Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mum to Lily and Natasha LeeDawson's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up 5 Myths about PCOS

There are a lot of myths surrounding PCOS, and I thought I would set the record straight on a few of them......

MYTH 1: If you are overweight you will just have to put up with it because there is nothing you can do.

WRONG! If you have PCOS and you are overweight, it can be more challenging to lose weight than the 'average' person, but it is certainly not impossible. The only way you will lose weight and keep it off is by dealing with the underlying factors that cause you to hold onto fat. Fat will not be burned when insulin levels are high, so you need to target insulin resistance by following a low GI diet, doing regular aerobic and resistance exercise every 2 days, maximising your sleep, and taking nutritional supplements. A multivitamin is a good place to start, but insulin resistant people need more magnesium, chromium, and B vitamins as well. If you are taking metformin you should supplement with a multivitamin and separate vitamin B12 tablet. A naturopath can also prescribe you a herbal formula to target insulin resistance.

MYTH 2: If you have PCOS you won't be able to have kids without the help of IVF.

WRONG! Although having PCOS can make it difficult to conceive, and IVF has helped many women with PCOS to become mothers, it is not the only option for you. There are also many women who have conceived with less invasive treatments, and some even just with natural treatments. With PCOS, ovulation does not always occur regularly, so the first step is to determine if you are ovulating which you can do via blood tests, daily temperature testing, and/or ovulation detector kits (although these may not be 100% accurate for PCOS). If you are, great! it's a matter of getting the timing right for conception. If not, seek help with naturally stimulating ovulation. Losing 5% of body fat can help restore ovulation, as can reducing stress, dealing with nutritional deficiencies, and restoring hormonal balance with herbal medicine and/or acupuncture. You can still have PCOS and be a mother!

MYTH 3: PCOS is only a real concern if you are trying to conceive.

WRONG! For many women, trying to conceive is the biggest concern they have with PCOS, but PCOS brings with it many other concerns that can be just as challenging. The effect that PCOS has on a woman's femininity and self esteem cannot be underestimated. Depression can be a real consequence of this an should be taken seriously. The physical issues that occur with PCOS such as excess hair, hair loss, weight gain, and acne can cause a ot of distress and are sometimes dismissed by health professionals as being only a cosmetic problem, when in fact they are a consequence of more serious underlying imbalances. Insulin resistance is a major health concern underlying many PCOS symptoms and should be dealt with as early as possible, to prevent the risk of diabetes. If your symptoms are being dismissed as minor, when you know they are affecting your quality of life... find a new health professional who will take you seriously. It is your right to have a supportive health guide who will not judge or dismiss you.

MYTH 4: PCOS goes away after menopause, or a hysterectomy will fix all my problems.

WRONG! After menopause, a lot of changes occur. Some of your PCOS symptoms may subside such as period problems obviously, but the underlying metabolic causes of PCOS will still be there. Menopause will not cure your PCOS, although it will affect you differently. You may still experience excess hair and acne, weight gain, and sugar cravings. Although the name of the syndrome implies an ovarian basis, cystic ovaries are really just another one of the possible symptoms that you can experience. Don't be fooled into thinking a hysterectomy will fix all your problems either. As with menopause, it will stop period problems, but it wont stop the other symptoms. After menopause or a hysterectomy, you are more at risk of weight gain, osteoporosis, hot flushes, and cardiovascular disease. PCOS is a whole body condition that requires a more 'holistic approach'.

MYTH 5: The oral contraceptive pill will 'regulate' my cycle.

SOUNDS RIGHT, BUT IS TECHNICALLY WRONG! Taking the pill will provide your body with artificial hormones to simulate what a normal cycle is supposed to be. It gives you a period regularly which can prevent the lining of the uterus from building up which is beneficial, and it is also a good contraceptive, and can reduce symptoms such as acne and axcess hair. BUT, most pills actually make insulin resistance WORSE! Why take something that is going to stimulate one of the main factors contributing to your symptoms? The pill may also increase the development of atherosclerosis, a process that leads to heart disease in which PCOS women are more at risk of. So, the pill is not really regulating your cycle because it is not allowing your body to do the work, it is doing the work for your body. A regulated cycle is one that is occurring regularly of it's own accord.

www.poweroverpcos.com

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LeeDawson For This Useful Post:

Amber W. (11-20-2012),callan1981 (08-23-2012),Dawn* (09-15-2012),De25ta (02-10-2014),Maayen (07-09-2011),mdudley (11-21-2013),soulcyster.indeed (04-07-2012)

Registered User only4some1special's Avatar
    Thanks

good post! really helpful, thanks for posting

anna
    Hidden Content Married 7th Jan. 2006Hidden Content

TTC #1
    diagnosed with PCOS april 2007
    taking medication met. glucophage 2000mg (4X500mg) ( not taking it anymore from 21st of May 2008 )
    folic acid 1mg (not taking it anymore)
    started medication in june 2007

prenatal vitamin pregvit 12th feb. 2008

Got BFP on fri, 8th Feb., 2008!

Due date 3rd oct., 2008

Baby boy on 6th oct.2008

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks Lee for the great post. However i do have a question. You say that taking an ocp to regulate my cycle is a myth. So where should i go from here. I'm on Met 1000mg /day and i've been on it for almost 2 years and no AF. I got my first AF in over 2yrs by taking Prometrium. However my flow was normal. Not heavy at all (i was expecting a blood bath since i thought i was storing up for 2 yrs). I'm low carbing for 3 weeks now and i've lost 23lbs since january. My insurance will be up on saturday so i'm kind of at a loss for what to do. My primary MD referred me to my Endo who was TERRIBLE so i only go to get refills for my met. I'm kinda lost as to what to do now. If anyone can help it will be much appreciated.
    I do this for me! To LIVE a healthy, happy, fulfilled life!

Dx PCOS: 04/06
    Dx IR: 06/06

SW: 205
    CW: 155
    GW: 130Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FairLady23 View Post
    Thanks Lee for the great post. However i do have a question. You say that taking an ocp to regulate my cycle is a myth. So where should i go from here. I'm on Met 1000mg /day and i've been on it for almost 2 years and no AF. I got my first AF in over 2yrs by taking Prometrium. However my flow was normal. Not heavy at all (i was expecting a blood bath since i thought i was storing up for 2 yrs). I'm low carbing for 3 weeks now and i've lost 23lbs since january. My insurance will be up on saturday so i'm kind of at a loss for what to do. My primary MD referred me to my Endo who was TERRIBLE so i only go to get refills for my met. I'm kinda lost as to what to do now. If anyone can help it will be much appreciated.
    First I would be going to another dr! There is lots of questions people do have when they just get diagnosed and they are so confused!

Find out as much info as you can! Research!! http://www.soulcysters.com/symptoms.html

I will try to help as much as I can! Im no dr but I will go searching and see what I believe will help u!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FairLady23 View Post
    For my AFs to come regularly (every 38-40 days for me is regular) I had to be on 2500mg of met. Increasing the met may help, but I would see another OB. Or an Reproductive Endocrinologist (they helped me much more with my PCOS then the regular Endo did).
    Come check us out at FriendlyMommas.com

Thanks

thanks sarah!

Thanks

Thank you so much sarah and lee! I think i was having one of those pcos days where your symptoms try to get the best of you. I think i will some more natural methods if i cannot get a refill on my met. My only symptoms that i want treatment for is the amenorhea and the weight (which i'm combating with diet and exercise). So i think i will try the cinnamon and NPC or parsley tea. Thanks ladies!

Thanks

i think we all have those kinds of days!

I am still looking for you! I havent forgotten

Thanks

wow, I had no idea that BCP could make insulin resistance worse!
    Previously on Met, currently on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Spiro, and cinnamon

Thanks

Very insightful!!!!!
    Me: (Yolanda 29)
    DH: (Darryl 31)
    Together since Feb.97 Hidden Content Married Dec.03
    Angel baby Hidden Content Hidden Content (D'Yarri 07-17-07)
    M/C - 07/25/08

Rx
    Synthroid - 0.025mg
    Metformin ER - 2000mg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDawson View Post
    i think we all have those kinds of days!

I am still looking for you! I havent forgotten

Thanks Lee! i really appreciate it!

Thanks

Thanks

here is another site saying about the myths too
    http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.a...ths_about_pcos