Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question Vitex and provera, how to take them together

Hello all my lovely ladies! My ob/gyn has me taking 10 days with of Provera starting on cycle day 12 every month. I keep getting told that this is definately not going to help me get pregnant. My gyno thinks I have to have a year of TTC before I can start on Clomid even though I have PCOS and my insurance wont cover it either way. (We are now TTC for 6 months) I would like to start taking Vitex to try and promote ovulation but I read you cannot take the Vitex while on the Provera. What is my best way to work this? I feel like cycle day 12 is too early for Provera already and I want to give Vitex a try. I thought about taking the Vitex until about day 14 or so and then switch to the Provera like he said for 10 days, and then continue on Vitex after my last pill. Any advice???
    Jessica (26) & Patrick (28)
    TTC #1 since June 2008
    December 9th 2009- BFP!!
    Lillian Marie- Born July 11th 2010, 4lbs 4ozs 17in
    TTC #2 since December 2010
    June 13th 2012- BFP!!
    Sept 5th- It's a girl!!!
    Annabeth Irelynne- Born February 6th 2013 6lbs 11ozs 18.25in

Thanks

hi rocky,
    have you been having cycles at all this year?
    Hidden Content

Me (28)
    Slim PCOS, IBS, Gluten Int., Latex HS, PMDD
    Raw Multi, Magnesium lotion, Flax oil, Green Smoothies, Maca, Probiotics & Coconut Kefir.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had a few. I remember having a natural period in April then I had a provera induced period in July and then had a chemical pregnancy the following month. I had brief brown spotting in early October and thought I was pregnant but I wasnt and that was the only bleeding I had. I am now on day 5 of Provera to have another period. I bought some Vitex because it was recommended by my best friend who is also having infertility issues. I just read about the soy too and thought of trying that this cycle. I'm not sure how to work the Provera with a herbal or if I should do the provera at all since everyone tells me it will make it harder.
    TTC #1 since June 2008
    December 9th 2009- BFP!!
    June 13th 2012- BFP!!
    Sept 5th- It's a girl!!!

Thanks

yea - i haven't used provera but my doc suggested it initially to induce a period and 'clean' me out since i'd been amenorrheaic (sp?) for so long... didn't have to though b/c the vitex did the trick!
    I think the provera works for that but won't help you ovulate, which is what will make your cycles regular (and not to mention help you concieve!). Progesterone is mostly a product of ovulation, and taking it before ovulation has occured can actually prevent it from happening b/c the feedback your brain is recieving is that there is already progesterone there so O has occured (even though it didn't if that makes sense). So if not ovulating is also stopping you having regular periods, do you see how provera would actually do nothing for the issue but give you one induced period and somewhere to start counting from?
    Is your LH elevated like a lot of cysters? And do you have insulin resistance?
    There's some info in the alternative medicine stickys about vitex and a couple of other herbs, white peony is one - if I were you I would probably try the vitex on its own or with a couple of other PCOS healthy herbs to try and establish a regular cycle. It can take 3-6 months, but I think it is easier on your body than using clomid to induce ovulation and it helps balance all the hormones.
    If you think your progesterone is low vitex can raise it and lengthen your luteal phase, plus you can use NPC after O for this too.
    It is a strong herb though, and I believe if you can afford it, its best to go see a qualified herbalist or naturopath and have them monitor you.
    Hope this helps
    Hidden Content

Me (28)
    Raw Multi, Magnesium lotion, Flax oil, Green Smoothies, Maca, Probiotics & Coconut Kefir.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think I will finish my provera to have this AF and then switch to herbals. I already have the Vitex. Did it regulate your first period? And is it safe to use vitex and soy. Like taking vitex all month except for the 5 days when you take the soy around the beginning of the cycle. I think I have elevated LH, I wasnt tested but when I used to take OPKs I was getting positives randomly through the whole month. If I take it in the morning I get a positive almost everytime.
    TTC #1 since June 2008
    December 9th 2009- BFP!!
    June 13th 2012- BFP!!
    Sept 5th- It's a girl!!!

Thanks

I've heard positive OPKs are common in PCOS b/c of the elevated LH in some cysters. One thing to be aware of with vitex is it can elevate LH but apparently is still beneficial b/c it is balancing the other factors.
    My first couple of cycles I got from the vitex were very normal and then the next two were slightly long (around 35 days from memory) and very heavy - I was sick as a dog with cramps and vomitting the first couple of days but I don't believe this has to do with vitex but rather a receptor wake up effect after nooo cycles for so many years.
    I stopped taking it after the first two I think b/c I was having severe PMS depression, again probably just my body settling down. I was also having back cramping from midcycle to period, and together with the heavy flow it was starting to look like endometriosis to me.
    The first heavy month I thought I was pg b/c of symptoms but no BFP. Period came late and was a doozy, still wonder if it was a kinda chemical pg that didn't implant!
    I went and got myself some progesterone cream from the doc and some DIM to try and tone down the oestrogen activity which it has. My AFs are much lighter and barely any cramping. The weird thing for me was that even though I was displaying oestrogen dominant symptoms, I obviously had progesterone going on b/c i was veiny all over all of a sudden.
    The last cycle I had almost nil PMS depression and thought I could have been pg b/c of 2ww symptoms.
    I think it's great you'd like to try natural first. I'd track your BBT to see if you ovulate (it could be a couple of months), and then find out how long your luteal phase is - this generally indicates how much or how little progesterone your making which is needed for a bubby to attach.
    I would think using soy isoflavones CD5-9 like clomid would be perfectly fine, but keep in mind that other soy sources like soy milk and tofu can affect thyroid hormone levels negatively and hypothyroid doesn't help fertility either.
    Sorry so long! I just love to exchange knowledge and find different peoples scenarios and successes so interesting!
    Hidden Content

Me (28)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah I planned on tracking BBT I have just had a hard time getting into the habit of it. All I know is I definately want to get pregnant and if provera monthly will mess that up I dont want to take it. Not to mention since I began the provera I have been depressed beyond believe. I cant imagine spending most of my time feeling like this.
    TTC #1 since June 2008
    December 9th 2009- BFP!!
    June 13th 2012- BFP!!
    Sept 5th- It's a girl!!!