Registered User AboveTheExtreme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default vitamin that LOWERS testosterone levels

is there a vitamin that LOWERS testosterone levels... i really don't want to go back to the doctor (3 hour drive).. so i was wondering if there was a vitamin that you could buy to lower my levels.. and then once them got low i could take progesterone (isn't that a vitamin) to regulate my periods??... i've been up almost 24 hours.. can't sleep.. depressed.. and worried..

Thanks

Licorice root extract does, although that's not technically a vitamin. Also, vitamin D is supposed to help with hormone problems. Take about 4000 IUs, and make sure you also take some vitamin K2 and some vitamin A to balance it.

Thanks

you really need to do much more research before going on high dose vitamins, anything vastly beyond a multi or prenatal. the previous poster just quoted a level 4 times the common accepted highest safe dose of vit D and D is not something you just flush out what is extra like C.
    quoted from www.vitamins-supplements.org/

There is a high health risk associated with consuming too much vitamin D. Taking too much vitamin D (more than 1,000 IU daily) can cause a number of adverse effects including excessive thirst, metal taste, poor appetite, weight loss, bone pain, tiredness, sore eyes, itching skin, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, a need to urinate, and muscle problems.

and progesterone is a hormone, not a vitamin. there are some vitamins and herbs that can affect your progesterone. or progesterone can be taken as a supplement during specific times in your cycle depending on what your goals are. but remember that all your hormones work in balance and get whacked out together too. so as soon as you change one, you will likely cause a ripple effect that needs to be monitored.

i would talk to a good Endocrinologist before starting anything, or a very good naturalpath if that is your style. either way you will need to track your cycles closely, preferable with both temperature charting and timed blood tests.

good luck and i hope you get things figured out.
    In love with my Army HeroHidden Content & TTC #1Hidden Content

Thanks

Actually, vitamin D is technically a hormone, too, now, and according to my naturopath, if you are deficient, you should take a higher level of Vitamin D3. You can get it tested (ask your doctor for a blood test). Also, as long as you are also taking natural-source vitamin A (not retanyl palmitate), toxicity is not really an issue, accordung to the Weston Price Foundation. See http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html
    and
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/
    and
    http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2007/8-21-vitamind
    But really, mostly the main way to lower testosterone is to lower insulin levels, which you can research in the stickies section of the natural treatments forum. And yes, definitely monitor your vitamin D levels, especially if you're taking it and eating fortified foods too.
    You can get natural progesterone cream, which is a supplement, but I don't know if it has any effect on testosterone.
    Jen, 43, mama to C, February 03, TTC #2 three years married to Bill 1997
    5 annovulatory clomid cycles,
    1 Repronex cycle, BFN
    1 Repronex cycle, BFP, ds born in 2003
    1 soy cycle Dec 07-- BFN
    1 Clomid cycle Jan 08 - BFN
    1 cycle of Femara Feb 08 -- thin lining, cancelled IUI - BFN
    1 Follistim/IUI cycle March 08 -- BFP 3/26/08 M/C with D & C 4/19/08
    1 Follistim with IUI August 08 BFN
    1 IVF cycle, January 09, BFP 2/12/09!
    DD born 10/28/09

Hidden Content

the workaholic cyster irishangel's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

drinking 5 cups of spearmint tea a day helps lower testosterone. According to a turkish study and it's worked for me so far maybe you want to try that
    Nikki- 28
    PCOS, Fibromyalgia, ADHD,Type 2 Diabetic, Chronic Migraines, GERD, high blood pressure, asthma, anxiety and bi-polar,
    Meds:
    Glybouride 2.5mg,Depakote 2000mg,Visteral 50mg ,Lamectal 50mg, Geodon 40mg ,Clonidine .02 ,Prazosin 5mg

Registered User AboveTheExtreme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

spearment gives me headaches though.. im taking flaxseeds (putting them in my yogurt)

Thanks

It's not a vitamin, but I have had good results with licorice.

Thanks

Yeah, I've heard licorice does lower testosterone. But remember, if it's not DGL, it can raise your blood pressure over time. I actually took regular licorice to get my low blood pressure up, and it was working. It lowered my testosterone too much, though.

I wanted to add about the vitamin D: if you are supplementing, you want to make sure its the D3 version, not D2, which is definitely toxic in large amounts (the small amounts you get from eating plant foods are ok).
    Jen, 43, mama to C, February 03, TTC #2 three years married to Bill 1997
    5 annovulatory clomid cycles,
    1 Repronex cycle, BFN
    1 Repronex cycle, BFP, ds born in 2003
    1 soy cycle Dec 07-- BFN
    1 Clomid cycle Jan 08 - BFN
    1 cycle of Femara Feb 08 -- thin lining, cancelled IUI - BFN
    1 Follistim/IUI cycle March 08 -- BFP 3/26/08 M/C with D & C 4/19/08
    1 Follistim with IUI August 08 BFN
    1 IVF cycle, January 09, BFP 2/12/09!
    DD born 10/28/09

Hidden Content

Thanks

and according to my naturopath, if you are deficient, you should take a higher level of Vitamin D3.
    And there's the part that needs to be emphasized. Unless you get tested, please do not mega-dose on something based on the assumption that you're deficient. Always get checked out first.

And when giving advice, please remember that what is right for one person may not be right for another. Especially someone who does not know if she is vitamin D deficient.
    Dx 2002 after a year of my own research. That research and much prayer lead to our two blessings, born in 2004 and 2007. Hidden Content