Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Post Provera Didn't Work...Now What?

<<(also posted on TTC board)>>

Well its now been 2 weeks since I took the last provera tablet and I'm assuming (so is my dr) that it is not going to work for me (AF is nowhere to be seen...not even close). So my question is, now what?. What should I try next?. My dr told me to start the clomid anyway (i.e assume today is CD5 and don't wait any longer for AF) but when I posted that info a few days ago on this board I got a few strong responses telling me not to do it!. So what should I do?. I'm running out of patience really quick and would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!.
    Me 27yrs
    DH 27yrs
    3 Clomid cycles in 2002 all unsuccesful
    Starting 1st Gonal-F cycle Jan 2003

Thanks

Angry

I totally understand where you're coming from. I am on day 11 following my last Provera and no AF. My Doc told me that if AF didn't come, she would try some sort of shots.

Wish i could be more help, but I feel your pain and frustration!
    TTC #1 since November 2001
    EDD December 26, 2003

Thanks

The same thing happened to me, except I stained (ever so lightly) a few days, then bingo it went away. I have been on provera before and always got AF. My dr said my estrogen is low, but not to be concerned and to start clomid anyway. I too am worried that I am wasting my time. I don't have any more emotional time to just "give away" being a guinea pig. Good luck!!! My dr seems to think the same as yours, if that helps. I know that I am not comfortable, but I am going to start Clomid anyway and get myself a second opinion.

Toni
    tonigrem@yahoo.com

Thanks

Previously I was taking prometrium (the strongest strength normally given) to have AF so I can start on Clomid. However, I am in the same predicament as you. I did not have that much of a lining, so I believe that is why its not working. I called my doctor this afternoon and he will return my call tomorrow. While I was talking to the nurse she stated that usually in a special circumstance like this that he may be able to up the dose or put me on something else to start it. From what I understand clomid has to be started on a certain period of your cycle to make the egg strong while it is developing if it is given at any other time it wont work. I am not a doctor but this is what my ob/gyn told me. Since you have not had a period u cant be sure its day 5.If I were you I would suggest maybe getting a second opinion or something because this completely contradicts anything I have ever heard of.
    Autumn 30
    Mike DH 34
    Hidden Content
    active trying since 1/02
    DX with PCOS 10/00
    Meds I am currently on
    Vitex 400mg
    Levoxyl 0.05mg--hypothyroid
    Aldomet500 mg--hypertension
    Glucophage XR 1000 mg---
    Insulin Resistance

The lovely side effects of Glucophage
    Hidden Content

Thanks

One of my girlfriends kept waiting and waiting for her Provera to work, only to find out she was pregnant and had ovulated late so that her levels did not shwo up in her pregnancy test.
    Angie
    DD - Graceanna Marie Hasmig
    02/22/03
    Clomid resistant -- pg w/ Gracie using Gonal-F.

TTC#2 halted when husband left

Hidden Content

Thanks

i took provera, nothing. then went in for a shot ( waited 2 more weeks) nothing. then started estrogen, 14 days of it, now starting provera again. i took a pg test it is neg. what is going on! i feel like a walking bloted mean crying tick about to burst!!!!
    : )
    me(32) dh(30)
    married 2 years
    2000mg gluc.
    clomid 50 mg cd5-9 - no O
    clomid 100 mg cd5-9

Thanks

Here is the thing, to my understanding, if provera does not work then the chances of clomid doing its job is slim to none.This is because the withdrawal bleed that u would get from provera is bought on by the connection with your pituitary gland to your ovaries. (It signals the endomitrium to shed) and clomid also woks by tricking the pituitary gland into thinking that u are not producing estrogen so that it will secrete more and therefore create a mature ovum. So it wouldn't be beneficial for u to take that clomid yet because your pituitary gland is not responding to provera much less clomid. i am not saying this to get u down i am just telling u what makes sense to me and i wish u the best of luck.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The reason that it is ggod to take clomid after a bleed is to have a staring point to count your cycle days and to clean your lining out so the baby has a fresh lining to implant in. It is not necessary but I believe it is beneficial. It is up to you and your Dr. if you want to start clomid without af. Remember , we are not Drs here so if you want to go ahead and take it especially since your Dr sees no harm, then go for it. If you do want af, ask him for prometrium and take it vaginally rather than orally (enev if the rx says orally-vaginally gets there quicker). Many take 2oomg and that is usaully enough to induce af. I have taken 400mg of it. Maybe the prometrium will work for you, it wont hurt to try if you want a bleed to clean you out.

Mommy to twins Christian & Sophia 9 years old, Angelina 3 years old.
    4 early losses and 1 pre-term loss of my twin Angels Sarah & Joshua, in our hearts forever!
    Currently pregnant for the 8th time with my 3rd set of twins! What a surprise!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I took Provera and after 14 days didn't get AF. To find out I was pregnant with my second DD. We were going on the Provera to get AF to start Clomid. When they dated the pregnancy, we found out I was pregnant after taking a couple of Provera tabs. My RE says it is not usual but possible for that to happen.

That was the only time provera didn't induce AF for me.
    Come check us out at FriendlyMommas.com

Thanks

Are you sure you arent pregnant? I have always gotten my period after taking Provera so I am not sure what the next step is

Thanks
    Blog Entries

UUGGHH!!!! This thread is OLD! lol! I just read the thread date of the original poster, it is from APRIL 2002! Well I hope I hope it helped someone.

4 early losses and 1 pre-term loss of my twin Angels Sarah & Joshua, in our hearts forever!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I didn't see that either, I feel kind of stupid now. LOL
    Come check us out at FriendlyMommas.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Me too! I wish people would not bring back OLD threads.

Hidden Content

Thanks

LOL don't feel stupid- this is just the question I had....now in 2007- LOL. I have gotten AF with provera in the past...went in for a baseline u/s and b/w and my lining was a 12 so they started provera.....its been 15 days since I started 10mg for 5 days and no AF???? It took me 2 IVF's to get pg with my first so I am hoping buyt doubting that I could be pg....
    IVF (fresh)#2:Retrieval 5/15/06- 25 eggs,18 mature,14 fert. 5dt 5/20- 3 blasts,froze 4.
    BFP- 5/26/06 @ 11dpr
    B#1- (15 dpr) 78, p=12
    B#2- (17 dpr) 134, p=18.9
    B#3- (21 dpr) 545, p=23.9
    Hidden Content
    IVF (fresh)#4- 8 eggs, 7fert, transferred 3 blasts 3/26- BFP (10dpr)
    B#1- (13dpr)130s, p=18
    B#2- (17dpr)470, p=45
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I haven't taken 5 pills since I was a teenager lol! I usually take 10. Of course there are times that forget after 7or 8 provera pills but I still get af around 3-4 days after my last pill. Have you taken 5 previously and had it brind on af? I wonder if in your case you needed more?

I will hope right along with you though

Hidden Content