Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Flaxseed: Can lower testosterone, regulate blood sugar, help with depression

Flaxseed and Wheat Germ - A dynamic Duo by Kurt W. Donsbach, D.C., N.D., Ph.D. excerpts taken from booklet

A word from the Author: I have been in the healing arts profession for forty-four years. My decision to become a natural healer was based upon a personal experience, one in which traditional medicine was unsuccessful but chiropractic and naturopathic medicine was ultimately successful. God has been good to me, allowing me to meet some of the most successful healers in the world and to share what I have learned with many, first through my school and later through the three hospitals which were founded under my direction. You are reading this because you have an interest in your health and I commend you.

I became interested in flaxseed primarily because of my work with cancer and the writings of a German physician who proposed that cancer cells cannot flourish in an environment rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The first thing I found out was that the most readily available form of omega-3 was flax oil capsules. Then I learned that it took 15 flax oil capsules to make one tablespoonful of flax oil. Then I learned that flax oil is only one of the many beneficial ingredients to be found in flax. Then I learned that milled flax is different from flax meal because the meal has the oil removed. Next was the fact that temperature has a great deal to do with the content of oil in flax and Canadian flax is, on the whole, a far more nutritious product than that grown in the U.S. You need the benefits of the whole flaxseed, freshly milled.

Got that sinking feeling? Try flax seed - the oil it contains combats depression. A recent British study demonstrated that omega-3 fats reduce even severe forms of depression by normalizing brain chemistry! " This really does represent a breakthrough in the managing of individual depressions," declared the study's coauthor, Dr. Alexandra Richardson. "We really seem to be looking at a crisis here and it's all in the diet," said Dr. Richardson, senior neuroscience research fellow at the University of Oxford in England. "Increasing the intake of omega-3 fats offers no side effects, only nice cosmetic ones such as shiny hair, strong nails and healthy looking skin."

Ground Flaxseed Improves Blood Sugar Levels Ground flaxseed may help to regulate blood glucose levels, especially when incorporated into certain foods which have a relatively high glycemic response, such as bread, according to new research. Study author Sarah Booth notes that "it has been suggested that flaxseed may help to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer due to it's relatively high concentration of both alpha-linolenic acid and non-starchy polysaccharides." When 15 healthy women were tested eating scones containing flaxseeds or just regular scones with white flour, it was determined that there was a significant difference between the rising blood glucose values following consumption of the flaxseed scone in comparison with the white flour scone. The flaxseed scone produced a much more gradual rise in blood glucose. This modulation of the blood sugar can be very significant for diabetics and those who suffer from hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.

Flaxseed and Heart Disease Flaxseed is now gaining considerable attention as a food for its possible role in lowering the risk of heart disease. As an excellent source of alpha-linolenic acid, and omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed is currently being investigated for possible heart health benefits. Research has suggested that the omega-3 fatty acids specifically found in fish reduce total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol and triglyceride levels. The omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed are not identical to those found in fish, but the body converts them to the same ones. In addition to its omega-3 fatty acid content flaxseed contains significant amounts of soluble fiber, mainly in form of mucilage gum. This is similar to the fiber found in oat bran and pectin, both of which are known to lower blood cholesterol levels. As a side benefit, these mucilaginous gums assist the entire digestive tract to move along smoothly, preventing fermentation, putrefaction and constipation.

Flaxseed and Cancer Researchers at the University of Toronto are testing flaxseed on women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. They have found that flaxseed is a potent source of lignans, which are plant compounds that may interfere with the development of breast cancer by binding with estrogen and reducing its stimulatory effect on cancer cells. Flaxseed contains up to 800 times as much lignans as other foods.

During the study (remember these women had been diagnosed with breast cancer) the women consumed a minimum of 25 grams of freshly ground flaxseed. Several biomarkers, including the rate of tumor growth, were checked to determine any changes that may be linked to lignan ingestion. Although the study is not complete, there has been several indications that the flaxseed supplemented women had a slower cancer growth and decreased blood cancer markers (an indication of less cancer activity).

In a study reported on WebMD "the investigators found that flaxseed oil's ability to reduce tumor growth is comparable to tamoxifen." In another study at Duke University Medical Center on prostate cancer, it was determined that the lignans found in flaxseed bind the androgenic hormones which stimulate prostate cancer. The men were on a flaxseed-supplemented diet for an average of 34 days. Ground flaxseed which had been vacuum-packed was used because of the tendency to go rancid so quickly. The men were instructed to sprinkle 3 rounded tablespoons of the flax on their cereal or mix it into juices, yogurt or applesauce. Researchers reported good compliance and said it was tolerated well because the taste was pleasant.

At the end of the one month study, the researchers reported that the men had significant decreases in cholesterol, total testosterone and free testosterone. While there was a decrease in testosterone levels, they noted that none of the participants in the study suffered decreased libido or sexual dysfunction. There was also a decrease in PSA scores for those with relatively early stage cancer. Even during this short period (34 days) it was noted that there were lower cancer cell proliferation rates and significantly higher rates of apoptotic cell death (cancer cell suicide).

Source: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=5&gl=us

Thanks

Good to know that it won't mess with the libido! I've been through enough of that!
    Diagnosed 10+ yrs ago; Weight always a struggle
    Began ortho tricyclen & spiro
    Blood clot 2/03; blood thinner for a year; left me with thrombophlebitis
    Healthy eater & active; No meds since 9/07

Currently: Multivitamin (GNC);Coral Calcium (for IBS); Super B Complex; Flaxseed Oil 1000/day, Baby Aspirin

A FitCysters Addict! Down 40! Hidden Content
    And in the best shape of my life!

Registered User AboveTheExtreme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

i want to try this flaxseed oil stuff bit i dont know if i should do the capsules.. that way i know exactly how much is going into my system and then if it doesn't seem to do enough then i know just to up the doage some.. or if i'd be better taking the oil..

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AboveTheExtreme View Post
    i want to try this flaxseed oil stuff bit i dont know if i should do the capsules.. that way i know exactly how much is going into my system and then if it doesn't seem to do enough then i know just to up the doage some.. or if i'd be better taking the oil..
    for lowering testosterone you do not want flax OIL...you want 'ground flaxseed'

Ground flaxseed which had been vacuum-packed was used because of the tendency to go rancid so quickly. The men were instructed to sprinkle 3 rounded tablespoons of the flax on their cereal or mix it into juices, yogurt or applesauce. Researchers reported good compliance and said it was tolerated well because the taste was pleasant.

At the end of the one month study, the researchers reported that the men had significant decreases in cholesterol, total testosterone and free testosterone. While there was a decrease in testosterone levels,

Thanks
    Blog Entries

now i have another question for you lol.. actually a few...

--can i keep some of the capsules in my purse
    --for lowering my testosterone levels i'd rather take the capsules that way i know exactly how much im taking in
    --if i get the seeds .. and ground them up at home or buy them already ground up .. can i store them in my purse for when im out and about.. like if i go out to eat i can sprinkle some on my food..??

Thanks
    Blog Entries

--can i keep some of the capsules in my purse

Flaxseed/meal doesn't come in capsules (that I know of), and if it does, it's rancid.

--for lowering my testosterone levels i'd rather take the capsules that way i know exactly how much im taking in

No, you don't want capsules. Grind it, and dose it out by the teaspoon, as detailed in the study.

--if i get the seeds .. and ground them up at home or buy them already ground up .. can i store them in my purse for when im out and about.. like if i go out to eat i can sprinkle some on my food..??

Take only as much as you need for the day...keep the rest in the freezer. But for breakfast and dinner, you should be ok at home. Sprinkle on yogurt, cereal, in smoothies, on salads, etc...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

alrightie!! thanks a bunch.. i'm not on any medication right now and i figure this was probably the easiest way to go for right now..

Thanks

Thanks for the info!

I got a decent size bag of organic ground flax seed at The Vitamin Shoppe for $5.99...had it this morning in my yogurt...you can't even taste it!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KatCarney View Post
    "Increasing the intake of omega-3 fats offers no side effects, only nice cosmetic ones such as shiny hair, strong nails and healthy looking skin."
    OMG, a month ago I started adding flax to my meals again for more getting more fiber...my nails are growing SO FAST it's almost annoying. I'm having to file them every other day.

My hair also grew nearly 1/2 an inch, too! (I color my hair, so I can easily measure the growth by looking at the gray roots.)

Thanks

Default Re:

What about flaxseed oil?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hreshtag View Post
    What about flaxseed oil?
    It has it's benefits - for sure, but in many cases, you're not getting the lignans with 'just' the oil. And you're not getting the fiber, either.

check out this thread: http://www.soulcysters.net/flax-oil-worked-me-222185/

(Start from the LAST post...)

Registered User blueindiangoddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Flax or fish oil

KAt, First of all you are my hero.. thanks for the awesome information. Secondly, I have been taking a very high quality omega 3-6-9 twice a day (Nordic naturals, fish oil) would that be the same as getting the omegas in Flax or do the plant lignans function differently on the testosterone level??

Registered User blueindiangoddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Duh

Quote Originally Posted by blueindiangoddess View Post
    KAt, First of all you are my hero.. thanks for the awesome information. Secondly, I have been taking a very high quality omega 3-6-9 twice a day (Nordic naturals, fish oil) would that be the same as getting the omegas in Flax or do the plant lignans function differently on the testosterone level??

In another study at Duke University Medical Center on prostate cancer, it was determined that the lignans found in flaxseed bind the androgenic hormones which stimulate prostate cancer.

Okay duh I just answered my own question, but thought I'd put it up for others

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatCarney View Post
    During the study (remember these women had been diagnosed with breast cancer) the women consumed a minimum of 25 grams of freshly ground flaxseed... Although the study is not complete, there has been several indications that the flaxseed supplemented women had a slower cancer growth and decreased blood cancer markers (an indication of less cancer activity).

In a study reported on WebMD "the investigators found that flaxseed oil's ability to reduce tumor growth is comparable to tamoxifen."
    Wow, that is incredible. I wonder if this can help with fibrocystic breasts which I have. I've been taking the flax for 2-3 weeks now, will update if any changes.
    Me - 29
    DH - 32
    TTC #1 - 6 yrs (w/no meds)
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueindiangoddess View Post
    Okay duh I just answered my own question...
    yep

I use a combination of both fish oil and flax meal. I'm not on any meds so I don't worry about interactions. If you're on any meds or ttc, be sure to clear what you're taking with your doctor.