Thanks

Smile pcos and implanon

Hi. i have just been doing some reading, and discovered an article about pcos and implanon and how people with pcos shouldnt use the contraceptive implanon. Has anyone else ever heard of this, or had experiences using implanon or have any additional information for me? im a bit concerned as i have had it in for a few years, so if anyone has any information at all it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had implanon when it was new on the market. I hadn't been diagnosed with PCOS at that stage, but I am sure I still had it back then. I gained 10kg in 3 months (about 22 lb I think?) and that was without changing my diet at all. I didn't feel well, and got depressed, but who knows, that could have been cos of the weight gain. I would be interested in reading the article you found. Could you post a link please?
    Me Hidden Content : 34 DH Hidden Content :42
    DS1: 16 DS2: 14
    Diagnosed 2007
    Gave up trying for a baby after 6 losses...
    Surprise BFP! 7th time is the charm... We have a sticky bean!! Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

expecting FUR baby meow! guineapig's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm curious about this, too, as I'm about to start the minipill Cerazette...very very similar to Implanon. I just can't do the estrogen thing anymore...even the Ring failed me (not a "good" failure either--I mean my moods hit the roof). I did depo years ago which IMO caused my PCOS.

BelindaV, do you like the Implanon? Have you gained weight on it?
    My PCOS is acting up today....
    • allergy therapy x 7 years
    • finally had the Pillar procedure for the sleep apnea
    • 2 wonderful littl'ns thanks to d-chiro-inositol

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Thanks

i thought it was good, i have put on some weight with it, but it isnt much, that i know of anyway, as after i was diagnosed with pcos the doctor put me on stuff to lose weight and striaght after i had lost the weight she recommended implanon. i just find that trying to shift the weight is impossible, but is that the implanon, or the PCOS? hmmm.

the article i found was an abstract from a scientific journal, and so i coud only read a couple of sentences unless i can find the journal somehwere or i pay to read the whole thing online. all these sentences said was that it seemed as though implanon made the insulin resistence in PCOS sufferers worse. it also said in my little pcos book, that the author believes any form of contracpetion which restricts AF from having the opportunity to happen regularly is not a good idea for pcos sufferers as when implanon comes out, it could have already affected the AF cycle, making it harder again to become pregnant.

im very concerned that implanon may make it harder to fall pregnant when i have it removed, but i cant find info that proves what i read or disproves it....

expecting FUR baby meow! guineapig's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know...I hadn't read that the return to fertility with Implanon was unusual (like depo is forever...sources say 18-24 months, I say more like 8-10 years). As for IR, all birth control pills have progestins in some amount, and all have been proven to worsen IR, with the possible exception of Yasmin/YAZ...but the estrogen in them can change glucose tolerance even if the progestin doesn't.

Before spironolactone & my IUD, long before DCI and having DD, I just went hormone and drug-free, and my body attempted failed after failed ovulation with no progesterone produced. I got up to my heaviest weight (fatter than when I was pg!) and my asthma was out of control; so was my hairloss. Even Nuvaring did me better than that. If you don't ovulate naturally (or with met, etc) and produce that progesterone, you probably need something to protect your uterus from the big C at least. Estrogen unopposed (like from failed or absent ovulation) is not a good thing long-term.

Now if you ovulate or don't care, you might try an IUD. I had the copper one for 7 years. It doesn't do anything for weight or PCOS though, just birth control.
    My PCOS is acting up today....
    • allergy therapy x 7 years
    • finally had the Pillar procedure for the sleep apnea
    • 2 wonderful littl'ns thanks to d-chiro-inositol

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Thanks

Hi, I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS, however, I have implanon atm, I'm into my 3rd year of it, and am showing all the symptoms of PCOS, don't have an appointment till Friday to speak to my doctor about it, but I've been reading up on various chat rooms, and it seems a lot of women who didn't have PCOS prior to using implanon now do! I have 2 children, who were conceived without any complications so I am 100% sure I haven't had it prior to now, I'll keep you posted if I find out any more...

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BelindaV View Post
    Hi. i have just been doing some reading, and discovered an article about pcos and implanon and how people with pcos shouldnt use the contraceptive implanon. Has anyone else ever heard of this, or had experiences using implanon or have any additional information for me? im a bit concerned as i have had it in for a few years, so if anyone has any information at all it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I had the implanon in for the full 3 years and my periods were irregular during it. After I had it taken out, I had no periods what so ever so I made an appt at my doctors and asked about PCOS and he did a blood test. In July 2009 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was healthy and my periods were regular until I had it taken out. Im confused as I haven't heard this to happen to anyone else.