Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question metformin and spotting/ light period??

hi, I started metformin 5 days ago, have not had any diarrhea or the sickness others have had, but the next day after the first dose, started a light spotting, almost like a period, however I have a week left on my current yasmin birth control dose for this month (before it gets to the inactive pills at the end of the pack). I am on 1500 mg a day.

does the bleeding lessen, and quick soon? is this a side effect, or is something wrong?

Hidden Content Hidden Content I love my husband, Brandon.

Hidden Content

Thanks

I have the same problem I think. I started metformin this month while still taking yasmin, and then I started having a brown discharge around the same time as you. I was supposed to get my period today but I didn't, which is the first time in a few months that it hasn't been on time, though the brownish stuff has been getting heavier. I'm very confused. Is this due to met or is something else going on?

Thanks

I have been on Met for almost 6 months now. My first month on it, I experienced what you are - a very light period starting a week too early (a week before my inactive pills). Then the second month, I didn't even get my period. My doctor said that it's normal for the Met to do that...and that for women on a very low hormone bcp, it's normal to have a very light period. FYI- if you're like me - I go some months with a very light period/nonexistent, some where it was really early, and then some where it was much heavier. I had always been exactly on time for years while being on the same bcp before Met.
    Hope that helps answer your question!
    Me~26 DH~ 29
    DX March 2008

Meds: Metformin, Fish Oil

Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm not on Yaz, but had the same spotting problem about 3 weeks after I started met (1500mg). I had brown spotting for about 4 days, then nothing. I got excited and thought I was starting my period for the first time in a long time, but I don't think it was an actual period. I'm wondering how common this is, and if it's to be expected.

Thanks

I had the same problem. I really wish someone could answer this question. I am ttc so this is really frustrating.

Thanks

im having the same exact problem.. spotting for a couple of days. . although i am also getting major nausea and some cramping and diarehhea. .. im gonna ask my dr tomorrow. being on met is just making me feel sick. eh!

Thanks

I'm not on BCP, but got the brown-then pink-then brown light period two months in a row. The first month was right on time (I'd taken progesterone the month before, previously I had nothing), the second was a week early, and this month is late by two days. My doctor isn't overly concerned; sometimes the Met can take several months to really adjust the body. Still, an explanation would be wonderful, though there may not really be one.

Thanks

Hi guys, i too have PCOS and have been on metformin and yaz for about a month and 1/2. Anyways, i didn't start my metformin and yaz until i started my peroid. Yes metformin will make you have an upset belly until you get used to it. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT WITH A MEAL! I am on 1500 mg metformin and have no problems as long as i space them out (2 times a day 750mg each). Take your pill at the same time each day! I just finished my first pack of yaz and have been spotting now for 13 days! Wish it would stop lol. Hubby and i have been TTC for a year now and nothing yet. Trying to tough out this illness that metformin gives me (sugar lows), since i am not diabetic. BABY DUST TO ALL

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Hey.. mee tooo!!

Geez.. I wish the doc would have told me more about this Met. I feel so crappy.. and I have that weird brown discharge also. I have been on it for only two weeks yesterday. I thought it may have been my first period in a while, but now its disappeared again. Oh well. I know that everyone says the symptoms get better.. but its taking so much out of me. I'm exhausted. I feel so bloated.. started off with diarreah, and now constipation... ick. My sugars are low and i'm sleepy, so I eat a little sugar.. then I crash and feel sick. I feel like its lose lose. Also, its so hard to feel sexy, and even like TTC when you feel this way. Also, when you have a random period ??? or not.. I have no idea where in my cycle i'm at. .. should I suck it up and TTC, or is it useless. I need help. More advice ladies.. please keep it coming.

Thanks

First off if your sugars are low STEER CLEAR of sugar, go for protein.. like cheese or peanut butter.. even grab a snack that has lots of protein.. ok second off i have been on Metformin now for almost 3 months, and i still get diarrhea every morning.. I think its because i am not IR! I started off the same way you did but now i know that with my pill I have to have protein.. and you will find that it is easier on your belly if you do to.. Give it a shot and see if that helps you out! Everytime you feel your sugar is low grab protein and let me know if it helps.. it might take a few days to help balance your sugars. Good Luck and stick with it

Thanks

Okay, so in early November, the doctor presribed metformin for me. 500mg, 2 times per day. And I took it for a month and then stopped in late december. On Jan26, I started seeing pinkish brown discharge. Had discharge for 5 days (the prinkish brown) and then today, 1/30 - I had thought I was done, but no and behold, it seems like it's become a period instead of the pinkish brown discharge. This will be the first period that I've had in over a year. To be perfectly honest, I think this is the first time in 5 years that I've had a natural period without any help (i.e., bc pills or provera or clomid.) I honestly believe that it was the Metformin. I called my doctor and he said that Metformin does not work overnight. He also said that I shouldn't stop taking Metformin and that it is probably working if I'm able to get a period naturally. I know this sounds weird, but getting my period naturally is almost as good as finding a big fat +. When I was smaller (size 5-ish) I would get my period naturally, but since I've gained about 25-30 pounds in the last 10 years or so (and is now a size 11), my period has been wacked. Anyhow, I don't know how relevant this information is, but I just wanted to share my stories.

Thanks

OKAY. iVE GOT A QUESTION. fIRST LET ME SAY THAT IVE PRETTY MUCH HAD MY PERIOD EVERY MOONTH BETWEEN 28-35 DAYS. i ONLY SKIPPED ONE MONTH LAST YEAR AND HAD IT TWICE IN oCTOBER. i WAS PUT ON METFORMIN 3 WEEKS AGO.MY PERIOD WAS DUE AS ALWAYS ON THE 8TH BUT I GOT IT ON THE 9TH. I HAVE SOME MILD CRAMPS BUT THE PERIOD IS SO LITE THAT I ONLY SEE IT WHEN I WIPE.IS THIS NORMAL? ALSO,HOW LONG DOES THIS BLOATING SIDE AFFECT LAST? ACCORDING TO THE SCALE I DID NOT GAIN WEIGHT BT I FEEL LIKE I GAINED 20 POUNDS DUE TO THE BLOATING. IS IT WORSE DURING YOUR CYCLE. IM TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND ALSO THINKING OF HAVING A BABY IN THE FUTURE.SOUNDS CRAZY I KNOW. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY ARE JUST ON MET AND WHAT I SHOULD EXPECT? IM ONLY TAKING 500 MG OF THE MET ER. THANKS LADIES.

Thanks

I am on my second week of met and i'm taking 1000 mg once a day right now but am working my way up to 2500mg everyday I am also on Yaz and I started that the sunday after I started my period which was provera induced. I am STILL on my Period It's day 19 and I'm soooo very tired of it. Has anyone encountered this with the yaz and Met

Thanks

I'm curious to know if anyone has talked to their doctors about this particular symptom (spotting/discharge). I called my endocrinologist this morning and was flatly told Metformin doesn't cause spotting or discharge, and that I should call my GYN (which I've done--the appt's tomorrow). My initial reaction to the endocrinologist wasn't great, so I'm looking for a new doctor, but in the mean time I need to see *yet another* new doctor tomorrow, so that someone can help me figure out how worried I should be.

For the record, I'm on Metaformin only, and I've only been on it for a week. The spotting began 2 days ago.

Wishing On A Miracle babydust89's Avatar
    Thanks

i also have this problem i am now 11 days late i have a period every month and since been on metformin my periods have been every 28 days but this month my period hasnt come and now its 11 days later i also stopped taking metformin because i was on holiday because i kept having to use the toilet even though i do take my pills with food i still get this side effect =/ and now i have like really bad stomach cramps and i have some light period like spotting its only there when i wipe my self but not there every time =/ i am late and i have had PCOS for 3 years now and i am trying to conceive but even though im late i aint took a pregnancy test yet because the negatives dissapoint me now =/