Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Bicycle seat for big butts:).....

Ok ladies, now that I have my pedometer issue solved (and it's en route to me as we speak), I need a bicycle seat that is suited for plus-sizers. My crotch/butt was KILLING me after my ride today. Although this doesn't keep me from riding, I would like to be more comfortable.

Any suggestions?
    Me -29 Hidden Content DH-30

Thanks

Are you wearing the padded bicycle shorts? They really make a difference. I have an Italian Selle San Marco racing saddle on my bike, yet with the shorts, it's very comfortable. You might not have to get a new seat if you are wearing good padded shorts. Terry bicycles makes them in plus sizes, too! I have some Belwether shorts in XL that were inexpensive and have served me well for almost 3 years.
    I order them from teamestrogen, which is a great company run by women with all kinds of bike and sports clothes for women:
    Here's a link to them

http://www.teamestrogen.com

Otherwise, check out the seats with the cutout in the middle. I hear they are comfortable. Terry bicycles makes good ones, I hear.

But, don't get TOO wide a seat. I had a very wide one on my exercise bike and it spread my hipbones way to wide and was very uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Kathryn
    Last edited by KlassicalKat; 06-10-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typos! typos!

Thanks

I have to say, watch out for the "tractor" style seats. I took my old seat off and put one of those on and I would have rather had the crotch pain than the wierdness of that whole contraption... I think if you bike enough, you "hoo hoo" will toughen up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsae View Post
    ...I think if you bike enough, you "hoo hoo" will toughen up
    Yes, that is true...the more you bike, the more it toughens up the "hoo hoo"!

Kathryn

Mommy of My One & Only elocinintherain's Avatar
    Thanks

I was able to find this "squishy" seat cover at wal-mart. It is made from a jel stuff that is similar to those squishy pillows/massagers/stress balls. It really helped take the bite out of riding for me. It wasn't that expensive, and it just slips over the regular seat and ties underneath.

Niki (27) Hidden Content DH (36)
    Hidden Content
    We've started our own blog: Hidden Content

Thanks

I have to say, watch out for the "tractor" style seats. I took my old seat off and put one of those on and I would have rather had the crotch pain than the wierdness of that whole contraption... I think if you bike enough, you "hoo hoo" will toughen up
    HAHAHAA! Glad to know my "hoo hoo" will toughen up! lol.
    Thanks everyone for your input....I'm going to check out that website. I thought of padded bike shorts but didn't think they made them in plus sizes. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZA08 View Post
    I'm going to check out that website. I thought of padded bike shorts but didn't think they made them in plus sizes. Thanks
    You will see a link to team estrogen's Plus sizes page on the main page. There's not a ton of stuff, but there is enough shorts, tights, and knickers to be sufficient. I really like the Terry brand. I can wear an XXL in reg. or a 1X in the plus. They seem the same size.

As for the Terry company...look for clothes and seats there, too. I get the Terry catalog and there's a variety of nice plus size bike clothes in there. Cute stuff. It's fun to get the quarterly catalog and see what's new. You can see the bike seats (called saddles in the bike world) that have the cut-outs for your "hoo hoo", too on the Terry site!

http://www.terrybicycles.com

Kathryn
    Last edited by KlassicalKat; 06-11-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: gotta add some more info. for ya!

Thanks

what, does nobody else say "hoo hoo?"

Thanks

LOL, Chelsae! I think it's a great term!
    Actually my DH and I have referred to it as "hoo hah"...maybe it's different for different regions (especially the "nether regions"....hah!) of the country!

Kathryn

Thanks

I do now!!!! LMAO

Better Than I Deserve... lj2blessed's Avatar
    Thanks

Yayyy, so glad this question was asked ! Looking at those sites now...
    Mama to
    Imani "Faith" 4/09 and Ahmed "Worthy of Praise" 7/11
    Dx PCOS - 2001 *** BCP free since 2/07

I have PCOS...but PCOS doesn't have me!

Join me at Hidden Content !

Thanks

Kathryn...help! Ok, so I'm trying to decide between the T-short Plus on the Terry website and the Shebeest S-Short on the Team Estrogen website. The Shebeest looks like it may be more cushy, but I wasn't sure if you had personal experience with either that you could share with me.
    And.....they're so expensive!!! Are they worth it? Thanks!!!

Thanks

OMG, those ARE expensive!
    I have two pairs of the Terry tights. It was an investment, but I LIVE in them in the fall, spring and Winter and they were worth it. I would like more pairs of them, but I agree that the cost is high.

As far as shorts, maybe it would be better to find a less expensive pair to start out with. Some of the less expensive brands seem just as good as the fancier. What size do you think you would need? I can fit into the XL Bellwether "02" shorts. (I'm about a size 16, . with about a 35 in. waist). Even they have gone up. They used to be $19. I bought three pairs of those about three years ago and still wear them all summer. They work fine and are comfortable.
    Here's a link to them.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=34263

I like my Terry tights because the chamois (padding) in them is just right...not too thin, but not too thick and "diapery". I would like to get the shorts because they have the same chamois as the tights. Good grief, they are expensive, though. However, if you really plan to bike for distances longer than 5 miles at a time, I feel they might be worth it. I take an XXL or 1X in the Terry sizing. They seem the same size, so if they are charging less for the XXL, I get that. It's a shame how people charge more for plus sizes!

I have never tried Shebeest shorts, although I have some Shebeest jerseys. Sadly, I can't wear them anymore because they are tapered in the waist and I've gained some weight lately. So, I am not sure how their waist sizes would run in shorts, but they do make beautiful clothing.

Also, SoulCyster tithers is a spokesperson for some cute bike shorts with skirts over them. I am thinking of trying them. You might PM her for more information. She rides bikes, does marathons and everything and might know a lot about this. I'll PM her to look up your post here.
    I think they come in plus sizes, too.
    If you mention her code, you get a discount: This is on the bottom of her signature:

Wanna Look CUTE while working out? CONVERT TO SKIRT!
    Save 15% off at www.skirtsports.com
    Discount code: SHERRYC

I hope this helps. I will keep on the lookout for you for more info.

Kathryn

Thanks

Heya!!!!!!!!!!

Did you decide on a saddle?

I use the Terry Gel TI saddle. They have a cut-out for your hoohoo.

What I like about Terry is they have a 30 day try-out period...you can get your $ back through them...

I do Ironman Triathlons and have ridden 8 century rides on in...another in 2 weeks...

A fat saddle will cause rubbing issues when you peddle.

A fat butt shouldn't matter too much...it's where your sit bones hit the saddle.

One important thing you'll need is some chamois cream to protect your girly parts and prevent chafing along the seams.

Oh...and when you ride in shorts...you go commando!
    Feel free to ask about surgial options for weight loss!

Finisher! Ironman Florida, 14:19:35
    Finisher! Ironman Lake Placid, 16: 09:09
    Finisher! Ironman Arizona, 15: 05:51

Thanks

Tithers....
    Thanks for the info! Good to know fat saddles (yeah, I'm calling them saddles now like I actually know what I'm talking about....lol) are not good...I would have thought they would be more comfy, but what you said makes sense! And where do I get chamois cream...can I get it in a store, or just online?