Thanks

Default MTHFR mutation and twin pregnancy

Hi, I've been a member for several years but don't post often. My sistuation is a little different than most but I find the best information on this web site. You girls are amazing with all you know. I have PCOS but it is under control and I take met and levoxly dailly. No spiro cause I'm pregnant. Here's the twist I'm pregnant with surrogate twins. I have 4 children of my own and have had one other surrogate child. This time the Reproductive Endo tested me for the mutation even though I have never had a miscarriage and I came up potitive. I'm only 6 weeks along and on lovenox, baby asprin and folguard. I go to my OB on Monday and need help with what to expect. Will I be on the blood thinners the whole pregnancy? What are the concerns with twins. When does the risk of miscarriage go down, 12 weeks or not till delivery. Any help or info would be great!
    Thanks, Suzanne

Thankful pin-cushion! Hjackson719's Avatar
    Thanks

First of all- I think it's amazing you're being a surrogate. Kudos to you!

Secondly- I have an MTHFR mutation but have only carried singleton pregnancies, so take this for what it's worth. I was on daily shots of Lovenox until roughly 34 weeks with my DS and am following that same game plan this time around. My goal was to be on it for as long as possible without endangering myself or my child if I went into labor early. Your doc may take you off it earlier in your pregnancy since twins tend to come early anyhow. The doc's don't like you being on it too close to your delievery date to ensure your blood can clot properly (and not be too thin) when you do give birth. While a pain in the butt, I quickly got used to the shots and don't give them a second thought (unless I bleed when I give myself a shot and stain a shirt- then I'm ticked ).

As for the baby asprin, thanks to MTHFR, I'll be taking one of those daily for life to prevent blood clots.

Best of luck- hope that helped!
    TTC since Jan '03
    PCOS dx in Jan '04
    M/C 1: May '04
    M/C 2: Feb '05
    M/C 3: July '05
    Dx with MTHFR and ANA
    Hidden Content Miracle #1: 05/06 | Miracle #2: 07/08 Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 487 Posts

I have MTHFR and am pregnant with twins...

I have had 3 m/c but don't feel the MTHFR was a factor... I am not even sure I think the MTHFR is a huge cause for alarm. In my case I am told it is not a problem because my homocysteine levels are normal and that is what you need to worry about, not whether or not you have MTHFR - who knows. I was taking baby aspirin and folgard when i got pregnant but my doctors were not on board with the blood thinning shots for my situation - which ticked me off at the time when I wanted to try EVERYTHING I could - but I'm 31+ weeks here and doing fine so I guess it wasn't needed.

I haven't even been taking the baby aspirin in a long time so not being on that hasn't mattered, either. (I had tons and tons of bleeding early in this pregnancy, which started as triplets, and feared the aspirin wasn't helping there...)

I would say that given you have had 5 pregnancies and no m/c ... I wouldn't worry too much. I really think a lot of women have m/c AND have MTHFR but that doesn't mean they have the m/c because of the MTHFR. In most cases we have no idea why the m/c occurred (although in my case i think bad egg quality was to blame each time...)

Good luck
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 02-28-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks

Runnerduck - sounds like we have about the same thing. I have one mutation and my homocysteine levels are fine.

Shots were never even discussed. I asked and my doc about yelled at me. He's like if you need shots I'll telll you! haha.

I dont even take asprin. Just the folgard

Have you talked to your docs about BC methods after birth?? I asked the 'younger' doc. (not the one who diagnosed my mthfr) and he's like 'well if it was up to me, I'd let you take BC cuz your very low risk. but if you ask dr levine (the one who diagnosed me) he'd say no"

I have a lil bit to think about it yet but I'm allergic to condoms... and I'm not sure what other options there are besides the pill.
    Dx: Feb 07 IR and PCOS
    Meds: acidophilus, vitamins, Folgard, celexa, metformin

8/10/07 - Dx with Thrombophilia, MTHFR

Married to my wonderful Hubby since 10/18/03 Hidden Content

Elias Frank born 3/9/08 Hidden Content

Thanks

Default Thank you

Thank you for youe responses! I don't know if I've had my homocysteine levels checked but I would expect I have. Several years ago when I had my cholesteral checked I was told to start taking baby asprin dailly due to something in my blood being elevated, so it sounds possibe. But since my tubes are tied my Gyn. wasn't worried about miscarriage. So it is possible that they will keep me on the blood thinners till shortly before delivery. And to add to the complications they keep rememiding me I'm OLD!! I will turn 42 next month so I guess they think I'm high risk anyway. Mind you before I was accepted for the surrogacy I was completly checked out including a cardiac stress test with an ultrasound of my heart and passed everything easily so it should be fine I just wish I was taller!

Hjackson719- your right the shots aren't to bad, it was more the thought of giving myself a shot in the tummy. But I also have to do IM shots in my butt each night for the surrogacy since all my hormones were surpressed to match me to the genetic mother.

RunnerDuck- Congrats on 31+ weeks with twins. Any words of wisdom? Since I'm only five foot one I expect to be pretty uncomfortable. Are you still pretty active? Or do they have you on bedrest due to your early bleed. Sorry about the triplet.

tshaffpa33- When I was done having my kids I searched for a birth control that was not hormone based cause my system was finally working right. I ended up going with an IUD. It was easy and convientand I think for most people dependable but it lead to my four child for me. I just could never remember to take the pill when I was on it!

THANKS AGAIN ! I think with a little research now I will have a clue when I go to the doc on Mon. I'll be just short of 7 weeks then so we are doing an ultrasound to confirm heartbeats and to make sure no more embryos decided to try to hang on too!

Suzanne