Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Registered User Blue Eyed Enchantress's Avatar
    Thanks

Default PCOS and no insurance.....

Anyone here without insurance? I was diagnosed in March and left my job--consequently my insurance---in July. I have noticed that my weight and boils have gotten worse since being off Metformin.

Anyone here without insurance? What do you do for your PCOS???

Thanks

Met is very inexpensive at lots of pharmacies. Walmart, Target, Kroger, etc., have it for $5 a month or $10 for 3 months. Could you save up for a visit to your doctor and have him renew your prescription?

Registered User Brittniejoy1983's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't have it either, and I'm supposed to be on Metformin, but am nervous because of the side effects (meds tend to hit me hard)... so I haven't taken it. We have been trying to apply for State Aid (we're in NJ so we are going for NJ Family Care--which, depending on income-- covers parents too). But if you find another answer, let me know!!!
    Julia Rose
    b:07-09-2004

BFP 4/13, 4/15, 4/22 Beta levels 4/19: 404; 4/23 2143 Ultrasound 5/4 Hidden Content
    Due Date: 12/2012 (your guess is as good as mine!!!)

Thanks

I called around and got the number for a doctor's office that goes by your income.
    I only pay 25% of the visit which was $25 and she gives me refills for my Met.
    I go to Walmart and refill coz it's only $4 for a month supply and $10 for a 3 months supply.

Fletcher's Mommy! JoyannaWants2BaMommy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

i don't have ins either lost it 2 years ago when hubby changed jobs. i go to a FNP for my regualr dr visits and she knows i don't have ins so she writes all my scripts in one visit or either calls them in for me if i need, unless its' like UTI or somethin. she writes my metformin, my spiro i was on, my thyroid, my asthma meds. she only charges me cost for my thyroid panel wchich for visit and panel is $100. yeah it's alot, but if you check around and try to find a fnp or pa that has an office they r usually cheaper. she hasn't done any pap smears or anything like that, i just shelled out $220 for a papsmear and check up with a new gyn.

Thanks

I haven't got insurance at the moment, either, and it's been preventing me from keeping my hormone levels down. I apparently haven't ovulated in about 8 months, and I haven't been really sure of what to do, other than wait it out until I can get health insurance again.

Registered User splendidwedding's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm single person who doesn't have insurance and the way I get meds is thru the walmart plan. my met. cost for 3months is $10, my bcp that i get there is $9 a month and the most expensive pills i get are the spiro for a month supply is around $30. So when all is said in done i only spent 50 dollars on pills. Which is really well considering my old bcp use to be 250 bucks!! As for doctor appts. I've been lucky to have the same dr. since I was a kid (she's a jack of all trades!), who knows my circumstances and give me a break on the bill. My dentist and Chiro. do it as well.
    dx PCOS 2006
    ~acne~mood swings~IR~hair loss..and gain~weight gain~

Meds:

1000mg Metformin
    Sprintec -28 day
    100mg Spironolactone
    Evening Primrose Oil (3/d)
    B-Complex (2/d)
    Biotin (1/d)

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't know if you qualify but, have you tried Medicaid?
    Thin cyster bmi 19
    2007-vu=1 ovary 2x the other=Dx Idiopathic Hursutism
    2001-Dx PCOS b/c bad acne/AF irreg=given spiro&bcp
    normal androgens/hormones/^cortisol?

Hidden Content

Little drops of water..Make the mighty ocean-Julia Abigail Carney

Thanks

I don't have insurance either so I sure hope met works! I pay to see the GP only $65 visit then met for 1500mg daily a month is about $7. I just call for refills so I won't have to go back in for a long time.
    Sherry 24 Eddie 28
    Mommy of one adorable big boy (adopted)Hidden Content
    Diagnosed 04/06
    3 m/c Hidden Content
    Metformin (started 04/15/09) 1500mg/Prenatals
    BFP 06/15/09!!!
    10/02 IT'S A BOY!!!!! 158 bpm Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

If you don't have insurance try to find a federally qualified health center in your area. I work for one in Florence, SC, and it is amazing. We have sliding scale copays that range from $10-40. Your copayment covers the doctors visit (including PAPs) and labs. We have a pharmacy that works with our patients to get lower costs for prescriptions, and if it is on the Walmart list you can get a 90 day supply for $6. There may be a free clinic in your area also. As far as the care at a FQHC we have strict guidlines that we have to follow with patient care. I can't speak for all FQHC's but ours is like a family, and everyone who comes in the door is treated with the same respect whether they are insured or not. I hope that you can find a place similar. I will try to find a link that provides a search tool for FQHC's. And good luck, i just became full time and insured after 7 years of no insurance so i understand.

Thanks

I recently lost my job and have no insurance. The income based clinic wanted to base my fee off my taxes for last year when I was working rather than my lack of income now so I did not go there. I saw my doctor today and it was 67 dollars for the appointment and then my metformin was four dollars at walmart. Same with my prozac He wrote my prescription for six months and sent it right in to the walmart by my house from there.
    Katy 29
    DH 28

Surprise BFP 11/11/09 Natural Conception

Grayson William is here! Born March, 10 2010 at 36 weeks 0 Days 5 lbs 2 oz 18 inches long

C-section due to failed induction for preeclampsia, 1 week in the NICU

Hidden Content

Suspected pcos since 2003, Official diagnosis 8/6/2009
    Symptoms: Obesity, Insulin Resistance, Major Depressive Disorder, hirsutism, amenorrhea
    Meds: Metformin 1000 mg daily, Prozac 20 mg daily Labetalol 100 mg x 2

Thanks

I am also without health insurance since 2007. I was diagnosed and a couple of months later I lost my job so my PCOS has never been treated. I work at home now but I can't find anything I can afford and I don't qualify for Oregon Health Plan...hopefully we all figure something out soon.

Thanks

Default I am in the same situation but I live in Canada

Hey

I am in the similar situation. I live in mississauga Ontario, Canada. I no longer qualifed for insurance when I stopped being a student. forunately I can afford to purchase metformin but I have not been able to do a physical or visit a doctor and get a full blood work done. My diet is not good so I am very concered that I may have full blown DIABETES. I am SCARED. I have a persistent lower back pain on my left side which makes me think it is my kidneys. I just found out from my friend that due to my status here in canada the only insurance I qualify for will only cover me for no pre-existing condition. I do not know what to do. I feel like my body is just breaking down on me. I am scared!!!!!

I do not even know which doctor in the GTA is good to see since not all doctors understand Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Could anyone here give me some good advice. I am really trying. I plan to join weight watchers and try to keep taking the Metformin.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for starting this thread. Its very informative.
    Hidden Content
    Dx: PCOS 2007, Hypothyroid 2000
    Synthroid 0.05 MG, Yaz

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your good advise.