Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Cinnamon can cause miscarriages

I'm confused why people are using Cinnamon for ttc. I know people can use Cinnamon to start af when it is late (3 tbs a day with milk for 3 days). But why are they using it to ttc? I'm just wondering. Here is a quick search result of what I found when it comes to Cinnamon...

-cinnamon in large doses has been known to trigger miscarriages.

-Contraindicated in therapeutic doses for pregnant women or individuals with wasting and dryness; because the herb is a potential uterine stimulant.

-Cinnamon (Cinnamon spp.) - large doses can be a uterine stimulant

- it is an abortive agent and can cause bleeding and premature birth. especialy in early pregnacy. Thats the main danger, it can also cause bleeding out of your menstral cycle or extra heavy bleeding because it effects the uterus.

-Abortive herbs, found to produce uterine contractions or traditional used to induce abortion in early pregnancy or to promote contractions during labor: black cohosh, blue cohosh, cotton root bark, golden seal, pennyroyal, shepherd's purse, cinnamon

-Emmenagogues, menstrual promoters to be avoided, especially in high doses, in early pregnancy and in those who are prone to miscarry: agave, aloe vera, angelica, asafoetida, basil, bethfoot, birthwort, black pepper, catnip, celery juice, chincona bark, cinnamon

- Plants are sold for their abortive properties, since they are known to cause menstruation, encourage contractions or prevent the implantation of an embryo. Among the plants mentioned are tree daisy (montanoa tormentosa) and rue (ruta graveolens), two plants prescribed alone or in association with others In this same country, Ehrenfeld writes that women use teas made from spices (cinnamon and oregano) occasionally mixed with chocolate, as well as tree daisy infusion.
    BFP thanks to soy!!
    Baby boy born Oct 17th 2008!
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As far as I know, people aren't taking it specifically to get pregnant, but the information you've posted is interesting.

Here's why most women here try it:

http://www.rxreview.info/columns/1.html

Thanks

I used this up to 7 weeks of pregnancy and I believe it helped me NOT miscarry due to balancing my hormone levels and blood sugar. Without it I was anovulatory. People also use it for gestational diabetes, and indian cultures eat it daily. I think the amounts they are talking about for abortion/stimulate labour is LOTS! Probably 10,000mg per day or something?

Then again it may not be worth the risk. I have emailed my herbalist I will wait for his response and paste it here, if anyone is interested.

I certainly am as I am 5 months pregnant and taking 1000mg per day to control my blood sugar.

Ill check in soon ladies
    Symptoms of PCOS since 12 years old

Hidden Content D1 Jasmin born June 2008 -conceived with inositol + hyponidd + vitamin D + Cinnamon
    Hidden Content DD2 Aliyah born November 2010 - conceived with licorice + peony + inositol + vitamin D

Thanks

Just wanted to add quickly that 1000mg is about 1/4 tea spoon and nothing near 3 table spoons so this may be the difference?
    Symptoms of PCOS since 12 years old

Hidden Content D1 Jasmin born June 2008 -conceived with inositol + hyponidd + vitamin D + Cinnamon
    Hidden Content DD2 Aliyah born November 2010 - conceived with licorice + peony + inositol + vitamin D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1981 View Post
    Just wanted to add quickly that 1000mg is about 1/4 tea spoon and nothing near 3 table spoons so this may be the difference?
    Ya that is a huge difference.
    BFP thanks to soy!!
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

wow, that is news to me, scary news too!!! I was told cinnamon is great if one has pcos and ttc, which I am both! I take 1000mg 3x a day along w/ metformin 1700mg daily. I started the cinnamon almost a month ago, I think I will drop my dose to 1000mg a day.
    Thanks for the info
    ShawneeHidden Content
    me 35Hidden Content dh 33
    pcos diagnosed 2004
    ttc naturally 2 yrs
    w/ meds 10 months
    HSG test Great!
    DH SA Great!

MEDS:
    850mg 2 x daily Metformin(4 mths)
    2000mg Flax Seed Oil(6 mths)
    2000mg Fish Oil w/ Omega (6 mths)
    Femara 7.5mg cd5-9(4 mths)
    400mc Folic Acid(9 mths)
    1000mg Vitamin B(5 mths)
    1000mg Cinnamon (off & on)
    3 Failed IUI'sHidden Content

Hidden Content finally getting our little bundle of joy

Thanks

you can take apple cider vinegar (with the 'mother')which does the same thing as Cinnamon without the side effects. It 2 tbs 3 time a day. To make it taste good you may need to mix it with 1 tbs of honey to 4 oz of water (thats what I did)
    BFP thanks to soy!!
    Hidden Content

We miss you, little bean. justagirlgirlgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

I took cinnamon while TTC to help balance my blood sugar levels. However, I cut back on it during each 2ww and then stopped it completely after my BFP at 10 DPO. I still use it as a spice on oatmeal, etc but not in large quantities.

I think that it really helped to stabilize my blood sugars and I will plan to use it again after the baby comes (although I'm not sure if it is recommended during nursing, so it might have to wait a little while).

Oh, and I agree about the apple cider vinegar. I actually blended cinnamon and the vinegar together with water sometimes.
    Nicole (34)+ DH (35) Married June 4, 2000
    DD - conceived after TTC for 2.5 years - Clomid (50) + IUI - arrived 10/17/08
    Hidden Content

DS - conceived naturally - surprise! - arrived 4/10/10
    Hidden Content

Missing two angels: 12/2006, 08/2011. Godspeed little ones.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks Ladies I will definitely try the apple vinegar, I haven't taken any cinnamon sense I posted on this thread
    ShawneeHidden Content
    me 35Hidden Content dh 33
    pcos diagnosed 2004
    ttc naturally 2 yrs
    w/ meds 10 months
    HSG test Great!
    DH SA Great!

MEDS:
    850mg 2 x daily Metformin(4 mths)
    2000mg Flax Seed Oil(6 mths)
    2000mg Fish Oil w/ Omega (6 mths)
    Femara 7.5mg cd5-9(4 mths)
    400mc Folic Acid(9 mths)
    1000mg Vitamin B(5 mths)
    1000mg Cinnamon (off & on)
    3 Failed IUI'sHidden Content

Hidden Content finally getting our little bundle of joy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justagirlgirlgirl View Post
    I think that it really helped to stabilize my blood sugars and I will plan to use it again after the baby comes (although I'm not sure if it is recommended during nursing, so it might have to wait a little while).
    Bookmark this website- Kellymom dot com. It's got a huge listing of medications and herbs and other substances and their compatibility with breastfeeding. If someone tells you that you can't take something while nursing, regardless of the initials behind their name, this website should be your first stop. It's the most comprehensive, evidence-based resource for moms and non-professionals that I know.

Her website says that cinnamon is safe for nursing mamas. I'd post a direct link, but I haven't yet gotten to the fifteen post minimum.
    Percy's Girl
    Wife to Hidden Content , mom to 5.5dd and 3.5ds and Percy theHidden Content
    Diagnosed 2001, lost 60 pounds, now skinny and still estrogen dominant! ARUGH!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by percysgirl View Post
    Bookmark this website- Kellymom dot com. It's got a huge listing of medications and herbs and other substances and their compatibility with breastfeeding. If someone tells you that you can't take something while nursing, regardless of the initials behind their name, this website should be your first stop. It's the most comprehensive, evidence-based resource for moms and non-professionals that I know.

Her website says that cinnamon is safe for nursing mamas. I'd post a direct link, but I haven't yet gotten to the fifteen post minimum.
    Here is a direct quote from this website:
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/herbs_c.html

Because its active ingredients may have an abortive effect, do not use during pregnancy
    BFP thanks to soy!!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Yes, but taking it while trying to conceive and taking it while pregnant are two different things. Cinnamon doesn't have last effects in the body, so if you discontinue it it's not a long-standing issue. And the miscarriage effect is dose dependant. And this website's focus is on nursing, not pregnancy.
    Percy's Girl
    Wife to Hidden Content , mom to 5.5dd and 3.5ds and Percy theHidden Content
    Diagnosed 2001, lost 60 pounds, now skinny and still estrogen dominant! ARUGH!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bella35 View Post
    Hello... question about the apple cider. Which brand, how much?

I currently take:
    2000 mg of Met (daily)
    1000 mg of Cinnamon (daily)
    75mg of Synthroid (daily)
    800 mg of Vitex (started this month on CD1)
    80mg of Soy (started yesterday CD3 and will continue until CD7) I was told to stop taking Vitex on the days that I take SOY
    This one: http://www.bragg.com/products/products.html
    and you take 1-2 tbs 3 times a day. For taste you can add one tbs organic honey to 4 oz of water
    BFP thanks to soy!!
    Hidden Content

We miss you, little bean. justagirlgirlgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

My doctor said to take the apple cider on an empty stomach about 10-15 minutes before each meal.

He also said that if I prefer, I can use it as a salad dressing on a leafy green salad and eat THAT before my main meal.
    Nicole (34)+ DH (35) Married June 4, 2000
    DD - conceived after TTC for 2.5 years - Clomid (50) + IUI - arrived 10/17/08
    Hidden Content

DS - conceived naturally - surprise! - arrived 4/10/10
    Hidden Content

Missing two angels: 12/2006, 08/2011. Godspeed little ones.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi ladies - I thought I O'd 20 days ago when I saw EWCM and when AF didnt arrive 17 days later I did a HPT 3 days ago and got BFN. I started temping yesterday. I now have no idea whether I even O'd or not this cycle but am on something like CD47 and want to invite AF to come and stay with me for a few days so I can start a new cycle......

Does anyone think I should try this 3 tblsp cinnamon in milk for 3 days thing? Or anything else? What about red raspberry leaf tea? What else can help trigger AF?

And what if by some slim chance I O'd really late and I could be in the 2WW? My chart is in my sig, I have been charting CM all cycle even though only started temping yesterday.

I have ordered EPO and soy isoflavones from the pharmacy for next cycle (I know to only take EPO from AF to O).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.