Thread: Goat's Rue

Thanks

Default Goat's Rue

I just now heard of it. Has anyone else heard of it? I looked it up, and it's sounds like it would be helpful for women like me, who are shall we say, less than well-endowed.

Thanks

goat's rue is supposed to be sort of a herbal Metformin. It has guanidine in it, which is the basis for the active ingredient in Metformin. I only recently heard of it as well. I think it's also supposed to increase prolactin. Farmers fed their livestock Goat's Rue in order to increase their milk production.

I found some information on Goat's Rue:
    Goat's Rue is one of those herbs we experimented with. We gave this herb to people we knew with diabetes. We also gave them Ampalaya (bitter melon) and Banaba. Of the three, Goat's Rue was the most effective at lowering blood sugar.

The recommended dosage is 2 capsules at each meal. Each individual will need to check their own blood sugar and alter their dosage accordingly. Some diabetics require more help than others and some foods cause more problems with sugar levels.

One thing is for sure, Goat's Rue is effective at lowering a persons blood sugar..

The PDR for herbal medicines says it is galegin in the herbal part of Goat's Rue that effects blood sugar levels.

Some research has shown that Goat's Rue effects how quickly the glucose gets into the blood stream. Under normal conditions, any carbohydrates eaten ,whether simple or complex are turned into glucose and quickly absorbed into the blood stream. This creates a "sugar spike" in the blood which in a non-diabetic person would create a subsequent insulin spike to take care of the glucose and get it into the cells or storage. However, since a diabetic person can't get the system to work properly, they have a high sugar level for a prolonged period of time. Well, if the glucose uptake is slowed down, for example if a person eats a fat or a protein along with a little carbohydrate, then the glucose does not rush into the blood stream, but rather it enters the blood stream much slower. This is easier for the body to handle.

The unit of measure for telling us how quickly a food will digest and get glucose into the blood stream is called a glycemic index. The higher the glycemic index and larger the sugar spike in the blood and the worse the foods are for a diabetic. Therefore, diabetics should concentrate on eating low glycemic index foods. These are mostly low carbohydrate foods, fats and proteins.

Apparently one of the ways in which Goat's Rue works is by slowing the uptake of glucose into the system. In addition, goat's rue seems to lower glucose levels, even if a person is not eating. Unfortunately, researchers do not know the mechanism by which this takes place.

To make a tea use 1-2 teaspoons per quart of boiling water. Just add the herb to the quart jar and pour in boiling water. Let steep 20 minutes and strain. You can drink this tea with meals or in-between if you are experiencing a high sugar level in your blood.
    For capsules begin by taking 2 per meal and alter this according to your diet and specific needs.
    (from http://www.regaininghealthnaturally....Diabetes.shtml)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arcticslug For This Useful Post:

Dhan Prem (01-09-2012)

Thanks

Default Goat's Rue

I'm already taking Metformin, so should I take the Goat's Rue too, or forget about it? Thanks!

Thanks

I'm no doctor but I wouldn't take it if you are already taking Metformin. It might be too much Met at one time, resulting in side effects.

Thanks

Yea - That's what I was thinking. Thanks for your input!