Thanks

Question Metformin and celiac diease help!

Hi everyone...I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago and didn't start taking metformin right away because I had some other health problems that interefered. I also have celiacs disease meaning I cannot eat gluten products.
    My question is - I have looked up the GI diet a bit and there are a lot of "good" carbs there I cannot have. I can only tolerate things like white/brown rice, corn, tapioca flour, potato flour, etc. So I guess I am just wondering if there is ANYONE else out there who is taking metformin who is a celiac and how they do it??????? Please help! I am loosing my mind here!

thanks,
    Dahlia

Thanks

Hi! Yes, I take met and have a gluten free diet...I'm not getting the connection of your question...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snugglemama View Post
    Hi! Yes, I take met and have a gluten free diet...I'm not getting the connection of your question...
    I think she wants to know what you eat---since low-GI good carbs are apparently things that you guys are sensitive to. Or that high-GI carbs are the main ones you can eat. Something like that.
    Kt (27!)
    dx: PCOS - July 2007, IR/Pre-diabetic - September 2007, IBS/Hiatal Hernia - June 2008, GERD/Barrett's Esophagus - July 2008
    Currently on: Yaz, Met 2x1000mg/day, Activia yogurt+Prilosec OTC 1x/day
    Not TTC, no DH, just me! Hidden Content
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

stick with the brown rice over the white rice

did you know there are 20 types of grains and most of them are gluten free? I was a nutrition major on a gluten free diet (not any longer) and didn't even know that! PLEASE look into and try other whole grains!
    Anne, age 28. Married for 1 year with 2 Boston Terrier babies.

Thanks

Thanks so much - yeah I was concerned about what kinds of grains are safe and stuff with celiac since I need to keep the low Glycemic Index diet on metformin. I took met a few years ago before knowing about the celiac disease and remember having a few incidents with low blood sugar when eating certain things. So, I was hoping that someone could give some tips.
    Thanks annabelle - I will look up some of those grains if I can find it.

Thanks,
    Dahlia

Thanks

welcome to sc i dont eat wheat, either. Ive been on met for years, and am managing ok. i eat a lot of different grains, too. Quinoa, millet, etc.
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Me too! I'm gluten-free, and recently started on Met. I seem to manage all right. I do try to aim for low-GI, but mainly I try to eat smaller carb amounts, and balance them out with protein. Seems to be working, because I feel better. (Although, my weight hasn't budged.....so I probably still need a little work, lol.)

Thanks

Oh, got it! I don't really go by the low-GI diet on met, although with celiac's I do eat a lot of low-GI stuff...like grilled chicken salads, meat without bread, etc. We use a lot of mixes and eat brown rice bread when we use it at all.

Thanks

The metformin is completely independent of the celiacs. The Metformin will help you ovulate and help the insulin resistance if you do have PCOS. Stick to a low-GI and gluten free diet and dont worry about the metformin! =)