with me the full two weeks before I am meant to start my period. Once it starts it goes away (until next month!) I looked it up also, but did not get quite as scary results as you did. Your problem, as my own, could be caused from a PH imbalance. PH imbalance can cause over growth of even the good vaginal bacteria and cause problems. There are a couple things that can be done to help, that I know of. I tried the monistat and vagisil and neither seem to work. Today is my first day trying out a product called RepHresh. It is meant to balance out the PH levels in your body. Another thing I read can help is taking a baking soda bath. I know that if you are suffering with the same thing I have been, it is very painful (probably that over-night itching). I really hope this will help ease your mind. You are not alone in this, and if it keeps up the best thing to do would be to go to the doctors.

Thanks

aren't hormones wonderful hope you find a way to control your problem cause it's horrible being awakened at night with it.

my dr did a biopsy of one spot, and thankfully it came back negative for cancer. my itch is way outside of vagina.... close to the crease where my leg comes up. my dr prescribed some testosterone cream twice a week, with high cortizone cream the other nights. testosterone is what is prescribed for vulvalar cancer, and while not a miracle, it does seem be lessening the itch slowly. my itch (sounds so familial) was like a mosquito bite. two little pinpoint locales and the biopsy cut away one of them. so???? who knows...

good luck--

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sounds like an allergic reaction. I get that sometimes too if I wear pads. Baby powder helps to soothe the itch.

Thanks

UPDATE!

I decided to come back in and update this thread even though it's kind of old just so if anyone else is having this problem they can know what my problem actually was. My gyn ended up doing a biopsy on the spot that would not stop itching. Turns out I had something called squamous hyperplasia of the vulva. It's when the skin down there becomes thickened and irratated and EXTREMELY itchy and inflamed. It's not really caused by anything like soaps or the kind of underwear I wear or anything like that, it just comes from within. My doctor told me the only bad news is that it is something that's tough to get rid of. I had to use a heavy duty steroid cream twice a day for 3 months to get rid of it. Really after only about 2 weeks on the cream I felt totally better, but still used it the whole 3 months to make sure it didnt come back.
    Mom to 3 great kiddos!

Thanks

Wow. I thought I was the only one. Thesze symptoms are exactly what I ahve been experiencing for the past 6-8 months and it is driving me crazy.

I have seen so many doctors its not even funnY! they keep saying candida gie me a tablet and it doesnt work! then they say dont wear this dont do that.... nothing works! I have tried everything.

I know it is something more!

has any oen been diagnosed and/or been given a treatment that works! I need help urgently! I cant put up with ths for much longer its ruining my life... and my sex life! My Labia is constanyl inflamed red and painful becasue I have been itching it so bad.... and always at night time! The skin looks ruined around there and its only on one side. One side is significatnly more inflamed than the the other due to itching.

Fellow ladies any advice on this would be greatly and most appreciated!!!!

Any diagnosis I can bring up with my "Dr" would be great too....

Thanks

Sorry Leigh789 must have skipped past your post. Awesome! Shall see what I can do ! Thanks for coming back with info!

Thanks

I've had this before (I seem to pick up infections easily and heal slowly so I literally feel your pain). It's more common in overweight women (sweat, dead skin and bacteria get trapped in the folds) and women who are moist a lot (swimmers, athletes, women in humid environs etc)

Possible causes:
    Bacterial Infection (google Bacterial Vaginosis)
    Fungal Infection (think jock itch, ring worm etc)
    Allergic Reaction (anything from soap to food)
    Eczema and other skin conditions
    Viral Infections/STD's
    More serious conditions, like cancer though unlikely

The only way to know for sure is to see your gynecologist.

Suggestions for how to prevent it in the future:
    If you have allergies figure out what is triggering them. I'm allergic to just about everything so I only use unscented Dove soap and warm water. Consider your washing detergent, the cleaner you use on your tub, the brand of pads/tampons you use. They can all be causing an allergic reaction. I also have Celiac disease (an intolerance to glutinous grains like wheat/rye/barley/oats etc) and other food allergies. If I accidentally eat something I'm allergic to it can cause me to itch in all kinds of crazy places. If you suspect food allergies I start with the biggies (dairy, gluten, eggs, corn, soy, nuts) and try an exclusion diet.

Wear light, loose, soft clothing. Keep that area (an any place you stay moist like skin folds, underarms, the back of the neck etc) clean and dry. I air dry my whole body thoroughly after every shower before putting clothes on. Skip all the soaps, douches, perfumes, lotions, scented deodorants etc, especially in places likely to get irritated/wet. If you're menstruating you may need to change pads/tampons more frequently.

And most importantly, don't feel bad or embarrassed. It happens to just about everyone as some point and this is what your doctor is there for.

Thanks

Default Itching

I was bothered by labia majora itching (outer skin, especially on the ridge) for about 5 years and then retired and no longer wore panty hose and lost some weight and it went away. Then I gained the weight back after several years without itching and the itching came back (and I am still not wearing panty hose). I believe mine is related to pressure on the crotch area. When I have extra weight my pants are tighter in the crotch. I also experienced this itching when I had a period and wore a pad, again the pad caused pressure on the skin.

I went to my family doctor, several dermatologists and two OBGYNs and they had never heard of it. I hate to mention it anymore. It is embarassing and I think they don't understand. I just try to wear loose pants an am using mosturinzing cream. I don't know that the cream helps but I feel I am doing all I can and have considered liposuction to get rid of the stomach fat so that my pants are not so tight in the crotch. Of course, I would love to loose some weight to see if that works.

I am sorry you have it but until now I thought I was the only one.