Thanks

Default Does anyone have melasma or brown spots

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS due to elevated DHEA-S and elevated prolaction. In additon to the frontal balding, I have a big stomach and brown splotches (liver spots, melasma) on my cheeks. Does anyone else have the melasma? I know that the apple shape and the hairloss is common.

Also, has anyone been tested for adrenal hyperplasia?

Thanks

90-Day Bootcamp Cyster! Polly13's Avatar
    Thanks

(raises hand)

I have melasma on my face... primarily my forehead and a little bit on my cheeks. I can't stand it!
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Diagnosed: May 2007

Hidden Content

Registered User somebodysangel23's Avatar
    Thanks

I have had pcos since i can remember, and was offically dignosed at the age of 18. I have these spots, on my arms, shoulders, and chest. When it gets bad, it goes up my neck. It is not a pretty thing, and i have read it may be caused my insulin resistance. (not too sure how accurate that is). I just want to say that don't tan to get rid of them. My spots are disappearing (unknown why or how) but it still looks like they're there due to the fact of tanning during the summer (the brown spots don't tan). Pcos can be a very difficult thing to deal with. But do not believe your drs when they tell you that you can't have children. I have a beautiful two year old that would contrict that.

Thanks

Default Melasma cream recommended by dr

Hi there,

I also have melasma altho, i never knew that was what it was called until i described my frustrations with my skin changing color (and texture, but i guess that's a different problem--AN, maybe?) and the doc said that i shud try something over the counter first as it may work and will allow me to avoid any side effects that rx meds would cause. She recommended something called PORCELANA and said it should be sold at walmart or any retail drugstore. FYI, i have kaiser and checked there--they don't carry it.

One thing i wanted to mention is that i tried to get laser hair removal about 3 years ago. i was told that during the process, i shud apply sunscreen everyday. i got into a really good habit of applying it but about a year or two ago, i stopped applying the sunscreen and that's about the time i started noticing the brown spots. I mentioned this to my doc and she said i would need to use porcelana to get rid of the current spots and sunscreen to prevent future ones. hope this helps someone. PM me if you ever wanna chat
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content In a relationship Hidden Content
    Current Diet: nothing specific, but I'm tracking on livestrong.com (formerly The Daily Plate) Come join me!
    Other Maladies: AN, Skin Tags, Discoloration of Skin, Apple Shape (ugh).
    Rx: Yasmin and Metformin (2000mg) Dx: January 2005