Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Hysterosalpingogram & Clomid

I am starting my 1st clomid dose this month.Doc has also suggested for hysterosalpingogram - to check my fallopian tubes.

Now i will take clomid from cd2-cd6 and a day or 2 later i have to go for hysterosalpingogram test.I am concerned that hysterosalpingogram may effect my chances of getting pregnant.Maybe it will have any harmful effect on eggs ,after i have ovulated .I am just confused.I am thinking of starting my 3 month clomd cycle and then if things dosent work out , i can go for hysterosalpingogram after that .Just too confused.I am not even sure if i need this hysterosalpingogram to be done or not,as i have pcos.
    Has anyone come across a situation like this,if yes could you please guide me ..

Thanks

I've had the same thing done. I don't see how it could affect your ovulation or any chances of getting pregnant. as I was told it usually helps clear out your tubes sorta if they are not blocked by damage. but I'm not a Dr.

Registered User LucyInTheSkyWithDiamonds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I haven't had it done myself, but I've read of other cysters on this site, in previous posts, who say that the chances for preg can actually increase the cycle of the HSG. Again, I dont know, but that's what I've read.

Mommy to Kenna and Zoey Headyfeady3's Avatar
    Thanks

I have also been told that the hsg cycle you can actually have a better chance of BFP. The reason they want to do it now is so that you know if there is any reason for you to take clomid or if you HAVE to take other measures to get PG. I had one done and I have a blocked tube so that makes my chances of getting PG less and also can cause me to have another ectopic PG. I say do it, the dr would not have you do something that could be harmful to you or your TTC. As long as you are not PG now there is no reason not to.
    Heather
    Mckenna 5/6/09 6 lbs 8 ozs 18" long
    Zoey 10/8/10 8 lbs 3 ozs 20 " long
    Ava 4/4/12 7 lbs 15 ozs 22.5 " long

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I had the HSG test a week ago after trying two cycles of Clomid. My obgyn actually told me that people have increased fertility for two months after having the test done.

Thanks

Yes--the conception rates INCREASE! after an HSG for the next few cycles, as told to me by my reproductive endocrinologist! Good Luck!!!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Courtney: 27
    DH: 30
    Dx: 5/5/08
    Metformin 1000 mg, Letrozole 2.5mg
    IUI #1: 1/13/09, 1 mature follicle, 1/26/09 BFP!

Thanks

i was told the same - that your chances of fertility may increase, because if anything was sorta blocking your tubes, it may have gotten flushed away by the ink -- so keep trying!
    I just had my HSG done this month, I'm on CD 26 - waiting to see if AF is going to show up or not

Thanks

Oh thats great , i was thinking of postponing my appointment.Thanks all for ur replies,i can think of it with a positive mindset.

Thanks

I had an HSG too. The chances to get pregnant will be higher as other have said. It helped my grandma get pregnant with my uncle. They have been doing them forever!

Thanks

Go for it. Plus, if your insurance covers the HSG, I would not hesitate at all. I went through 3 disappointing rounds of Clomid before my HSG. To our surprise though, I conceived naturally about 1 week after the procedure! We weren't even trying at all because I was expecting to start my next round of Clomid.

So to answer your question, my doctor and the people who performed the hysterosalpingogram agree that the procedure has helped people get pregnant because the dye helps to clear out the tubes.

Good luck!

Thanks

Wink

I started my first round of Clomid this morning. It's actually a Clomid Reaction Test that my doctor recommended because she doesn't think I'm ovulating on my own. I had blood work done on CD4, started Clomid (100MG) today for CD5-9, and will have blood work done again on CD10. She told me to get cracking with hubby and hopefully have a BFP this month.

I'm also doing a HSG test on CD10. I've read lots of good things about increasing pregnancy chances after the HSG.

With the Clomid.... I shouldn't have ovulated by CD10, should I? I'm worried about the iodine from the HSG messing up my eggs while taking Clomid. Have any of you ever had an HSG done while on Clomid? What are your opinions?

International Pond Hopper Gwenneh's Avatar
    Thanks

No, if you're taking it days 5-9 you likely will not have ovulated by day 10. It just doesn't work like that! Day 10 would be *very* early ovulation.
    Gwen: 34, currently navigating parenthood with two.

DS1, born December 2010 after laparoscopy, successful IUI + trigger.
    DS2, born November 2013 after....surprise!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Mommie
    I have to get my HSG test this month also! I have putting it off but from what everyone says it can only help. When are you getting your done? I am probably going around the 12th on my day 8. I did 2 rounds of clomid and to be honest it did not work and the side effects were horrible. I am on femera not and the only side effect is some moodiness. Let me know if you decided to go through and we can be HSG buddies! Good Luck!
    TTC since 6/08 (our first)
    5/19 U/S 5wks 3days -2 small sacs
    5/27-u/s 2 Strong heartbeats measuring perfect! Baby A 122 Baby B 116 We are in shock!
    6/3- u/s 2 babies measuring perfect! Heartbeats are strong Baby A 156 Baby B 154 graduated to OB!
    6/17 OB u/s measuring baby a 9w3day 183 bpm , baby b 9w4d 179 bpm should be delivering by last week of December!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I agree with the PP's. An HSG is a must if you have fertility issues. There is no point in taking Clomid if your tubes are blocked or if you have a uterine abnormality that would inhibit a viable pregnancy (not saying you do, but an HSG can test for many abnormalities). The test does actually increase your chances of conception because it can remove any small blockages and smooth out the inside of your fallopian tubes. I had my HSG in April and conceived in May

Good luck!
    Jenny (29) Hidden Content Chris (31)
    Baby Annalise Rosalie, born January 19, 2010 (Clomid baby) Hidden Content
    Baby Sienna Madelyn, born October 10, 2013 (IVF baby) Hidden Content

Thanks

I found this at this website http://www.advancedfertility.com/hsg.htm:

Does having a dye test improve the chance for getting pregnant?

Pregnancy rates in several studies have been reported to be very slightly increased in the first months following a hysterosalpingogram. This may be due to the fact that the flushing of the tubes with the contrast could open a minor blockage or clean out some debris that may be a factor that is preventing the couple from conceiving.
    Some studies suggest that using oil based contrast provides a slightly larger increase in pregnancy rates than does use of water based contrast. However, the large majority of HSGs are done with water based contrast.
    But we actually tried not to conceive the month of my HSG... it sounds weird, but I just felt that putting iodine in my uterus seemed to make it a less nurturing place for a baby, and wanted to have a regular af before ttc.
    Me - Jen(36), DH - Joe(47), Married April 7, 2007
    BFP 10/08(m/c), BFP 03/09(m/c), BFP 05/09(m/c), BFP 9/10 - Boy! Garrett Randall born 5/12/11
    TTC#2 since 3/13: BFP 6/13(m/c), BFP 1/2/14... hb seen on 1/21. HOPING IT STICKS!!!!!

PCOS + Anti-phospholipid Antibodies, Thrombophilia, Prolactinomas, MTHFR (hetero)
    Taking: Multivitamin, Omega 3s, D3, B6, BA, Progesterone, Metformin, Lovenox, lots of others...
    Hidden Content Hidden Content