Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Ulcer or Gallbladder ?

I was in the ER Friday night for sevear pain in my upper stomach. They examed me and ran my blood. At first they were thinking gallbladder. When the blood came back mostly normal, they said likely an ulcer. I never knew an ulcer could hurt so bad. Also, I have been eating real bland without as much fat as possible and I still have pain. They have me taking Prilocet (sp?) which I've done for 3 days now. I'm still taking vicoden (sp?) for pain. I'm having my doubts on the ulcer thing. What do you guys think? My pain does radiate to the right some. I started having pains in my back, but that could be to the fact that I'm leaning over more because of the pain. I've got an appt. with a new doctor today at 3pm. I just hope I make it that long, lol.

Oh, a little back ground. I've had pains come up at night a few times in the past 4 or so months. Usually after about 45min they go away and I can go back to bed. Last Wed. morning I woke up at 2:30 am w/ pain and it wouldn't go away. I got sick that night, so thought maybe I was just sick. That was until I got the pain again Friday night at 6:30. It subsided around 9:30 and I was able to fall asleep, but was woken up at 10:30 with it back 10 x's worse. The pain was so bad I almost got sick from it. That's when we decided I should go to the ER.

TIA for any info!
    Starlite

Me-28, DH-29
    DD 1, born Sept 17th, 2007
    DD 2, born June 9th, 2009

Can't wait to start WW again and loose the other 15lbs I gained with the last pregnancy and the 30lbs I still needed to lose with the first one.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Speaking of gallbladder i have to get mine taken out this wednesday ,my pain is under my right ribcage and it goes in both my right and left shoulder and between my breast i have multiple gallstones one measuring 4mm. and i have one in the bile duct as well. its very intense pain with burping and passing gas alot ,stomach swelling also ...ive also had ulcers and it feels the same way the gallbladder pain feels so its hard to distingush between the 2 best thing to do is get a second opinion .....hope you feel better soon!

Thanks

Wow it sounds like gallbladder issues to me. Usually with an ulcer you would have some heartburn or acid reflux as well. This isn't the case always, but it's usually a symptom. Maybe you can ask the new doc today for an ultrasound of the gallbladder- it's a quick painless way to see if there is something going on in there.
    28 years old- no meds- trying to get healthy through diet and exercise

Thanks

Thanks girls. The doc today took more blood to get tested. I already had a huge bruse where they took blood at the ER. Said the ER doc shouldn't have said peptic ulcer without doing a scope down my throght. I'm schedfuled for an ultrasound Thursday morning. The blood results will take about 3-4 days and the u/s will take about 48hours. Is there anything I can do in the meantime for pain? It's just about constant. I can't really take the vicoden while at work. I also want to play with my daughter and can't when I'm sleeping from taking the pain pills.
    Starlite

Me-28, DH-29

Can't wait to start WW again and loose the other 15lbs I gained with the last pregnancy and the 30lbs I still needed to lose with the first one.

Hidden Content

Desperately In Hope wick02040105's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey all,

I know alot of docs that would think i'm crazy but then again this is not a huge thing yet in the us so I'm gonna let all of you know my mom was diagnosed three years ago with Celiac Sprue Disease it is a Auto-Immune Disorder that people have when they are alergic to Gluten (aka Wheat, Rey, Barley, and Oats) alot of people with this disease have the following symptoms ulcers, gallblader infections/gallblader removed, headaches, fatigue, anemia, diabetes, depression, asthma, alopecia(Hair loss), psoriasis (a skin rash on the hands, knees, elbows, and sometimes the back of your head onto your neck),Oh yeah don't let me forget infertility. I mean the list goes on and on you can even have tummy trouble like the urge to go to the bathroom #2 right after eating this is a very serious disease and if you are experiencing any of these issues you should research this further the celiac sprue foundation has a website I'm just not sure of the exact address you can google it though, anyways I have also found that this disease goes hand in hand w/ pcos my mom has pcos I have it my aunts have it and we all have celiac disease. It often goes untreated in the us b/c docs over here know little about it but it is a big thing over seas and can be treated by going on a Gluten Free Diet, anyways please research this more I know it sounds crazy but hey anything can help...
    Have any more questions just ask I can help point you in the right direction...

Thanks,
    Christy

Thanks

It surely sounds like your gallbladder! Usually you need a scope to see if it's an ulcer for sure! You said you're having back pain too? Did they check for kidney stone?
    Shannon (30) DH (32)
    Jaydon arrived June 23!! 6lb 12oz 19in
    Our blog: Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

When I went to the ER they did an ultrasound to check my gallbladder and it was enflamed but they could find no gallstones and my symptoms were similiar to yours. I was in so much pain in my upper stomach I thought I was having a heart attack. My pain was almost always at night and it always took a couple of hours to go away. I waited about 4 or 5 "attacks" to go to the ER becuase it was a few weeks before my wedding and everyone said I was having panic attacks lol. But if you have to get it the surgery wasn't bad at all. 1 day after surgery in hospital and then home to rest for 2 or 3days. By then I was ready to go back to work.

Good Luck,

Beth

I nursed for 15 months! Melvin'sWifey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here's my gallbladder story: I was 19 and just lost 30lbs very fast by not eating much and excercising a lot. I wanted to lose another 30lbs but instead starting getting sharp and excruciating pains in my upper stomach under my rib cage sometimes on both sides, sometimes alternating sides. I would be driving, sleeping, working, etc and the pain would come on and I'd just have to pull over or stop what I was doing and wait out the pain. It was so horrific I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy...if I had one

I went to the ER for months and they kept telling me over and over it was an ulcer. They did blood tests, not sure what kind, but kept telling me ulcer and to take some pepto or other tummy meds OTC. Obviously, it didn't help at all. After dealing with this horrible pain for months and months I went to the ER again and DEMANDED an ultra sound immediately. No, wasn't going to wait for a u/s appointment or for anything... I wanted one right away and that was that! I made it seem like I was about to die, and they started my ultrasound within an hour.

The nurse who did my ultrasound said she had given birth to 3 children naturally and also had gallstones. She said the gallstones hurt worse than all three births combined. She did an abdominal ultrasound and said I had a ton of gallstones and that I would need to have my gallbladder removed within the week. They gave me some good pain meds, scheduled my surgery a week later, and that was that. I believe that if I had never demanded the u/s and got in their face with it, that I would have had to deal with gallstones for a long time.

The surgery was not that bad...only a 3 day recover and it's not like I was chained to a bed. The scars are really small and the recovery was honestly a breeze compared to the horrible pain I had while passing gallstones.

I hope your dr's find what's wrong... I know how the pain is and I wish you a speedy solution and recovery regardless of what it is!! Take care!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Marcie (29) & Melvin (39)

Met/Soy Miracle!
    Kaden Melvin - 10/15/09 8lbs13oz 22in via C-section 40w2d
    WE ARE SO HAPPY, SO BLESSED!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for all the stories. I'm beginning to think more and more about it being my gallbladder. I told DH that the pain was worse than contractions! He actually had the nerve to tell me that I didn't know what pain was since he has dealt with ulcer pain before. That was until I reminded him that I labored without any pain meds before getting the epidural, ha. I just hope I don't have to wait very long for releif.
    Starlite

Me-28, DH-29

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have a calcified gallstone and it was actually found by accident. I went in for a ct scan of the lungs and they found that along with a few other things. Anyhow, it does sound like you have have a stone. I have terrible stomach pains all in my upper stomach and a sharp pain right under the right ribcage. I am also extremely gassy and that is not normal for me. I need to see a gastro something (really bad with all the different types of Drs).

I also take vicoden for the pain but all it does is take the edge off. Anything I eat aggravates the situation. The other day the pain was so severe that I threw up everything and had to lay on a bunch of pillows while on my belly just to get a tiny bit of relief. That episode lasted over 5 hours and was physically exhausting.

Registered User livelaughlove...often's Avatar
    Thanks

I truly think you have gallbladder problems. I had mine out in 1999 after i passed out in the shower. i was having the pain for 6 months straight and my doctor didnt believe me and just said i was exagerating the pain and that it wasnt that bad. I then started to vomit daily and I went in to take a shower to relieve the pain (hopefully) and I ended up waking up in the back of an ambulance. Later that evening after all the tests they told me i had gall disease and it was so bad that my white count was 40,000 which then ended up attacking my pancreas and giving me pancreatitis...i spent 7 days in ICU and then had my gallbladder out and everything started going back to normal. My story is different then yours but as you can see demand testing and dont take NO for an answer. If it is let go to long then you can end up with more problems and you dont want that trust me. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Thanks

If it's an ulcer, a blood test for hyperlori can confirm it or rule it out.
    Symptoms: Obesity, Hirsutism, Hair Loss, Irregular Menstruation, Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism, Acid Reflux, Acanthosis Nigricans

Daily Medications/Vitamins: 500 mg Flutamide, 137 mcg Synthroid, 1000 mg Metformin, Apri (BCPs),
    40 mg Omaprezole, 300 mg Ranitidine, .5 mg Enapril, Zyrtec, Women's Ultramega Multivitamin

Weight Stats: Original: 230, Current: 209, Short/Long Term Goals: 200/130
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I think that's what my dr said part of the bloodwork was testing for. They took like 4 viles, so not exactly sure what all they're doing. Hopefully the results of that will be this afternoon. That would be 48hrs. Who knows though.

I did notice that the whites of my eyes are a yellowish color. At first thought it was my imagination from reading too much, but asked DH if he saw anything weird with my eyes without saying what I thought I saw and he said he did see they were a little yellow. Also, when I pee, it's kinda bright yellow and sometimes orange. I didn't think too much of it before, but it's been like that since before the pain I had last Wed. Wondering if it has anything to do with what's going on.

Less than 24 hrs and I'll have my u/s. I just really hope that they can tell me something right then. I doubt it though. Usually it's just a tech doing the u/s and they have to send to the dr to read it.
    Starlite

Me-28, DH-29

Hidden Content

Thanks

With everybody I've known whose had gall bladder problems, consistently the pain has been in the upper right quadrant of the body, just below their breast which does sound consisistent with what you've been experiencing.

But when you mentioned the yellow of the eyes I thought liver. Then I looked at this diagram http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/bodydiagram.htm and saw that the liver is in that general area as well.

If your doctor's attention has not been brought to the yellow in eyes, do let him know.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Being a GI nurse, I interact and care for people with liver, gall-bladder and all sorts of problems with stomach and digestion issues, here are a few FACTS and treatments you should be familiar with to be prepared!
    You should be seeing a Gastroenterologist, BTW, as they are experts in dealing with these issues.
    Peptic ulcers are very common, caused by many things, meds, stress, alcohol use, bacteria (h.pylori bacteria) you can be tested for h.pylori with a blood test, or biopsy taken directly from your stomach (simple and painless). You may also have gastritis, or erosions (pre-ulcers). These conditions can only be confirmed by having a gastroscopy (a thin flexible scope passed down your throat through the stomach and also looks at the first 1/3 of the small bowel) You would be sedated and your throat would be numbed for the procedure. I saw that you said that you are taking Vicodin, this is an irritant and can make things worse if you have ulcers or gastritis, if it was me I would stop the Vicodin. During the procedure, the doc also looks at the ampilla-(opening of the common bile duct into the small bowel, this is connected to your gall bladder) and if there is an abnormality like an infection or pus coming from there then they should be able to see it.
    Gall Bladder-An MRCP or ERCP is diagnostic or therapeutic depending on what they do during the procedure (just like a scope, but the doc actually goes into the common bile duct and can remove stones, sludge or make the opening bigger to help relieve a stricture or help faciliate bile drainage) Alot of times this helps the patient enough to avoid surgery. Fatty foods will make gall bladder issues worse!! Dont be dismissed by an impatient doctor!!! You have to be your own advocate!!! Long post, but i hope this helps you or anybody else!!!
    me-Rita (25) DH Jose (29)Hidden Content
    dx PCOS at 16/dx IR 8/08/ dx1/2010 MTHFR C667T
    TTC since 2006
    11/08 IVF cycle #1 -BFN
    06/09 IVF cycle #2-BFN
    11 embryos waiting on ice!

Hidden Content Rita Hidden Content