Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

It really depends on your insurance. Some insurance companies require more pre op testing and stuff than others. I went from consult to surgery in about 6 weeks, I've known others to take less time and others to take longer. Your best bet is to call your insurance company directly and ask them what procedures they cover and what they need to get approval. Most of them tend to require a BMI of >40, nutritionist eval, psych eval, surgery eval, sleep study, 6 months of physician followed diet, and more or less.

GL!
    Kristy (35) & Adam (38) & DDs Alice Kay & Amanda Kay
    Founding WLS DIVA - RNY 8/3/04
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Default nearly 8 years out

I've kept off a little over 100 pounds. Still at 216 and have been for 3 difficult years (donated a kidney to my father, got my masters in music ed). I may get back to 200, but I don't think I could get any lower without white knuckling it. I hate carrying it all in my belly, but 216 is better than 320 anyday. No regrets about WLS.

Thanks

Aint that the truth! Congrats on keeping off at least 100lbs. You're still in the century club. I'll be 7 yrs next week and have also maintained just over a 100lb weight loss. I tend to bounce between 108-110lbs lost. Going back to basics would be tough mentally but if you're hell bent on it you can do it. Have you looked at the 5DPT? I agree with you though...216 is definitely better than 320. Rock on!

Kristy
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I started taking nutrition classes in April this year. I finished in October, my insurance ok'd the RNY in nov and I have a surgery date for december. My insurance required 6 months of nutrition classes. If I had been on a monitored diet like weight watchers, i would have only had to take 3 months of classes. One gent paid oop and had a lap band inserted in ~3 weeks. Don't let the time frame leading up to the surgery daunt you. It's a radical life change and I found the wait helped me appreciate the magnitude of the decision. I had actually begun the process 3 years ago. At the time, I decided against the procedure, opting instead to continue with the diet and exercise regime I had been taught there. For the most part I've managed to maintain my weight, but the ongoing affects of PCOS and obesity continued. So now, it makes sense to have the operation, because I need the help. You have decades of time ahead of you, don't let something like nine months of waiting stop you from making the decision to make the rest of your life a little easier, should you decide WLS is the correct choice for you.

Thanks

hello,just posting to viow and thank u all for sharing

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It took me 2 years the first time I decided to do it, but that was after extensive research for being so young and trying to decide if I wanted bypass or lap band. I chickened out at 18, but October 3rd 2011, I manned up, and had Gastric Bypass. That only took me 6 months of 'supervised diet' per my insurance, and then I had to see my NUT, a psych, and the doctor and ta da!!! I had a set back, because of insurance, it was going to be in september, but I got it fixed and they put me on the list for ASAP surgery. I have lost a little over 60lbs so far, and I feel amazing. This sounds kinda crazy, but my PCOS symptoms have almost dissapeared! I have no cystic acne, less of the 'manly' hair growth. (none on my face!) & before I was allowed to start my BC again, I had TWO NORMAL PERIODS! Its the best decesion I have ever made. & If anyone has any questions, I may be able to help in aswering.
    'The stars are always there But we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms.
    Tell them to remember hope...We have hope.'

Hidden Content Add Me =]
    [But tell me who you are pleasee]
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Finally Got A Furbaby! <3 King Louie-Dalmatian/American Bulldog

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Agreed! (and hopefully this is post 5!)

Thanks

I had gastric sleeve surgery in Sept 2011. I have lost 61lbs so far and my periods have returned, and they are normal. I have almost no pcos symptoms at this point. I havent tried to concieve yet im still to new out of surgery to try but it was definetly the best descision that I have ever made. My starting weight was 265 and I am 204lbs today. I am also available to answer any questions if I can.

Thanks

Thanks so much for sharing - this site is such an amazing resource and source of inspiration for me!!! Jewels
    In reality, everyone struggles... The seed of happiness only blooms when one stays strong and never gives up.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    - Daisaku Ikeda

Thanks
    Blog Entries

little update on girlytime since surgery...I was having normal periods. Now, they are coming so often I dont know what to do. my doc switched my BCP but it made it worse, so I am getting halfway thru a pill pack and starting my period. when I see the GYN in feb I hope she helps me out. its becoming a pain in the ass lol
    'The stars are always there But we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms.

Hidden Content Add Me =]
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

The links are not working for me... I have 16 posts and they still don't come up??????

Mommy &amp; WLS Diva goddess819's Avatar
    Thanks

Bec - One reason for your periods could be from the increase in estrogen that is being released from your fat cells as you're loosing weight. Another thing is that BCPs are not the birthcontrol of choice for RNYers. We just don't absorb enough of it for it to be as effective as it needs to be. I've known many a postop who'd gotten pregnant on BCPs.

GL getting your AF issues resolved...but typically once your weight loss stabilizes your cycles should too.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered User Mrs_Jackson_2012's Avatar
    Thanks

This thread is so encouraging. I have been considering wls surgery for a while and I just pray that God will lead me down the right path.

I am 27yrs old and I weigh over 300 pounds. I love myself and my husband loves me too. I honestly want to do this so that I can be healthier and my future children.

Thanks

Love reading all your stories. This is an invaluable tool for me now that I'm beginning to research WLS. I'm tired of spinning my wheels!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Update (:

Its been ten months and I have gone from 310 to 175. I'm happier, healthier, and loving life. <3

Hidden Content Add Me =]
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content