Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default low back pain as a symptom of PCOS

Does anyone have low back pain as a symptom of PCOS?

I've lived with PCOS for years (was diagnosed over 10 years ago) and have never had this as a symptom but I'm starting to suspect it now.

About 6 months ago I started to have a dull ache in my lower back. It's pretty constant, but sometimes it's worse than others. The pain is in the center of my lower back, but sometimes it extends all the way around to my ovary area. It leaves my back very stiff and sometimes it is uncomfortable even to sit!

At first, I thought the low back pain was a result of a dance injury (I take dance class 2 times a week) but even when I stopped going for a couple of weeks there was no relief. I've seen a chiropractor (that only provided very temorary relief) as well as a massage theripist (didn't help). I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with my back at all, but rather is a symptom of PCOS (perhaps some cysts are growing??). I've scheduled a Dr's appointment to have an ultrasound to check out the cysts.

Does anyone else experience back pain as a result of PCOS?
    TTC #1 Since April 2005
    1000mg of met July 05 - Nov 05
    1500mg of met started Dec 05
    1st round of Clomid Jan 06 - no O
    metformin/puregon - May 06 - BFN
    Various homeopathic remedies & naturopathic treatmentsJuly 06 - Sept 08
    FINALLY GOT MY BFP!!! March 2009

Thanks

I have low back pain, but not for sure if its PCOS related!!!
    Me (25) DH (30)
    DD 2-13-03
    DS 4-10-06
    Dx 9-3-08

Current Meds
    Synthroid 100 mcg daily
    Metformin 2000 mg daily

Hidden Content

Thanks

I have pain, but not exactly in my center lower back. Sometimes I have a little pain in the lower back, but it's mostly more towards the sides, one side more than the other. The side that I have the most cysts on hurts the most, so I'm certain that my pain is because of PCOS. When I got diagnosed and started getting the PCOS under control it started hurting less, but it does still hurt sometimes.

Thanks

I had constant lower back pain that was caused by a uterine fibroid. The pain went away after the fibroid was removed.

There's so many different reasons for back aches that I think it would be hard to narrow it down as a symptom of PCOS.
    ~35 ~ PCOS/IR ~ LAVH due to fibroid, kept ovaries ~

Thanks

I have lower back pain, I injured myself at high school athletics day doing the triple jump, its aggravated by period pain, but I don't think I could be convinced its due to PCOS.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me (28), DH (30)
    Diagnosed Aug 2005.

Symptoms: No periods, obese, excessive hair
    , acne
    Hidden Content
    Food and Nutrition and Economics Teacher
    Tracking calories & exercising - no gimmicks or diets!

Love my gym! Been at it for a year now!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered User TheGigglingFrog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I get pms cramps in my back instead of front, so perhaps you could have something going funky but best to get checked by Dr! Kidney problems can also show up as back pain, and so can bulging disks and so many other things... hard to say what it is...

Thanks

me too!! Ive had back pain since about March this year. Dont know why though. Going to talk to my gp about it next visit.
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm a newbie. But, I also have pain like your talking about. When I start my period, I have cramps in my lower back, not my front. My lower back started hurting back in April, mainly only on my right side. I made an appt. with the ob-gyn and they did the ultrasound and found a cyst in that ovary. After that I didn't have a period for 3 months and the pain got worse. I went back for another ultrasound and they said I had a cyst in my other ovary and my endometrial lining was thick. They doctor had NO explanation for the pain or my cysts. She said that it was because I was overweight. And she suggested I go to a sports med dr to see if something was wrong with my hip or back! SO, I went to another dr and she said the pain was from the cysts and that I had pcos. I still have the pain, but not so bad. It was a dull ache, like I was on my period. I couldn't sit up long because it hurt so bad, and I had to lay down with a heating pad on my lower back. It also didn't hurt as bad the week before I started my period till about a week or two after that. Anyway, I hope this helps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetgirl61399 For This Useful Post:

severe (06-15-2013)

Thanks

I have constant back pain as well, sometimes worse than others. But I have pulled my lower muscles twice at least and my doctor also diagnosed me with Sciatica...
    Kim
    Me: 29 and Furbaby Elvis Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Single Hidden Content
    Diagnosed - May 2006
    Starting BCP (Trinessa) 4/13/13 to deal with horrid cramps.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Hidden Content

Thanks

I've been having lower back pains right in the center of my lower back as well. The pain radiates down my legs as well. I've never had a back injury and this came out of nowhere. I've had it for about 3 1/2 weeks now. I went into the ER last week because the pain was too much. They said it was a pinched nerve and gave me a shot as well as a prescription for Flexeril and a steroid pack. I'm still in pain and going in on Friday to see my doctor. Hopefully I can find out the cause because it's affecting me all day!

Thanks

I've always had lower back pain, but I'm not sure if it is related to my PCOS. Like someone else said, there are alot of reasons why people get lower back pain like kidney problems and such. I would talk to your doctor just to rule anything like that out.
    Lisha:23 DH:23
    Met 1500mg throughout pregnancy & Prenatals
    Gonal-F, Trigger, TI, Preseed, Prog. 2dpo-13weeks=
    BFP on 3/16/10
    It'S A BOY!!!! QUENTIN JAMES!!!

Thanks

yep, i've got it too.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
    - Marianne Williamson

Dx with PCOS in June 2009.

Thanks

Thats weird! I always wondered if my lower back pain was caused by my pcos! Seeing so many people with the same simptom makes me think that it might be..

Have my first pumpkin! winddrop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I used to have lower back pain, but I think it was related to my gallblader.
    Once it was removed, I don't remember having that type of pain any more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winddrop View Post
    I used to have lower back pain, but I think it was related to my gallblader.
    Once it was removed, I don't remember having that type of pain any more.
    I was in the hospital right after Christmas with bad pains and they said I had small gall stones. I'm wondering if that's what's causing the pain now if you haven't had the pain since yours was taken out. Hmm...