Thanks

Question Just how much can you reverse PCOS?

I heard that through weight loss, diet, and exercise you can reverse/reduce a lot of the symptoms. I am 18 and most of my symptoms I can deal with, or can be treated by a prescription. However, I want to get to the point where most things are under control without daily perscriptions (and constant hair removal).

How successful have you been?

Also, besides diabetes, what does PCOS increase your risk for?
    Last edited by chrissy-tina; 07-20-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks

Hiya, well I have been on a new lifestyle for a year, lost all the excess weight and things seems good. I even got a natural period. All my hormone levels are normal and in a couple of months I will go for another scan to see if I still have cysts. So yes, it can be done.

I think covering up things with chemicals is fine, but if you plan to have kids its better to get it under control before you wan them than when you want them. Or at least thats my personal opinion. Good luck with whatever road you chose!

There are loads of added things that PCOS contributes, one I have is high cholesterol.
    DXD 1998
    On Dianette 1998 - March 2008 - now drug free!

1 partner - been together 4 years
    1 daughter born 6 weeks early, tiny but perfect! Hidden Content

3 furbabies - ollie, casper and bailey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy-tina View Post
    IAlso, besides diabetes, what does PCOS increase your risk for?
    Well for me my blood sugar is great, it's just I've got horrible high blood pressure caused by my PCOS. I never even thought about my salt intake, until I got headaches and felt like crap all the time, which was all brought on my this problem. Also fatty liver seems to be another gift PCOS brings it's victims. >.<

Thanks

Well, it's different for everybody, but generally losing excess weight will reduce symptoms (periods should get more regular, less hair, less IR, less acne, etc. etc.), but probably not entirely. Articles and (my) doctor's used to say that PCOS was "basically reversable through weight loss" but this is not true anymore. It's just that PCOSers are prone to be overweight because of IR, and being overweight happens to make all of your symptoms worse. So losing weight will get rid of the annoying symptoms hopefully, but remember there are thin cysters out there too--who've always been thin and still have problems, or who lost weight and still have issues.

Also, besides diabetes and weight issues PCOS puts you at increased risk for a number of things. See this webpage by the university of Chicago's Center for PCOS: http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/pcos/risks.html

Basically, puts you at risk for: fertility issues, insulin resistance/pre-diabetes (both issues that will probably show up before developing diabetes), having high LDL (lousy cholesterol) and low HDL (healthy cholestoral),--this imbalance also leads to an increased risk for cardiovascular disease (aka heart disease), atheroslcerosis (hardening of the arteries), high blood pressure, and some women also experience sleep apnea.

Also, see this article for info on atherosclerosis and heart disease: http://www.soulcysters.net/young-obe...isease-252231/

Thanks

Forgot to add: Endometrial cancer if you aren't having regular periods, but bcps or getting your period induced helps lessen the risk.

Anyone seen my hormones? one-hit_wonder's Avatar
    Thanks

I've gotten rid of all my symptoms (except for 'unexplained' infertility) through diet and exercise. It took a few years, but it worked.

You're at an increased risk of lots of stuff: miscarriages, strokes, diabetes, and more. But if you manage the condition, the risks go waaaay down, of course.

Good luck!
    Hidden Content Severe male factor and borderline PCOS.

IVF/ICSI/AH #2

Baby is cooking...

Hidden Content