Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Coarse White Chin Hair Solutions?

Does anyone have solutions for coarse white chin hair? I have many dark black coarse chin hairs that I hope will be treated with lasers, but I'm starting to get quite a few coarse white chin hairs too. I think it's all due to age (39) because without dye, I am about 40 to 50% gray. I hear that laser treatments don't work for white facial hair. Does anybody have any good solutions to slow down or eliminate those hairs? Thanks in advance

it's always something... beejcee's Avatar
    Thanks

Red face

hi --

i'm sorry to say that i have no great solution to offer you -- but i am having the same problem!

i am 45 and when i was younger i hated my dark facial hair -- i thought it couldn't get worse, but sad to say, it did.

my facial hair is now a combination of coarse white and downy peach fuzz-like hair. what makes it worse is that it seems to reflect light and to me it looks and feels so much more obvious than when i had the darker hair.

i totally agree with you that is has to do with age.... the changeover started when i turned 40. in the past year the gray hairs on my head have been sprouting like crazy.... thanks goodness for those boxes of hair dye at the grocery store!

i am going through premature menopause and so many things about my body have changed in the last five years....

my eyebrow hair is driving me crazy as well (since we're complaining!) i have naturally dark brows and eyelashes and dark blonde hair. those pesky coarse white hairs and showing up in my eyebrows making them look like they are disappearing. especially in photographs, it looks like my outer eyebrows have disappeared!

i guess it's always something with pcos.... i was always curious to see what would happen with pcso and menopause... so now i'm finding out.

sorry to hear you are in the same boat!

Thanks

you can consider electrolysis for the white hairs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poiball View Post
    Does anyone have solutions for coarse white chin hair?
    Plucking.

At least, that's what I do. They're bloody hard to get at because I can feel them but can't see them, but it's the only way I can get rid of them.

If it's because of age then I'm in trouble, because I'm only 27 and I've had them since I was a teenager. Sigh.
    "He that would live in peace and at ease, must not speak all he knows nor judge all he sees."

Thanks

Default Thanks for the Encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by beejcee View Post
    my eyebrow hair is driving me crazy as well (since we're complaining!) i have naturally dark brows and eyelashes and dark blonde hair. those pesky coarse white hairs and showing up in my eyebrows making them look like they are disappearing. especially in photographs, it looks like my outer eyebrows have disappeared!

sorry to hear you are in the same boat!
    Yikes, I haven't seen anything in my eyebrows yet. I'm afraid I'll look lik Santa Claus when those things start turning. I'll have to start dying them or trimming them so they don't stick straight out.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mireille View Post
    Plucking.

At least, that's what I do. They're bloody hard to get at because I can feel them but can't see them, but it's the only way I can get rid of them.
    That's exactly my problem. I can feel them but it's hard to see them. They start to poke through my skin and look like small pimples. I've got some OCD about pimples and can't resist messing with them. Then when I've tried to pop them I realize they are hairs and I'd opened up the skin. Then it's irritated, dry and flaky, and annoying. It would help if I worked on my OCD about pimples, but sometimes I just can't help trying to get rid of everything that I think should not be on my face! UGH - what I wouldn't give for perfect skin!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mireille View Post
    If it's because of age then I'm in trouble, because I'm only 27 and I've had them since I was a teenager. Sigh.
    Me too... I'm 22 and i have them!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me (28), DH (30)
    Diagnosed Aug 2005.

Symptoms: No periods, obese, excessive hair
    , acne
    Hidden Content
    Food and Nutrition and Economics Teacher
    Tracking calories & exercising - no gimmicks or diets!

Love my gym! Been at it for a year now!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beejcee View Post
    i am going through premature menopause and so many things about my body have changed in the last five years....
    The average age at menopause is 51 and anything from 40 upwards is not regarded as premature.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by februarystar View Post
    Me too... I'm 22 and i have them!
    Beard growth of coarse hair comes in at different ages in different women. Some never. A great many from about 40 onwards with perimenopause. A much smaller number from puberty onwards, especially when testosterone levels are high as in PCOS.

Thanks

I still have almost no greys anywhere else (about six of them on my head), but I've been getting the white chin hairs for a while. I'm of two minds on those... you can't see them like you can the black ones, but boy can you feel them. So if I'm feeling my face, the white ones make me nuts, but I hate looking at the black ones. I find the white ones easier to pluck, though, because I can get a good grip on those.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fleegle4 View Post
    I still have almost no greys anywhere else (about six of them on my head), but I've been getting the white chin hairs for a while. I'm of two minds on those... you can't see them like you can the black ones, but boy can you feel them. So if I'm feeling my face, the white ones make me nuts, but I hate looking at the black ones. I find the white ones easier to pluck, though, because I can get a good grip on those.
    Are the beard hairs you describe as "white" actually GREY or are they almost colorless or blonde?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joyblack View Post
    Are the beard hairs you describe as "white" actually GREY or are they almost colorless or blonde?
    Mine are perfectly white and I sometimes I would swear they are hollow. I feel like a polar bear because these little suckers are wirery. They aren't easy to see, but I can feel them all the time. If the light hits them right, BAM... I look like a albino porcupine.

These hairs have migrated to my neck and because they are so thick, coarse and wirery, they cause many ingrown hair problems. I'm constantly finding a new one that has to be eradicated.

When they are on my neck, however, occasionally they don't break the skin but seem to grow just under my skin until one day the whole hair is exposed and then I've got a 2" long wirery hair coming out of the middle of my neck.

What in the world causes this? Is it the antibiotics I took when I was 10 or the steroids I had to take getting over Mono? I wrack my brain over this on a regular basis.

Thanks

If you get a lighted 10X mirror and shine other lights on your face, you can see them to pluck. I use a halogen lamp and a normal incandescent desk lamp together.

I had laser done, and it just doesn't do anything to the white and light hairs. Mine are pure white. I have the coarse hair on my chin and few on my neck and upper lip. Some are very coarse, but I have also have tons fine hair that is kind of long all over my jawline and neck. Sometimes I shave with an electric razor. I pluck the coarse ones. I need to try electrolyis again. I tried it years ago and it didn't work at all. I just hate to invest the time to go have it done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JosieFB View Post
    I had laser done, and it just doesn't do anything to the white and light hairs. Mine are pure white. I have the coarse hair on my chin and few on my neck and upper lip. Some are very coarse, but I have also have tons fine hair that is kind of long all over my jawline and neck. Sometimes I shave with an electric razor. I pluck the coarse ones. I need to try electrolyis again. I tried it years ago and it didn't work at all. I just hate to invest the time to go have it done.
    It sounds very like the typical pattern for beard growth to begin in earnest -- coarse, wirey growth mixed with fine hair. I was asking about the color because the coarse moustache and beard hair often comes in almost colorless and later darkens (as opposed to being gray).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joyblack View Post
    The chin hairs are completely white/colorless. I was just trying to make the point that it doesn't necessarily go along with hair changes on the rest of the body. I do think it has to do with hormones, because I know plenty of older women without PCOS who have these things -- we all get them eventually.