Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Expanding hairline on neck? Anyone else have this?

Does anyone else have their hairline on the back of their neck expand when their hirsutism appeared? It seems weird to me since PCOS is supposed to affect head hair the opposite way. I always had kind of a weird low hairline in the back, on my left side especially, below the normal hairline I would grow longish hairs in a strip down on either side of my neck. But since my symptoms worsened, this has expanded. It has also grown out on the sides of my neck, almost starting to come onto the front. I just went to the hairdresser and had her trim it off, and then came home and shaved the bottom of it (she just buzzed that part close to the skin but I wanted it completely not visible.) She said she'd never seen anything like it before. I find it kind of confusing and wonder if anyone else had this problem.

Here are some pics of what it looked like before I got it trimmed. The camera phone does not show all the detail well, so the place where I am pointing my finger is where the hairline stops completely (the hairs are less thick and numerous there but still there.)

I am glad I got it trimmed but being that my head hair grows so fast, I'm probably going to have to shave/trim it every time I wear my hair up. What a pain in the ass. I hate PCOS!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbark View Post
    Does anyone else have their hairline on the back of their neck expand when their hirsutism appeared? It seems weird to me since PCOS is supposed to affect head hair the opposite way. I always had kind of a weird low hairline in the back, on my left side especially, below the normal hairline I would grow longish hairs in a strip down on either side of my neck. But since my symptoms worsened, this has expanded. It has also grown out on the sides of my neck, almost starting to come onto the front. I just went to the hairdresser and had her trim it off, and then came home and shaved the bottom of it (she just buzzed that part close to the skin but I wanted it completely not visible.) She said she'd never seen anything like it before. I find it kind of confusing and wonder if anyone else had this problem.

Here are some pics of what it looked like before I got it trimmed. The camera phone does not show all the detail well, so the place where I am pointing my finger is where the hairline stops completely (the hairs are less thick and numerous there but still there.)
    I am glad I got it trimmed but being that my head hair grows so fast, I'm probably going to have to shave/trim it every time I wear my hair up. What a pain in the ass. I hate PCOS!!!
    It's not really strange -- it's just part of the development of a more masculine hair growth pattern. Most men don't lose the hair around the side of their heads and their necks are usually much hairier than the average woman's. Hair at the back of the neck never looks feminine and when you shave it it looks very obviously shaved. I simply wear my hair down as often as possible and that means almost all the time.

Thanks

I like my hair down anyway, but in the summer it's often simply too hot to wear it down when I'm out and about. My hair is really thick/heavy so it's like wearing a sweater on my head basically. I think I look better with it down but sometimes the heat really gets to me, plus it's gross to be all sweaty and have my hair weighning down on my head.

I think it looks pretty natural how I have it now. It's not all shaved, just the bottom part, where the hair growth was more sparse, the only problem was it grew out long. But you can't really see that it's shaved unless you are staring at my neck from really close, and even then it might just look like sparse short hair growth. I think it looks ok how it is now. I will just have to keep up with it though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've always naturally had that. It was no worse when my pcos symptoms kicked up. Eventually, i just had it lasered, since I wear my hair in a ponytail a lot... ZAP, and gone for good.

Thanks

I have that. But I didn't get it until I started using Rogaine, then hair started to grow in very strange places..lol. I even have it on my earlobes!

Thanks

yeah, i might eventually get it lasered, which i want to do on my stomach also (for the other places i have unwanted hair i have to get electrolysis because it is too fine and not as dark so laser probably won't affect it.) but this is in the future when i actually have money...

it's hard for me to tell anymore what other people consider normal. i assume that if i wore my hair up with the hairline not trimmed people would look at me and think it was weird or gross. but, i also don't want people to look at me and think "eww, she shaves her neck?!"... but thankfully it's not the whole neck, just the bottom part of those two little strips... i think it looks pretty natural... but maybe i am wrong. i just want to look normal and not stick out as someone hairy or masculine or weird. my body shape is pretty feminine despite the PCOS. i do have the weight around my middle but it actually accentuates my hips some. and my chest isn't bad either. so i have a feminine shape, but, i don't want people looking at my neck and thinking i am manly...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

From the pictures, it doesn't look manly, at all.

Thanks

i took some pictures of how it is now. i guess just to get an opinion on if it looks bad and i should grow it back out again...

also it's really freaking hard to take a picture of the back of your head! geez. i noticed in these pictures the hairline looks more "straight" than it does in real life. in real life it doesn't really look so much like a straight line... i'm not sure why it does in the pictures. either way that is easily fixed. it's still not so warm out that i have to wear it up all the time, but i am going to a costume party this weekend where i might have to wear my hair up, and i didn't want it to look really weird.

my weird hairline didn't used to bother me, except that it was a little annoying to have to use extra bobby pins and clips to keep it up in my ponytail. but now the hairline is even weirder and on the one side it grows all the way down to the beginning of my back (and kind of blends with my back hair, which forunately is much finer and lighter and you can't actually see it in these pictures.) i feel like this is unacceptable for a woman. but i don't know if how i have it now looks fake or shaved...

Thanks

Mine is the same way and the hair line is going lower too. Going down the back of my neck. At least that's the way it seems. I only wear my hair up when i am alone at home.

Thanks

I've had a very low hairline and it has gradually gotten lower in the last ten years or so. I hadn't really noticed it for several years...until I recently got a bob!
    Married 9/17/05
    Lori 27
    DH 37 Hidden Content

Blood clots have prevented us from TTC...until now! Yay!

Prenatals
    Folic Acid
    Clomid 150mg days 5-9
    Lovenox/Heparin injections daily

HOPING FOR MY BFP!!

Registered User Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Thanks

I have that too, and it's been getting worse. I can't wear my hair down because I have super bad dandruff, but mine is pretty much blonde so it just looks wispy.

Thanks

My hair grows really low on my neck as well but it's been something I've had all my life. The only time it was really brought to my attention was when I had my hair cut in high school really short in the back and in stacked layers, and she had to shave my neck for what seemed like forever. Too much maintenence for me though...it just aggravates me because it doesn't get long enough for me to throw up in a ponytail with the rest of my hair so it just kinda stays down and curls into ringlets. Oh well.
    Smile; it makes people curious.

Wife to my husband, Ben, 27.
    Mommy to my little spoiled rotten kitten, 11 weeks old...and we've only had her for a few hours!!!!!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I have it, and the hair there is also different. It's really frizzy and darker than the hair on my head. I get it shaved even when my hair is longer. Otherwise, it pushes out the hair that grows on top of it, and looks odd. I wish I could afford laser!
    --Misty Hidden Content DH: AndrewHidden Content 6 yearsHidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Type II Diabetes
    Avandamet, Vit. B Complex

First Clomid cycle - 100mg Clomid

Thanks

i don't think that's anything too out of the ordinary. i've seen a couple "normal" girls with that exact same thing going on, maybe even worse. i've also seen "normal" girls with side-neck hair like that too. (yeah, i'm constantly checking out other peoples' body hair...) i've always had a really low neck hair line, and mine creeps up a little further on the sides than that, and i had never thought anything of it until i learned about all this junk.

also, i heard somewhere that alot of celebrities even get the backs of their necks lasered to make their hairlines look "cleaner." so i guess it's more of a common thing than you think.

Thanks

I have the same exact thing and it drives me crazy!!!!