Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Eat sugar then fall asleep

After I eat carbs or sugar (candy, pizza), if I stay seated (class, meeting) I have a tendency to fall asleep. I have also fallen asleep while driving once (after eating a bag of gummy sharks). I fall asleep during lab meeting (after eating 2 slices of pizza), and I was sleeping in class last night (after eating a starburst). It's been a weird problem for a while, and I'm not sure what it's from. Internet searches really haven't helped. If I move around after eating carbs (walking, standing, etc), I'm fine.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm not diabetic, but I am on Metformin. My 'passing out' started well before the medication, though.

Thanks

Hi im like that a bit but not as bad as you have described. Like if i eat carbs or sugar i can get really sleepy and exhausted, i dont fall asleep when im out and about but i usually fall asleep once i get home or ive seen me comming home and going to bed about 7/8pm etc. Ive always wondered if its insulin resistance with me although ive not been tested for it

pina x
    ttc no1 since 2003
    4th injectables and iui june 06 - OMG BFP blighted ovum -m/c and d&c aug 06
    OHSS on most of my cycles due to very high AMH
    Another 4 cycles injections/iui BFN

IVF Sept 09 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS - 2 snowbabies
    FET Nov 2010 - 2 snowbabies transferred but negative

Hidden Content

Thanks

My mom is the same way. She has to snack on nuts when driving and avoid anything with sugar like soda. She falls asleep while driving even without the sugar, but with sugar it gets pretty dangerous.
    TTC #1 since 01/03
    2003- Clomid - HSG - SA
    2004- Lap - Gonal-f
    2005- Break
    2006- Saving for IVF - Metformin - BFP 10/06

Thanks

I think I'm reading that it has something to do with eating carbs/turns to glucose, producing insulin, insulin getting all of the sugar into cells, blood runs out of glucose, brain has no food and goes to sleep. I guess the good thing is that my body is responding to insulin, I guess the problem is that I'm producing too much insulin?

Thanks

You might want to try adding some protein to your sugar snacks. Try keeping some nuts or string cheese around. It really does help. It may just be a temp issue, too. I went through a very stressful time once when every little thing seemed to effect my blood sugar. Now, it takes a lot to cause me problems.
    TTC #1 since 01/03
    2003- Clomid - HSG - SA
    2004- Lap - Gonal-f
    2005- Break
    2006- Saving for IVF - Metformin - BFP 10/06

Thanks

my hubby is like this, now- if he eats anything sweet - he needs to sleep.....
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Registered User Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shyrie View Post
    I have also fallen asleep while driving once (after eating a bag of gummy sharks).
    Alright... disclaimer: Of course, I don't think it's funny that you fell asleep while driving. Or that eating sugar makes you fall asleep.

However, something about this phrase made me giggle.... it must be the gummy sharks!

Thanks

Before I gave up sugar I was the same way. I would eat sugary foods and I was dragging for the day. I had to finally give it up. And now I have a lot more energy.
    Goals for 2010:

1. Exercise using Taebo at least 1 time per week,and yoga at least 1 time per week.
    2. Stick to low glycemic foods.
    3. Get pregnant!Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you have insulin resistance. I have IR and have a similar problem, also feel quite ill after eating too much sugar. You should ask your doc to test you for IR.
    ~ Aussie Cyster ~
    Hidden Content Severe IR / Migraines / Depression
    1500mg Metformin XR
    Cinnamon/Chromium/Magnesium/Vit B's
    Laparoscopy/Ovarian Drilling and Curette 27/7/09
    Born to be a Mummy to dogs!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hellofromangie View Post
    Before I gave up sugar I was the same way. I would eat sugary foods and I was dragging for the day. I had to finally give it up. And now I have a lot more energy.

I'm not dragging for the rest of the day. I basicaly can't stay awake for 20-60 minutes, then I wake up/stay awake and am fine the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Alright... disclaimer: Of course, I don't think it's funny that you fell asleep while driving. Or that eating sugar makes you fall asleep.

However, something about this phrase made me giggle.... it must be the gummy sharks!
    It was funny (in hindsight). I did learn an importnat lesson tho- if I'm sleepy, pull off the road. (at that point I was borrowing my grandmother's car and figured she'd be upset if I came home late - reality is - coming home would be more important). I didn't think I'd ever _actually_ fall asleep while driving until that incident. Luckily, I didn't get into an accident (tho I did scrape the barrier), nobody got hurt, I just got the daylights scared out of me. I often wonder what it could have been like if I did hit another car. So.. Advice, pull over if you're sleepy. It's better to get home safe than to get home on time.
    Last edited by shyrie; 05-17-2008 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks

This may be completely random, but do you get yeast infections?
    Conceived Son #1 naturally in 2000 (think I developed PCOS after his birth)

Conceived Son #2 after trying for 6 mths in 2002

Miscarried my beautiful twins May 2007 at 13 weeks Hidden Content

Diagnosed with PCOS 2007.

Currently trying to beat PCOS and Candida

TTC #3

Hidden Content

Functional PCOS'er KimberlyMillions's Avatar
    New York...Life Should Be a Piece of Cake!
    Thanks

We have a trend here...

I get very sleepy after eating sugary/starchy foods. I try to stay away from those types of foods, but once I do; it's over! I need a bed and a cozy comforter! Also, no driving after sugar; it's the equivalent of DWI for me!

I also noticed that if I have too much "bad food" the night before, that I will wake up with dry, red crusty eyes! (TMI) and I feel like Sugar Honey Iced Tea! My eneergy level is at sub-zero and I have a terrible outlook.

I try not to consume the foods that contribute to these symptoms, but it's hard when cant stop craving the foods and feel out of control when you dont get the food you crave!

It should be called VCOS...Vicious Cravings of Sugar!
    Last edited by KimberlyMillions; 05-17-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
    This may be completely random, but do you get yeast infections?
    Not really. (Nothing more than I'd expect from using the nuva ring). I do eat yogurt somewhat regularly, so that may be 'preventative'.

Thanks

When was the last time you had your glucose levels checked by your Dr? You mentioned that you are not diabetic, and that you are on metformin. Did you have your insulin levels checked before you were put on Met? What about after? High insulin levels show that you are insulin resistant and that your body is not responding to the amount of insulin you have in you body, therefore, it produces more for you to metabolize what you ate vs. someone who is not IR.

What you describe is very common in people with diabetes/IR. If you are eating something with high sugar/carbs in it your glucose levels could be spiking and that is what is causing you to fall asleep. If you have a glucose monitor, check your levels at that time. It'll tell you if that is the culprit.

Also, it is my understanding that if your insulin levels are too high and your glucose levels are too low, you will become shaky, disoriented and very nauseaus, I've never heard of making you fall asleep. (Check out hypoglycemia)

Good Luck.

Thanks

I get extremely sleepy after eating carbs or sugar - I like to refer to it as a "food coma" because even if I don't fall asleep, I can't focus and I get very lethargic.
    Hidden Content

Dx 7/19/07
    Met 2000mg