Thanks

Default Can PCOS mimic pregnancy

Hi! I think I'm going crazy? I don't know! What do you think????
    I was wondering if anyone ever experienced this or can help me figure out what I'm going through.

I'm a cyster with a fairly regular period (infact, I often envy the cysters who skip periods because mine are normally very bad: super heavy, long and crampy-- 2 pads at a time kind of thing). Usually the periods start out really heavy right away and finally lighten up after about 4 days, then four days of the flow tapering off. My past few cycles have been very different (keep in mind that I have not changed my prescriptions, diet, lifestyle at all in the past year). The periods are coming on very slow, starting out as a mucousy streaking then a short moderate flow that lasts all of 4 days (if they could all stay like that, I could feel like a normal human being during AF). Here's the weird thing. After my last period, I've noticed that I've been feeling spasms or as I call it baby kicks (I've had 3 kids, and it feels the same as fetal kicking). I finished my last period a little more than a week ago, and I've noticed that less than a week later my boobs are swollen, my nipples are sore, I'm dizzy all the time, queasy, weak in the knees, bloated, headache-y, exhausted, and feeling like I did when I was pregnant. So, logic says take a pregnancy test. I did and it was negative. I plan to test again either next week or if my next period doesn't show next month. I did have bleeding throughout my last pregnancy, so I started to assume that perhaps this was the case now. I'm not sure what to think. I'm concerned that if it isn't pregnancy, then what in the world is it? Are my hormones just going crazy? Other than PCOS, I'm fairly healthy, minus a slightly elevated Blood Pressure and being overweight. I'm on a low dose of blood pressure meds, but it causes birth defects, so I'm hoping to figure out whether or not I'm pregnant soon so I can switch meds.
    I'm currently taking:
    Metformin 500 mg (3x/day)
    Lisinopril 10 mg
    Biotin
    Kelp

Any thoughts or advice for a confused cyster?

Down with Ninjas! Purple_monkfish's Avatar
    Thanks

I had pregnancy-like symptoms a few months back that came to nothing but 3 skipped periods and a very messed up chart. No idea what caused it because I definintely wasn't ever pregnant.

Different hormones can cause problems so it might be a hormone upset/imbalance caused by well.. just about anything to be honest. Docs always say stress but it could be a change of diet, routine, lack of sleep.. the list goes on and on. Women's bodies are stupidly sensitive to things it seems.

Taking another hpt is probably a good plan just to rule that out, but otherwise.. well hopefully it'll sort itself out. I just got my first af in 3 months on the first (and i'm usually regular) so who the heck knows what happened there. Our bodies seem to enjoy getting us all worried heh.
    Cian David St. John - Born 13:33, 27th Nov 2006. 36 weeks, 5lb 4oz
    Hidden Content

M/C 05/08/08, 25/01/09 Moved to adoption.
    Surprise BFP! Finn Samuel Louis - Born 06:33, 10th Dec 2011. 8 days overdue, 7lb 15oz
    Hidden Content

Niall Francis Alfred - Born 5:17am, 3rd April 2013. 37+4 weeks, 6lb 10oz
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I see that you are taking kelp do you have thyroid problems? I used to have real heavy periods too then my thyroid started to have problems within 3 months I would spot when I was due.

Thanks

Hi! Yes, I've been taking kelp since last September. I don't have an official thyroid condition, but I do have both a nodule and cyst on my thyroid. According to my nuclear test, part of my thyroid is dying but the side that works is working twice as hard to carry the entire gland, so all of my test results come out perfectly normal. I have a strong family history of thyroid disease (Mom and brother have it). And my doctor thinks that eventually my thyroid will die out too. In the mean time, I'm taking kelp which has been helping with the swelling that my thyroid goes through (makes me feel like choking! but the kelp seems to stop the swelling for me). The thing is, I've been on kelp for a while now and the change in periods is fairly recent. I still didn't retest for pregnancy. I'm not sure how long to wait for a retest. Some say 3 days, some say 1 week and others say wait and see if I'm late for my next period. I am leaning towards 3 days because I am on Lisinopril which could be deadly to a fetus, so if I am pregnant, I would want to know as soon as possible so I can switch meds for my blood pressure (I am a high risk pregnancy with a history of toxemia so I will need to control my blood pressure during pregnancy).

I still have swollen boobs and sore nipples. I'm very headachey and dizzy and I have to pee alot (alot for me is anything more than 3 times a day---- I have a terrific bladder!). I'm also super sleepy and cranky. I noticed that 2 periods ago, I was a week early and had a light period. The last one was exactly 30 days from the previous, but was also uncommonly light.

Could I be going through a sort of early menopause or something---- I do get hot flashes!?!? I'm 30, but with PCOS, I have no clue what is going on with me anymore!

Thanks

go to your docor a a gyno would be my best suggestion i don't know what all to say.... they could tell you best. sorry i can't more
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Size 14 Your MINE!!!

(currently 18-20)
    Hidden Content

Diagnosis's: Asthma Insulin Resistance

Medicines: Proventil HFA (1 puff every four hours as neeed for shortness of breath), Advair (250/50 2 times a day), Metformin (1 500mg pill daily)

Down with Ninjas! Purple_monkfish's Avatar
    Thanks

*hugs* I really hope you get an answer soon, not knowing is the worst part I think.
    Cian David St. John - Born 13:33, 27th Nov 2006. 36 weeks, 5lb 4oz
    Hidden Content

M/C 05/08/08, 25/01/09 Moved to adoption.
    Surprise BFP! Finn Samuel Louis - Born 06:33, 10th Dec 2011. 8 days overdue, 7lb 15oz
    Hidden Content

Niall Francis Alfred - Born 5:17am, 3rd April 2013. 37+4 weeks, 6lb 10oz
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi All... Just an update. I did retest on the pregnancy test yesterday, and another BFN. Still feeling odd. Swollen boobs, fatigue, constant bloating since my last AF ended on 5/9 (it started 5/6--- so it was super short for me and very light). I've been noticing a discharge similar to what I get when/if I ovulate. If I were normal and not plagued with PCOS, I'd begin ovulation tomorrow, but I've been feeling like this since my last AF. If I do ovulate, I'd get that awful mittleshmurtz (sp?) pain. Last time I had that was in March. It's the kind of pain you don't forget! literally had me on the floor crying! Good thing I work at home and wasn't out in public!!!!! I'm wondering if I'm just getting all hormonely discombobulated!!!! Oh, and I swear I've been feeling movement in my belly that's not like regular gas and some kind of spasm where my tummy tightens up and then relaxes. It's soooo weird. If I had insurance, I'd go to the doctor, but at this point I'm just hoping to hear from someone with a similar story.

Thanks

never thought of it till now .. but I too have 'spasms' that resemble a baby ( I have 2 kids) ... funny ... will have to pay more attention!

Thanks

Hi, you just described how i have been over the past 2 months! ha ha! im getting the exact same thing its kinda nice to know im not alone or completely mental! it does feel like baby kicks and movements i am also getting BFNs and the unusual light spotty periods (mine are full on really heavy flow for 7 days normally) that last for 3-4 days only. i dont know what it is either but my doc changed my BCP but that didnt do anything for me nothing changed, the only thing i have done differently recently is come off BCP all together to start TTC but i shouldnt be having pg symptoms yet as AF isnt due till next week. every symptom you have described imam also getting, the sore swollen boobs, the dizziness, the general pregnant feeling.
    Hopefully we can work out whats happening
    Have a great day
    Mel
    Me {26} Melissa
    DH {23} Sam
    DS {2} Jack
    PCOS diagnosed for 13 yrs, struggling with weight and hirsutism, skin tags, and all the rest, im like a hamburger with the lot! beetroot and all!