Thanks

Question What does the ultrasound of your ovaries say...

I am just wondering because one doctor saw this report and said "healthy, normal size - great reserve" and the other doctor said "PCOS". How can there be two different interpretations to the same report... So, I was just wondering what other people's ultrasound reports said...

Quote:

The left ovary measures 3.0 x 1.8 x 2.9 cm. There are multiple small
    peripheral ovarian follicles. No complex cystic or solid masses are
    identified. There is normal color Doppler flow.

The right ovary measures 2.9 x 1.9 x 2.9 cm. There are multiple small
    peripheral ovarian follicles. No complex cystic or solid masses are
    identified. There is normal color Doppler flow.

Impression:

2. There are multiple small peripheral follicles in both ovaries.
    Correlate with clinical evidence of polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Thanks

Freckles - People with PCOS have a large amount of immature follicles (eggs that have not fully developed) sitting in their ovaries. Someone without PCOS only has a few of them, one fully develops and the others shrink away. Your report is basically saying that your ovaries look healthy and a normal size but you have multiple immature follicles which is a symptom of PCOS.

My ultrasounds consisently show tons and tons of immature follicles, like over 30 on one ovary and over 20 on the other and I'd also have large cysts every few months. My ovaries are also enlarged.

I wouldn't read much into it. Some doctors believe that if you reduce the number of follicles it balances out your hormones and gives you a greater chance of conceiving. They think the number of immature follicles has to do with insulin production and your diet. Metformin has been shown to reduce the number of follicles.

Anyway, it's just a tool that doctors use to diagnose patients, but it does not determine whether you can conceive or not.

Thanks

You can have "normal-sized" ovaries with "great reserve" that are still consistent with PCOS. The "great reserve" one doc was referring to is the multiple small peripheral follicles (assuming each of these follicles contains an immature egg). But these are also the characteristics of PCOS. Most PCOS ovaries are normal-sized to only slightly "fuller," and your measurements are within the normal range. A lot of docs say that PCOSers are "super fertile" because of all of our eggs ready to go, but it's just a matter of getting us to OVULATE those many eggs.

In other words, the docs don't contradict themselves.

I posted at the same time as Rose. Yeah, what she said!
    Whitney, 33

After soy, Femara, Follistim, an ectopic pregnancy, and IVF, FINALLY BFP 8/08 -- twins -- but lost baby B at 7 weeks
    Preterm labor at 25 weeks... baby boy is here safely at 36w3d!

Hidden Content

Thanks

From what it sounds like to me, the shape/size of your ovaries is normal and healthy. The "multiple small peripheral ovarian follicles" is usually what is used as one of the factors in determining PCOS.
    My ovaries are usually in the normal size range, with a handful of follicle cysts. During my recent surgery, my ovaries where actually "smooth and clear" according to the surgeon.
    Me
    DSS 5/30/04 (always will be mine)

Baby Aspirin
    HSG 8/26/08 - right fimbria congested with hydrosalpinx
    Ectopic PG 4/23/08 (8 wks) Salpingectomy 4/23/08 (left)
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thank you guys! That actually makes me feel a lot better. So, either way it is going to take something to get those eggs moving on to ovulation. My "healthy" doctor made me feel like if there weren't multiple follicles that would be a problem - no reserve. He also wants me to go off the pill and see if my pituitary will "wake up". While the "PCOS" doctor wants me to stay on the pill and he can "make me ovulate"... I guess now I need to choose a doctor - and I don't like as much the PCOS doctor (strange vibe) but he is much more open to PCOS and the role it will play in our efforts to conceive... So, I feel inclined to lean towards him because for so long no one would say exactly what my problem was or that I even had a problem.