Thanks

Default Threatened miscarriage - Is there hope?

I am just about 11 weeks and this morning, without any warning, I got up as usual and after my shower I sat down and there was a big gush of blood. I went to the bathroom and there was more blood, with a few clots and some sharp pain on my right side. We went to the ER and I had a pelvic exam. She told me that I was having a threatened miscarriage, that my cervix is closed, the clots came from the pooling of blood in the vagina and not from the uterus and there is a trickle of blood coming from the cervix. I have to wait until late this afternoon for my ultrasound. Meanwhile, the pain has gone and the bleeding has stopped. I still have all of my pregnancy symptoms, nausea, sore boobs, etc. I guess I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this and what happened. I am not in denial, I know the odds aren't good, so I'm not afraid of good or bad posts. I had a missed miscarriage in October, but this is totally different.

Mommy to 2 beautiful kids Holdensmom's Avatar
    Thanks

Without an u/s I don't know how they could tell you what it is? Sounds like it could be a subchorionic hemorrhage. I know it's really hard, but try to relax till the u/s and keep us posted.
    Liz (32) and Jason (30) Married since 01/07/1999

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

They call it a threatened miscarriage anytime there is reason to believe your symptoms "could" be a miscarriage.

I have had that diagnosis twice this pregnancy. The first time was 6 or 7 weeks I had bleeding and cramping. (not as much blood as you describe). Then at 16 weeks I had labor pains. Everything looked normal, but with the pains, they diagnosed threatened miscarriage.

It sounds like a subchrionic hemmorhage like Liz said. I hope everything is ok with you and your baby. Please keep us updated.
    Come check us out at FriendlyMommas.com

Thanks

I had a threatened miscarriage at 6 weeks too and am now almost full term so yes there is hope ..Good luck!

Thanks

Hi,

I had a threatened misscarraige almost as soon as I found out I was PG and have spotted on a monthly basis since then. I am now 30 weeks PG. I think they basically call any episode of early bleeding a threatened misscarraige. The fact the pain and bleeding has stopped and that your cervix is closed are all good signs.

I hope things work out for you - keep us posted, big hugs, x x x
    Dx May 2007
    DD born June 2008 - natural conception following weight loss!!
    SAHM waiting to TTC #2

Thanks

My threatened miscarriage is now almost 3 years old. Anytime there is bleeding in early pg, they give the diagnosis "threatened miscarriage". My first pg ended in a missed m/c at 11 weeks. My second pg, I started bleeding heavily (bright red blood) at 11 weeks on the nose. I went in and an u/s showed a beating heart, but they still gave me the dx of threatened m/c. I contineud to have bouts of bleeding (bright red) until about 20 weeks -turns out my placenta was low-lying and that was the cause of all the blood.
    Jessica

TTC #1 for 15 months
    m/c July 2004
    DS May 2005

TTC #2 for 10 months
    m/c Feb 2007
    DD Nov. 2007

Thanks

Thanks ladies for all the info and support. I got the results of the ultrasound and baby is fine. There was a small blood clot behind the placenta that caused the bleeding. The radiologist said it was so small that I don't even need to come back for a repeat ultrasound to check on it. Doctor said the bleeding should taper off over the next couple of days and not to spend too much time on my feet. It was one of the most frightening days of my life. I thought for sure the baby was gone like last time. When the nurse came in and asked me if I was still bleeding and I said yes and she shook her head and said baby was fine, I burst into tears. I think she thought I was crazy, but I had honestly convinced myself that I had lost the baby so it was a complete relief. Anyways, thanks so much again.

Noah and Keltie's mum!! deb_e_deb26's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sorry you are having this troubles...my threatened m/c have just turned 2! I had a bad bright red bleed, with mild period like cramps at nearly 11 weeks..i bleed on and off for around 12 hours and then it stopped and I had brown blood on and off for around 3 weeks.....

At our u/s at the hospital I was actually told we lost a baby, I was devastated, and then repeated back to the tech " so thats what happened, I lost one" and he then said " didnt you already loose one, and you had IVF?"... I was like NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! then I saw 2 little beating hearts on the screen! They had me mixed up with someone else! It was the saddest and happiest 30 seconds of my life!!

Rest up and I send some prayers up that everything turns out great! There certainly is hope that all will be ok!!

All the best!
    Debbie(35) Patrick(31)
    Boy/girl twins born March 10th 2006.
    Noah Patrick 6lb 6ozs
    Keltie Rose 4lb 10ozs

Thanks

So glad to see that the baby is ok! Oh my.... how scary...
    ~~~Vanessa~~~
    Hidden Content DD-(1) Where does the time go!
    90 pounds lost! Hidden Content

Thanks

I am also glad to hear you and the baby are ok. Take it easy. Let DH pamper you. I hope the bleeding stops soon. When do you go to your OB for a follow up?
    Come check us out at FriendlyMommas.com

Mommy to 2 beautiful kids Holdensmom's Avatar
    Thanks

What a relief! I'm so glad that everything is fine!. Rest for a few days....
    Liz (32) and Jason (30) Married since 01/07/1999

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

So glad that the baby is fine. Sounds like the same thing I had earlier in this pregnancy...a subchioronic hemmorhage. It has resolved completely. From what my doctor told me, they are pretty common in the first trimester, and most of the time, once the baby survives the initial bleed, chance of m/c goes way down to normal pregnancy %s. Hang in there, it is definitely scary!
    Our Family is Blessed!!!!
    Elizabeth (26) Hidden Content Cory (30)
    Emma born Oct. 4th 2006
    Cole born July 28th 2008

Thanks

Thanks so much. I see my doctor for my next regular prenatal visit next Thursday. I am definitely going to take it easy. I'm only working half days tomorrow and Thursday so I can rest, and then after the weekend hopefully I'll be good to go. I still have a bit of bleeding when I go the bathroom, a few blood droplets in the toilet and when I wipe, but I guess I just have to have faith in the doctor that it will go away on it's own. I am emotionally exhausted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmalie2003 View Post
    Thanks ladies for all the info and support. I got the results of the ultrasound and baby is fine. There was a small blood clot behind the placenta that caused the bleeding. The radiologist said it was so small that I don't even need to come back for a repeat ultrasound to check on it. Doctor said the bleeding should taper off over the next couple of days and not to spend too much time on my feet. It was one of the most frightening days of my life. I thought for sure the baby was gone like last time. When the nurse came in and asked me if I was still bleeding and I said yes and she shook her head and said baby was fine, I burst into tears. I think she thought I was crazy, but I had honestly convinced myself that I had lost the baby so it was a complete relief. Anyways, thanks so much again.
    That is wonderful news!

Thanks

I am so glad that your baby is fine. I bled at 6 wks and after my HCG levels didn't double (I thought they should over 48 hrs), I prepared myself and went in for a D&C. The US showed a strong heartbeat. I remember my heart sinking and then I cried. I spotted for at least 3 weeks after that. I didn't inform any relatives or friends that I was pregnant, so I had no support. I know how scary this feels. The doctor told me to take it easy, but I basically confined myself to the recliner. Two weeks ago there was bright red spotting when I lifted a friend's toddler for a few minutes. So, please do avoid strenuous activity until you are in the clear. I wish you and your baby all the best.
    TTC #1 Jan 07; Chem. preg Jun 07
    1/14/08: BFP-no meds (diet, cinnamon, flax oil+castor oil from CD 6)
    1/18/08: Beta: 1157 (18dpo) Brown spotting; DX with Sub. Hypothyroid at 1st Endo visit
    1/22/08: Beta: 6000 no HB no fetal pole
    1/25/08: Beta: 13900 Red Blood-ER visit; US: no HB
    1/28/08: Beta 14100 feared miscarriage
    2/05/08: US: HB 128
    2/19/08: US: HB 160
    3/18/08: Nuchal test-ok; US: HB 170
    5/20/08: Level 2 U/S ok; It's a Girl!! EDD now Sept, 15; baby 4 days behind.
    orig. EDD: Sept. 25, 08