Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Wow - Tons of great information. Thanks guys.

"Good luck!
    Feel free to stop and ask questions with us Diva's! There are girls there who have had all the surgeries, and quite a few who are soon to be mommies or mommies only because of their WLS. "

I will check this out. Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here is a video on PCOS and the Mini Gastric Bypass:

http://www.soulcysters.net/vbtube_sh...id=21&t=249779

Thanks

He explains that very well.
    Dianne
    Wife to Bill 9/17/1994
    Mom to Taylor 13, Morgan 9 , Eliana 7, and Ashlyn 3
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I had the gastric bypass surgery about 2 months ago. I have not had a period in over a decade with out forcing one with medication.3 times a year I had to force one.
    Since the surgery, amazingly I have had 2 periods on my own. I did mention this to the surgion who did my surgery, he did mention that this is common for the surgery to cure the PCOS. good luck.

Thanks

I too have had success with WLS. I had lap RNY (commonly known as gastric bypass) on 8/3/04 so I'm almost 4 years post op. I've followed my surgeons guidelines and here I sit at nearly 4 years post op STILL at goal. Sure, I've had a little rebound weight gain...but it's for a good reason. I'm pregnant with my 2nd post op child...something that before I had surgery I thought for sure that would never happen for me (being a mom). Like many cysters on here I've dieted...and dieted...and dieted some more. I've done Weight Watchers (had the most success with 34lbs lost in 2 years), prescription diet pills, Atkins, South Beach, the PCOS diet, the IR diet, grapefruit juice diet, no red meat diet, cutting carbs, cutting sugar, upping exercise. Nothing worked for me. My body did NOT want to loose weight. After 10+ years of all this I gave up and opted for WLS with the advice of my endocrinologist who was treating my PCOS & diabetes.

Having WLS is the best decision I've ever made for myself. I can do things now I never could do before. Gone are my diabetes/IR, severe sleep apnea, infertility & body pain. I can climb 4 flights of stairs to get to class with no pain. I can tie my shoes without turning red in the face and being short of breath. I can sit in a booth without my boobs sitting on the table! But most of all...I have my health. It's quite sad when you're 27 and your doctor calls you a "medical disaster" for your age. I was 27 and felt like I was 57. Now not only do I have my health & energy but I'm a mom. My DD will be 2 next month and we're expecting baby #2 come December.

Would I do this again? Yes. Will I have to? No. My RNY is a tool and it still works. I follow my surgeons guidelines and eat healthy & keep up on my vitamins. WLS (any kind) is not easy. It takes dedication and determination. Remember that WLS is a tool...not a cure.

Kat has asked us on the WLS DIVAS thread to compile a FAQ regarding WLS and we're almost done. Soon it will be posted for anyone who is interested in WLS.

Kristy

Kristy (35) & Adam (38) & DDs Alice Kay & Amanda Kay
    Founding WLS DIVA - RNY 8/3/04
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to goddess819 For This Useful Post:

Meliza (05-10-2011)

Thanks

WLS helps with weight loss....there are several of us that are a few years out from our WLS and have all the same PCOS issues we had before, except we are at a healthier weight. I am not being negative, but WLS is a big deal and it's not a magic pill that cures PCOS, it helps on several levels, and some of the symptoms are lessened, but still there.

PCOS Cyster For Life! Jennifer Marshall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

My doctor also told me that I was unable to have WLS because my body would still produce the weight because of my PCOS. I would like to lose some weight, and in all honesty, Dieting never helped me before, and I don't know what else to do... What diet pills work, and what ones dont?
    Jenny (22) Hidden Content 's John (23)
    Happily Monogamous since: Nov. 23, 2013
    PCOS Dx: 2006; Type-2 Diabetes Dx: 2012

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

The weight comes on because fat cells store hormones and in turn create more hormones that add to weight gain....part of the PCOS cycle which makes loosing weight so hard for us. I can say that I had a pretty severe case of PCOS. I never ovulated, not even with meds, I never had a period on my own, and I could never loose more than 20lb no matter how hard I tried. Now here I sit...7 years post op gastric bypass...less than 5 lbs from my ideal weight of 140 and the proud mom of 2 children...both of which would NOT be here had it not been for my WLS.

Diet pills are a temporary fix. You might loose some weight with them (I was only able to loose 30lb over a year taking them)...but as soon as you stop taking them the weight will come back. And lets not forget the cardiac side effects many of them have. Over time you could damage your heart. Does weight gain happen post op. Sure. But it's because those who had it done return to old eating habits and stop following their surgeons guidelines. WLS is a tool, not a cure. Just as diet pills are a tool and not a cure, WLS is just a healthier option than diet pills. Just my humble opinion....
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I talked to my mother about WLS. I would have to go to the hospital in Chicago for 6months to get ready for it and then have the surgery. I think I might do it! But am afraid at the same time! Could it bring my chances of TTC down the line higher?

Hidden Content

Thanks

It did for me. I went through 8 years of failed fertility treatments. I was resistant to Clomid and even responded poorly to injectables. I'd seriously about given up on ever being a mom. I had WLS in hopes that it would help me be a mom...in addition to getting my health and weight in control. I had diabetes, IR, sleep apnea and high blood pressure. Well...by a year post op all of that was gone. At 16 months post op my DH and I decided to not use protection...I immediately got pregnant with DD1. I carried her to term and delivered her 10 years after we'd first started to have kids. Then when she was 1.5 yr I had my IUD pulled and the next month was pregnant with DD2. Both myself and my OB who did my clomid treatments believe that had it not been for my gastric bypass surgery that I would not have had my kids. I think that if you're ready to commit to the lifestyle changes that come with WLS that it's the way to go. It's not easy, but if you're ready it's soooo worth it.

GL! Kristy
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

....Could you by chance tell me some things about it? Like what changes need to take place and etc? I'd really like to consider it...

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am going thru the process of gastric bypass right now. I should have my surgery date soon. My doctor told me this will really help me especially with pcos. and being able to have a child in a few years. im SO excited. =) people keep telling me this is the easy way out when really it is harder. My mom had it done, as well as my grandmother, and they both had great success. if I have HALF the success they have I will be so happy.

Thing is, im not having it to lose weight. Thats just a plus for me. Im having it with intention of making myself better from the inside out. my BP, my knees, my feet, my depression, my insomnia. Everything will be so much better to manage if I dont have all this weight on my shoulders (literally) Im so happy! =)
    'The stars are always there But we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms.
    Tell them to remember hope...We have hope.'

Hidden Content Add Me =]
    [But tell me who you are pleasee]
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Finally Got A Furbaby! <3 King Louie-Dalmatian/American Bulldog

Mommy &amp; WLS Diva goddess819's Avatar
    Thanks

The mental changes are different for everyone. Part of it is dealing with the such small amt of food that you can now take in as opposed to before. You'll go from eating a huge plate of food...to maybe...1/2 an ounce early out. Seriously...that's like 1/2 a cheese stick. A good rule of thumb I went by was 1oz per month post op. So at 1m post op I was eating 1oz of food...2m post op...2oz. Now at 7yrs out how much I eat depends on how long I take to eat and what I'm eating but average between 1/2 and 1 cup of food. It helps to eat off a toddler plate using toddler spoons and forks. Small plate + small amt of food = full looking plate and it helps the mental aspect. It's just easier. Secondly you'll go through the physical changes...but won't really see it when you look in the mirror. For a long time I saw myself heavier than I actually was. Like at 3m post op when I'd lost 50lb...I still saw the same preop me. What helped was pictures. As much as I hated being in pictures having a preop picture to compare to really helped. I did pictures each month in the same preop clothes. It was the only way I could see the differences...by both the way the clothes fit and by holding the current picture right next to the pre op one. Even to this day I have my preop jeans. I still have fat days even at 142lbs...and to help I put on my old jeans...helps remind me how far I've come. There are more than that...but by joining a support group it will help because although you can have all the support from nonWLS friends/family no one really knows what you're going trough than someone who's been there.

Beccerrrr - Congrats. What surgery are you having? RNY? Sounds like you totally know what you're getting in to with your family having had surgery as well. Good luck and congrats!! Don't forget to take measurements & pictures pre op and then monthly after...it'll help you see the weight loss. I bet you can't wait to be a skinny bride! I was a 'fat' bride when I got married nearly 15 yrs ago...maybe at our 20th we'll renew vows and I can be a skinny bride. GL!!

Kristy
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thank you! My doctor said by the time the wedding comes around, I should have lost about 100lbs! I cant imagine!
    'The stars are always there But we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms.

Hidden Content Add Me =]
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, If you go to a nutritionist, they will help you get all the nutrients you need to have a healthy pregnancy. They told me it was safe. & I believe them, they know that the main reason I had surgery was so I could eventually have kids....Of course people are going to speculate. Don't they about everything? ha.

Hidden Content Add Me =]
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content