Thanks

Default Clomid/ Pros and Cons

Hi Ladies,

My Dr wants to prescribe Clomid. I am really unsure if I want to go this route being that I really dont know much about it. DH and I have been TTC for about 9 months now. Can someone please tell me what the side effects are and if the medication harms the baby in any way?

hanging in... ForWorseOrForBetter's Avatar
    Thanks

DH and I were TTC for 11 months - no medication other than my Met.
    It was discovered that I don't ovulate on my own, so I needed some help.

Just 4 weeks ago, my RE prescribed my first fertility drug. 100mg Clomid CD3-7, then I had a Novarel (5000iu HCG) trigger shot on CD15. I had 4 great follies at trigger. I ovulated CD17 - BD CD14, 15, 17, 19, 21 and tested POSITIVE on many HPTs on CD27 - 10dpo. 10dpo beta was 70. I'm 4 weeks preggo!

Some things to keep in mind:
    - You should be closely monitored on Clomid. You don't want to risk overstimulating.

- I know many women that needed 3 rounds of clomid to start seeing results (ovulation)... don't get discouraged after 1 month!

- Some women experience side effects on Clomid. I took it at night, right before bed, and the only side effect I experienced was hot flashes. I was just HOT all day and all night for about a week.

Good Luck - hope this helped a little bit!
    Nicole & DH: 26
    LOGAN PAUL
    born 07/30/09
    7lbs 14oz ~ 21" long

Hidden Content

Thanks

Wink

TVONB,

hello!

As you can see, Clomid is a big topic in this department. You will get varied answers depending on who you ask. Here is my 2 cent opinion

I took Clomid days 5-9 100mg which was told to me by RE the best for less follicles more mature. I O'd around day 20ish on it without lining issues--another common side effect of this drug. What I just hated about it wa how emotional it made me, hot flashes and headaches.

I tortured myself for the standard 3 rounds, then switched to Femara which is soooooooo much better! When I asked the RE why they gave me Clomid, they said it was the standard beginning drug to see how the follies respond.

There is no harm to baby if you get preggo on a cycle, as it has been proven safe for over 25 years.

Good Luck with this journey!

Judy

Thanks

Hi!
    Yes do not be worried about clomid. It is the 1st fertility treatment almost all of us take! And it has great proven success when combined with Metformin.
    I am on my 1st round clomid, took it cd 5-9, and I took the lowest dose at 50mg which you likely will as well. The overstimulating is always a possibility but my Dr says very low risk on the lower doses. Side effects I experienced was hot flashes, headaches, very emotional, but mostly only during the 5 days I was taking the meds.
    Other effects you could have are thinned lining and less CM. Not sure if you can do anything about the thinned lining (not to worry tons of women have had successful preg's off clomid!), but the CM you could use a product such as Preseed or Preconceiveplus for bding.
    If you are only working with your OB you are likely to not get much monitoring. I am still currently working my with OB. I went in for the 7 dpo or around cd21 progesterone test to confirm O, then I go in around every cd5 of the next cycle for an ultrasound before I can get another rx. We will try 3-4 rounds of clomid before moving on to an RE.
    Ali (35) DH (37) married 2004
    DD1 Natalie - 7 1/2 - Met ER 2000MG
    DS Dylan - 4 - 2nd round Clomid 50mg + Met ER 2000mg
    DD2 Madelyn - born 8/17/13 -- Met ER 2000MG
    Dx: PCOS - not IR - thin cyster
    Meds: Metformin ER 1,000mg, Mirena IUD

Thanks

I just finished my 5th round of clomid. I ovulated 1 time with it and again in Nov so I am in the 2ww right now. It worked better once I started taking metformin with it and after 2 rounds all the side effects stopped. The ones I had were hot flashes and crying moments but it only lasted on the days I took the clomid so it sometimes goes away quickly. Good luck!
    *Sarah (24) Mike (27)
    DX May 2007 after a year of TTC
    TTC 3 years
    7 Rounds of clomid
    2 Rounds of femara
    4 Injection cycles

Current: Follistim 175, Menopur 75, Progesterone Supp, Ovidrel 6/2

Testing 6/16

Thanks

Thank you ladies soo much for your replies. This gives me something to consider..

Hoping its my Month!!! First-Lady-Love's Avatar
    Thanks

Tvon B,

I just finished my first round of Clomid of 50mg I'm also taking Metformin 1000mg. And I can honestly say that I didn't have any side effects at all. I have been checking my cervical mucus and using Clearblue Fertility monitor and both says that ovulation is approaching. I got a high level on the monitor for a few days. So me and DH has been BDing every other day. I'm just waiting on the PEAK level on the monitor to know that I am about to ovulate.
    But I do wish you start the Clomid & metformin combo. A lot of women have sucesses when they use both.

Good luck to you!
    Me=28 , DH = 29

Meds: Provera, Metformin 1000mg, Clomid 50mg
    Vitamins: PreCare Conceive Prenatal Vitamins
    (Nov 08 - March 09) NO O

Provera, Metformin 1000mg, Clomid 100mg (April 2009 - May 2009)O'd in May but BFN
    Vitamins: Vinate One Prenatal Vitamins

June 2009 - Femara 7.5mg. & Metformin 1000mg
    Vitimans: Vinate One Prenatal Vitamins
    Two mature follies 21mm & 19mm. HCG June 15,2009. Praying for a sticky bun!!!
    HCG blood test scheduled for 6/29/09
    HPT test scheduled for 7/01/09

Thanks

Two things to add (I agree with other posters, some folks have side effects, some don't and it is generally safe to use, no known effects on baby):

(1) if you are older (typically 35+ counts as older) you should do a bit more reading as there is more controversy on effectiveness and side effects at that age.

Having said that, most REs still start with Clomid, even for 35+.

(2) i wouldn't do Clomid for too many cycles if it does not seem to be working for you; some research shows that it can thin your lining over time, and the effect can last after you stop taking it (although it is not a permanent change). this may be tied to the 35+, but i have seen other posts from women under 35 about it as well.

how many is too many cycles? not clear. something to talk to your doc about, perhaps not until you see how you are responding.

at my clinic they typically do 3 tries of a particular tx before moving you on. with clomid it could be more than 3 if they are adjusting the dosage over the first few cycles.

keep asking questions!

best of luck,
    -tia

- Miracles and surprises happen everyday.

- Life is what happens when we are busy making plans.

Thanks

I have just finished my first round of clomid 50mg days 3-7 I didn't have any side effects usually my AF is about 5-6 days and when I started my clomid day 3 the next day it was gone.I called my doctors office and they said that's OK,has this happened to anyone before?

Registered User Legally_Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello. I'm starting round 2 of Clomid soon and also do not ovulate on my own.
    I didn't really have side effects except a hot flash or two, but know of women who get pretty bad mood swings and other stuff.
    The pro is that I ovulated for the first time in forever. Even if this attempt fails, at least you get the chance to conceive, whereas it seems you wouldn't without medication.

Check with your insurance to see if they cover it. Mine didn't (Blue Cross California), but it isn't too expensive ($54). But if you have AAA they give discounts to certain pharmacies like Long's Drugs (don't know what this is in the Midwest or East Coast).

Talk it over with your doctor and good luck!
    Michelle (24) James (27)
    Married 7/07 TTC 11/07

PCOS, arcuate uterus, thin cyster
    Salpingitis isthmica nodosa (SIN - congenital tubal infertility)

2 1/2 years of ttc = 2 OBGYN's, 2 RE's, 8 ovulatory cycles through Clomid, soy, or Femara, 1 BFP, 1 m/c, 1 MRI, 2 HSG's, 2 incorrect diagnoses of uterine malformations, 1 lap/hys
    All to learn that IVF is our only option.

Hopefully starting IVF in December

Blog: Hidden Content

Thanks

You can look in my sig to see how I responded to clomid. Don't be hesitant to try it! I can really work wonders for you if you are not ovulating. I have never really had any side effects from it. I am not monitored on it since I am only seeing an OB. I chart my temp to confirm if I O or not and I also have a monitor I use. Wishing you luck!
    Hidden Content
    Jill (25) - DH (35)
    TTC since July 2007
    Jan 08 = 50 mg Clomid = No O
    March 08 = 100 mg Clomid = O on CD17 = BFP!!M/C @ 8w
    July 08 - 100 mg Clomid = No O
    Sept 08 - 150 mg Clomid = O on CD17 = BFN
    Oct 08 - 150 mg Clomid = No O
    Nov 08 - 150 mg Clomid = O on CD17 = BFN
    Dec 08 - 150 mg Clomid = O on CD20 = BFN
    Jan 08 - 5 mg Femara = O on CD 23 = BFP!!
    Baby Boy - Due November 2nd, 2009

Thanks

I did 3 rounds of clomid 50 mgs. I ovulated the first two times but not the third time. My fourth round I did 100mgs and I O'ed around cd 21. I did have some hot flashes on 100mgs but it was not unbearable. Anyways, I got pregnant on that last cycle of 100mgs so I am a clomid success story! And when we decide to try again in the future I will def try Clomid first. GL
    Hidden Content

***Celeste***

Me-30 DH-30

happy mama to Lincoln 12/24/08 and Logan 9/21/10.

Our new lil surprise due Sept 2012

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content