Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default ARTICLE: Effect of FOLIC ACID in PCOS women with and without insulin resistance

Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008 May

Effect of folic acid in women with and without insulin resistance who have hyperhomocysteinemic polycystic ovary syndrome.

Kazerooni T, Asadi N, Dehbashi S, Zolghadri J.
    Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.

OBJECTIVE: To study the effect of folic acid on homocysteine (Hcy) levels in women with insulin resistance and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in a prospective clinical trial.

CONCLUSION: The Hcy levels of hyperhomocysteinemic women with PCOS were reduced after 3 months of folic acid supplementation, and the rate of reduction was higher among women without insulin resistance. No change was found in fasting insulin levels.

METHOD: Of 210 women with PCOS, 70 were hyperhomocysteinemic; and of these, 32 were insulin resistant and 38 were not. The 70 women were treated with folic acid for 3 months. Baseline and serum levels of Hcy and insulin were measured in both groups.

RESULTS: In both groups Hcy concentrations were significantly decreased following folic acid supplementation. The mean+/-SD levels before and after treatment were 14.03+/-1.5 micromol/L and 12.53+/-1.72 micromol/L in group 1 (P<0.001), and they were 12.07+/-0.87 micromol/L and 8.83+/-0.78 micromol/L in group 2 (P<0.001).

Registered User ohmandyissodandy's Avatar
    Thanks

Very interesting, I wonder how much folic acid was used in this study?

Tired of Being Tired SunsetMuse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ok...I've reread it a few times. Could someone put this in layman's (sp) terms. I don't know maybe I'm just foggy right now after taking in so much info, but yea so hm if someone wants to explain this to me that'd be nice if not I'll just look at it later see if makes more sense. I am no good with this science stuff.

Thanks

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I read it and know what the words mean, but together I have no idea what they are saying.
    Dx 2002 after a year of my own research. That research and much prayer lead to our two blessings, born in 2004 and 2007. Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I read it and know what the words mean, but together I have no idea what they are saying.
    Oh thank goodness I am not alone lmao. I was beginning to worry when no one responded that I was really just being stupid :X but yea jury is still out as far as an explanation for this, so yea anyone up to dummin it down for me... Thanks

Thanks

first I would get a good understanding of what Hyperhomocysteinemia is... a medical condition characterized by an abnormally large level of homocysteine in the blood. A high level of blood serum homocysteine is a powerful risk factor for cardiovascular disease.

As a consequence of the biochemical reactions in which homocysteine is involved, deficiencies of the vitamins folic acid, pyridoxine (B6), or B12 can lead to high homocysteine levels.[1] Supplementation with pyridoxine, folic acid, B12 or trimethylglycine (betaine) reduces the concentration of homocysteine in the bloodstream.

Basically, the treatment helped across the board to lower the health risks of all groups involved. Does this sound right???
    Last edited by nae; 05-14-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Grand Canyon - Standing on top of the world!

Hidden Content

Better Than I Deserve... lj2blessed's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm, so my B-100 Complex supplements should be helpful? Yesss
    Mama to
    Imani "Faith" 4/09 and Ahmed "Worthy of Praise" 7/11
    Dx PCOS - 2001 *** BCP free since 2/07

I have PCOS...but PCOS doesn't have me!

Join me at Hidden Content !

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your imput! That made much more sense to me! lol. I just am not good with science and the such and when I searched I just didn't understand anything xD Thanks again