S@ssy and Uncensored! StarofEvening's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Positive ANA test..what does it mean?

Hey there!

I got diagnosed with PCOS and IR in April of this year, and I've been on several medications and have seen my symptoms get a lot better. Last week my doctor did a panel of tests on me including an ANA test which has come back positive. He is now referring me to a Rheumatist so I have to wait to find out what the heck is going on until I get that referral and set an appointment.

I don't have any of the Lupus symptoms...nothing hurts...I hardly EVER get sick besides the dizziness that accompanies IR, and I'm a little freaked they are going to come up with some off the wall diagnosis that I don't really want to know I have.

Has anyone else had this happen and what were the results? Any help would be much appreciated!!
    Show me the Skinny!

Thanks

I have heard that a positive ANA means nothing for most. Unless you are experiencing symptoms of a certain disorder (ie--lupus), then there's nothing to worry about.

Our Little Pea is Growing OliviaLeigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi,

I have positive ANA and Rh Factor. I also have scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis. ANA usually indicates an autoimmune disorder (or a genetic predisposition for one).

If you check out aarda.org there is a list of autoimmune problems. Doesn't mean you have one, but it will give you some insight.

A Rheumatologist works with autoimmune problems, so you were given good advice to see a rheumy.

My ob/gyn (3 so far) think a lot of my ob/gyn problems are due to my underlying autoimmune problems....
    OliviaLeighHidden Content

Me~27 Hidden Content Husband~28
    Got Pregnant on Lupron Depot (EDD: 10/8/09)
    Endometriosis
    Surgery - Laparascopy, hysteroscopy & D&C done 7/08
    Cystic Ovaries (Surgery for the cysts)
    Ruptured Cyst
    Scleroderma

Your Beauty should not come from outward adornment.....instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:3-4)

Thanks

My mom had a positive ANA test for lupus but when she went for more conclusive testing they said she doesnt have anything yet and that the potential is there but it may never turn into anything.

GL at your dr's appt.

Thanks

my doctor told me that a quarter of the population that has a postive ANA will never come down with an autoimmune disorder.

theres other tests they do along with it, that if you start getting positive on those then you might have something to be concerned about.

Freaked me out... massively..but it's one of those things I guess. what can ya do *shrugs*
    Dx: Feb 07 IR and PCOS
    Meds: acidophilus, vitamins, Folgard, celexa, metformin

8/10/07 - Dx with Thrombophilia, MTHFR

Married to my wonderful Hubby since 10/18/03 Hidden Content

Elias Frank born 3/9/08 Hidden Content

Thanks

I have a definitive diagnosis of Lupus and Fibromyalgia. My ANA tests came back positive but some people with aoutoimmune disorders come back with a negative ANA test and still have an autoimmune disorder. Does anyone in your family have an autoimmune disorder (ie-Lupus, arthritis, fatigue syndrome, venaligo, etc)? If not then you have a good chance of missing the autoimmune boat. Without the accompanying symptoms a real Rheumy won't diagnose an autoimmune disease. They are tricky to diagnose to begin with and the symptoms are what guide the doctor. Most people with postive ANA tests are quite healthy and are fine. Look at your family health and definitely see the Rheumy.

S@ssy and Uncensored! StarofEvening's Avatar
    Thanks

I really appreciate all of your responses! I still haven't heard from my doctor about my actual appointment with the Rheumatist so I am trying to just breathe through it and not have a heart attack, haha.

As far as I know in my family tree no one has Lupus or Fibromialga? I'll double check with my grandmothers, but I don't think so....If I had something like that I should have symptoms, right? Unless its something random and weird that I haven't put together yet.

I really appreciate all of your responses SO much. THANK YOU!! Its nice to know there is a chance this could be nothing.

EDIT: Both of my uncles on my mother's sides have had autoimmune disorders including Lupus, Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), and Rheumatic fever. Oh joy.
    Last edited by StarofEvening; 09-19-2008 at 01:11 PM.
    Show me the Skinny!