Thanks

Default Metformin...Birth Control, PCOS Weight Loss?

Anyone having success with losing weight?? I just started BC and Metformin this week and am following a diet and exercise program. Weight loss has not happened for me in the past and I am praying it happens now that I am being treated.

Anyone with success out there?
    JEM
    Hidden Content
    Diagnosed with PCOS May 2008

Symptoms:
    Weight Gain, Acne, Hirsutism, Irregular Periods, Skin Tags, Infertility, Thickened Endometrial Lining, Hyperplasia.

Treatment:
    Started Metformin and Yaz the BC Pill
    TTC since August 2004
    Stopped TTC May 2008, trying to regulate hormones and lose weight before trying again.

I really want to have a baby before the end of 2010. This means I need to lose alot of weight and get my PCOS under control.

So Very Blessed Cyster A1Bailey's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a weight loss thread around here somewhere... met has been an answered prayer for many!!! Good luck!
    Me: 28, DH: 28 Married 5 years Hidden Content
    Prolactinoma & PCOS DX in 2002
    DD born 6/14/05 Hidden Content
    TTC#2 since March 2007
    Lap in March 2008 to remove cysts
    3 Cycles of Femara 5mg, cd 3-7 - BFN
    Gonal F - 2 Cycles - BFN
    Moving on to IVF - 29 eggs, 24 fertilized, 2 implanted, 6 on ice - BFP!!! Due November 9, 2009! Beta 14dpr - 113, 16dpr - 249
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Default Hesitations about Met

I started taking Metforminfor a month or so about a year ago, but I stopped taking it since my blood sugar has always been normal,but I was in the lower range of insulin resistance (a couple of years ago, i don't know if it might have changed). Anyways, i stopped taking it because I had started exercising and I started to feel funny, like sometimes during the day I would get these wierd headaches, like a lot of pressure in my head? I got scared and thought that the Met was going to make me into a diabetic, but I never talked to my doctor about it (which I know I should). Has this happened to anyone else?
    Me(Shannon): 27
    DH: 30
    Married 10/8/00
    Dx 6/04
    DS#1 1/13/02, 2yrs unofficially ttc
    DS#2 born 8/31/05 after 2 rounds clomid
    DS#3 born 8/19/09 3 failed rounds of clomid, 1st round of femara!

[Hidden Content

Thanks

I have been on the met for about 3-4 months now... Doc wants me up to 4 pills and I just started figuring out a way to do 3 a day.
    I know I havent been the best to sticking to any type of diet or exercise plan so its probably my own fault that I havent really lost any weight....
    I am still trying to find a diet that works for me and I can stick to. (like any diet is fun)
    It is definatly a life style change and I have to keep reminding myself to take baby steps. I try to change too many things at once and then fail miserably.

Thanks

When I first started taking Met, I lost 30 lbs in two months with changing my diet and adding in a little exercise. By a little, I mean walking at least 2 miles every other day and getting on ab lounger, doing 30 crunches every other day.

I was then referred to a gyn because of severe pelvic pain, and after an ultra sound, she found a small fibroid. She took me off of the Met to try me on Yaz, and I started to gain the weight back. We added Met back into the picture, but I was still gaining with the Yaz. Finally, with the complications from the fibroid and other family problems, I gave up on both. I gained back all of my original weight.

After a year of battling with the fibroid, and visiting a dr in local ER, who diagnosed me with Menstrual Cramps, I had had enough. My uterus was taken in March. Now I am back on the Met, but haven't been exercising because of after surgery restrictions. I am hoping that I have the same success I had before.
    ~35 ~ PCOS/IR ~ LAVH due to fibroid, kept ovaries ~

Registered User laddiikatherine's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Pcos

Anyone having success with losing weight?? I just started BC and Metformin this week and am following a diet and exercise program. Weight loss has not happened for me in the past and I am praying it happens now that I am being treated.

Anyone with success out there?

Dear Jem,
    My name is Katherine and i was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 months ago, and my OBGYN prescribed metformin and bcp for me, and so far i have lost almost 40 pounds, when i first started the weight loss seemed almost instantaneous, i lost 20 pounds in the first couple of weeks(without exercise) and i was feeling good, and then as the weight loss seemed to slow i began exercising and eating healthier(small meals and early dinners), and i continued to lose weight, though not as quickly as the first few weeks I am still steadily losing weight.
    So I guess this is my success story, birth control works differently for everyone as i have been told especially from some of my friends who have PCOS, it worked for me to lose weight, i feel that as long as you keep yourself in a routine you should lose weight.
    Routine is crutial, I didn't follow my normal routine for a couple of days and i quickly gained 5-10 pounds, but as soon as i got back into my routine, i began to shed the weight that i had gained and am losing more.
    So, just remember, routine, light meals, exercise(but not necessarily too much exercise(about fifteen minutes at a time), i prefer things like jumping rope for a couple of minutes and then push ups and crunches etc.), and if you begin to crave things you can allow yourself to have them as long as you keep in mind that you shouldn't have too much of anything.
    -Katherine
    P.S. sorry for the long message i tend to talk a lot.
    P.P.S. Good Luck to you